New User 1000

Refused at US Consulate in Montreal

357 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just received email from Congresswoman Lois Frankel. Note that now they admit to receiving the documentation from May.. So 8 weeks from May???

Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 4:05 PM
To: Marciano, Tina
Subject: RE: FW: MTL201

The Honorable Lois Frankel
United States House of Representatives

Attention: Tina Marciano

Dear Congresswoman Frankel:

Thank you for your e-mail communication regarding the fiancé(e) visa case of Andrew on behalf of Vanda

We are pleased to confirm that the Visa Unit received the additional documents submitted by the applicant in May and June 2015, and the case is pending review by the consular officer. The adjudication process generally takes a little more time for fiancé(e) visas. At this time the review process takes up to eight weeks. As soon as the review is complete, we will provide your office and your constituent and beneficiary further details regarding the status of the fiancé(e) visa application.

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the U.S. visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S. Nonetheless, the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive administrative processing. While we cannot predict when the processing of this applicant’s visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the State Department are aware of her concerns and that we will contact the applicant as soon as we have updated details regarding the status of the case.

The U.S. Consulate General in Montreal is committed to provide your constituent and the beneficiary of this case full and fair consideration consistent with applicable United States laws, rules, and regulations of processing immigrant visa applications upon conclusion of the administrative processing.

Meanwhile, your constituent and the beneficiary of this case are welcome to regularly visit https://ceac.state.gov/CEAC if they wish to verify the status of the case online. The online system has the most up-to-date status information. We do not have any additional information to what is provided by the online status check system.

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your constituent.

Thank You.
Sincerely,
Consular Correspondence Unit (PS)
U.S. Consulate General
Montreal, Canada

It's most likely 8 weeks from the last thing they received. You probably won't hear anything until July 31st, or even more likely August 3rd, since July 31st is a Friday. They'll probably keep saying the same thing over and over again until 8 weeks has passed, then they could easily say that it's in review and say that might take even longer.

Tbqh, they seem to be scrutinizing your case hard just based on the things you've said yourself. I think that's honestly why it's taking so long, the proof of domicile problem then the "I promise I'll have a job when I get in the US" (which is how THEY view it) problem. They could be doing further digging.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

Hang in there everyone. I know it's tough. Looking forward to hearing some good news on this thread very soon. :)

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Timeline

Had to send this tonight: (i posted the email above from Lois Frankel)

Family and Friends:

It is with deep regret that we are sending this email. After months of anxiously waiting for our upcoming nuptials and move to Florida, we are still waiting for news from the consulate. Since May 6th Ethan and I (Vanda) have been without our passports and with NO word from the consulate and only 11 days before our wedding, there is no way, pending a miracle, that we will have our passports on time. The Montreal US Consulate has a reputation for their sloth like work habits, add this to the 2 weeks of the US Consulates around the world not being able to print visas due to a "computer glitch" (convenient as it is the beginning of summer, and happened the same time last year) and every holiday in Quebec is a national holiday to the consulate. (Bitter you ask....YES)
The problem with holding off the wedding for another date, is that once we do finally get the visas, we have 90 days in which we are to get married. I am sure it will be difficult for our wedding guests to rebook their holidays with such short notice. We have not cancelled anything with Sundreamer Cruises as of yet in hopes of a miracle, in which case, if you don't hear my screams of joy, we will email again to let everyone know that the wedding is still on.
We feel horrible for our guests who have set aside vacation time to spend with us and especially sick for those who have spent money on plane fare and lodging, and request you to send us your costs for us to reimburse your travel expenses.
July 13th is the closing of the house, so please note if you are trying to contact us we will only be available by cell phones or email. From July 13th to the 23rd we are staying in Toronto at the Chelsea Hotel, and from the 23rd to ??? we are staying at the Staybridge Suites in Markham.
Again we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.
Vanda, Andy and Ethan
Below is an email received just as I was typing this. We have been exploring all avenues on helping with our case. As you can see, the Montreal US Consulate works on its own timeline. (had to change this sentence about 3 times to void it of profanity)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anything on your case changed on CEAC? Nothing has changed for me also. I called NVC yesterday and spoke to a visa officer who said the same thing the letter said. My case is in administrative processing and that there is no define deadline. It has been almost a month and half since the interview and all our plans have been shattered. Not only that, I feel so depressed and frustrated. This has given both of us enormous stress. Now my husband is flying back on Saturday due to no visa for me.

Timeline

Nothing has changed in our status either.. Still Administrative processing. And yes, it is shattering.. We know and accept failure in our lives but never let it define us. I will drive this until resolution one way or another. I'm still waiting to hear from the White House. I suggest every American in our similar situation stand up and exhaust every avenue possible to drive the Consulate to stop their bullying and controlling tactics. Really?? Being warned in an email that "Sending multiple inquires regarding the same issue when you have already been answered will cause additional delay to your file." Is utter BS.

Just as a note, there was a computer glitch last year but not the year before or the year before that... I received my visa in June the next day in 2013. Someone or something was hacking into the US DOS and OPM. Which means the government needed to secure their stuff. The fact that anything was fixed in 2 weeks is a miracle in US government standards.

The reason why I think it's likely a hack? Because my husband now has 1.8 million dollars insurance for the next year in case someone tries to steal his identity. Someone hacked the servers for the US government OPM and they took his information as an employee.

Also , if you aren't aware, the US government has checks, upon checks, upon checks, upon checks to do things. So while I don't necessarily like how the government does things, I understand the need to do things right the first time, no matter how long it takes, which is the stand from where they come from.

Someone else had to submit domicile documents in December. They did so in Jan. They got their visa in May.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Has anything on your case changed on CEAC? Nothing has changed for me also. I called NVC yesterday and spoke to a visa officer who said the same thing the letter said. My case is in administrative processing and that there is no define deadline. It has been almost a month and half since the interview and all our plans have been shattered. Not only that, I feel so depressed and frustrated. This has given both of us enormous stress. Now my husband is flying back on Saturday due to no visa for me.

Andy & Vanda (and really everyone else caught in the MTL waiting game..) I feel so bad for you guys. I have shed enough tears over this situation to last a lifetime but my heart breaks for you guys having to think of postponing your wedding. The only thing I can say is that try to stay positive. As a caterer I can tell you that I have seen weddings cancelled and postponed for different reasons but sooner or later the wedding takes place and somehow the joy and happiness is probably more so because of the journey. I am hoping your job is still available for you. I have been waiting for over 16 months to see my hubby and have my family together again so I know the torture of waiting .. I am not sure anymore what is worst being on AP indefinitely or being stuck on READY since 6/2.. I also reached out to my Congressman and other than the names and visa category my letter was the same as yours and I also had received the same rude response to my inquiry from MTL.. Hang in there. NLR's date calculations are correct so you are getting close. I do think that although it doesn't move them along any faster knowing that there are other eyes on your case will cause them to hold to the 8 weeks. I will always be grateful for VJ and the people that have connected with me because if it wasn't for my Faith and and the VJ community I think I would have lost my mind.

Timeline

I got a response today from US consulate and it is not something I want to hear. I am unsure of why I am still under AP over a month. This is just saddening and breaks my heart.

Good day,

We reviewed our consular records and confirm that your visa application is still undergoing administrative processing.

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S. Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive administrative processing. While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the State Department are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete.

Meanwhile, you are welcome to regularly visit https://ceac.state.gov/CEAC/ if you wish to verify the status of your case online.

If you wish to have your passport returned for travel purposes, you may request it by completing the public inquiry form here. We will then return the passport using the Loomis courier services and request it back when the administrative processing is complete.

I hope that this information is useful.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Just joined in as wait times are so frustrating @@@

Was the Montreal consulate always notorious of being so slow?

Im Interested to know if anyone ever received their passport before the end of the 8 week processing time?
we are in the same boat, got tangled with the glitch downfall and sent additional documents on June 18th which set us back to another 8 weeks of wait.
Been with a Ready Status since June 28th, after the system resurrected.

Embassy requested us to not bother them with questions no more and just wait. so we are waiting, my self, wife and our 3yo daughter, crashing in a friends apartment. aint easy.

interview was in October

passport sent in April (missing pages.)

New passport sent May 15th

arrived on May 29th

Status changed to Ready on June 28th

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone know what they ask at the port of entry? You give them your immigrant packet and do they interview you again?? Please advise

Thank you!! :)

Do you know what they ask at the port of entry? You give them your immigrant packet and do they interview you again?? Please advise

Congratulations!!

Does anyone know what they ask at the port of entry? You give them your immigrant packet and do they interview you again?? Please advise

Do you know what they ask at the port of entry? You give them your immigrant packet and do they interview you again?? Please advise

Congratulations!!

Have you read the reviews?

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hi All

I had my interview in June 22nd, 2015. The CO asked for a joint sponsor and required documentation (he also kept my passport). Which I was able to provided same day while I was still in Montreal. I had it courier at my expense to there Montreal mailing address. I'm still in AP status first it said June 25 and it says July 8. What does this mean? As well does anyone have an email as to contact US immigration in Montreal.

Thanks

DSH...

Timeline

We are in a similar position. My hubby interviwed on 5/5 and was given 221 g for missing a document NVC never requested or gave checklist for and a joint sponsor. Provided and sent via Loomis .Delivered on 5/19..but consulate didn't update until 5/29..File updated from AP to READY on 6/2. File updated on 6/3,6/4 & 6/8 but still on READY..Finally sent email today will see what the response is..And so we wait and ......wait..!!!

What email address do you send to inquire about information?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.