I&G

Working abroad and not sure I can obtain US tax return transcripts

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

We are in the NVC phase now and am collecting the packet for the Affidavit of Support. I am having a hard time getting my tax return transcripts for the past 3 years.

I live and work abroad with my wife and have filed my US tax return for every single year abroad. However, when I go to order my transcripts over the phone or online, I am not able to. I get the message "The information you have entered does not match our records." However, the info I entered is exactly what was on my last tax return.

I am not sure what to do, I called the IRS transcript phone line several time but it is automated - its not possible to talk to a real person!

I am mailing in a form 4505-T, but I am now worried that maybe my transcripts will still not be available. I have changed addresses in the past several years, and I have informed the IRS about this using their form 8822. Maybe they never got them in the first place all these years?

Can you get through the NVC phase without having the tax transcripts from the IRS?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We are in the NVC phase now and am collecting the packet for the Affidavit of Support. I am having a hard time getting my tax return transcripts for the past 3 years.

I live and work abroad with my wife and have filed my US tax return for every single year abroad. However, when I go to order my transcripts over the phone or online, I am not able to. I get the message "The information you have entered does not match our records." However, the info I entered is exactly what was on my last tax return.

I am not sure what to do, I called the IRS transcript phone line several time but it is automated - its not possible to talk to a real person!

I am mailing in a form 4505-T, but I am now worried that maybe my transcripts will still not be available. I have changed addresses in the past several years, and I have informed the IRS about this using their form 8822. Maybe they never got them in the first place all these years?

Can you get through the NVC phase without having the tax transcripts from the IRS?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

See IRS web site for link to free downloadable transcripts.

Just saw this article posted today. Might be why you can't get your transcripts...

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/26/pf/taxes/irs-website-data-hack/index.html

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Filed: Timeline

try this page for info-

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-Internationally

if no help then another suggestion because Im not sure what error you are getting when (that article above is scary!) it could be the system is down but I know the last time I used it I typed in a variation of ST instead of Street and it worked as an address because its computer based, so if you filled out your taxes as avenue you must type in avenue as the address for an exact match again not ave or av

Timeline

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I ended up calling the International Taxpayer Service Call Center to see what I could find out from them. While they weren't able to arrange for the delivery of my tax return transcripts, they were able to confirm which address of mine they have on file. Thankfully it is the one I am at, so they did receive my tax returns after all.

Unfortunately I still can't order my transcripts via the online and phone routes - no idea why, can only suspect a computer system glitch since I confirmed my address with the IRS. Not surprising given the recent news about the security breach!

Will need to request the transcripts the old fashion way via the postal service by sending out form 4505-T. We'll see how that goes.

Hope this is helpful for anyone encountering a similar issue.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My husband had the exact same issue, online system refused his foreign log-in address. He mailed in that form however, and got his transcript surprisingly quick, so there's that. :)

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I ended up calling the International Taxpayer Service Call Center to see what I could find out from them. While they weren't able to arrange for the delivery of my tax return transcripts, they were able to confirm which address of mine they have on file. Thankfully it is the one I am at, so they did receive my tax returns after all.

Unfortunately I still can't order my transcripts via the online and phone routes - no idea why, can only suspect a computer system glitch since I confirmed my address with the IRS. Not surprising given the recent news about the security breach!

Will need to request the transcripts the old fashion way via the postal service by sending out form 4505-T. We'll see how that goes.

Hope this is helpful for anyone encountering a similar issue.

Hello,

I was in a similar situation. They will mail it to you if you talk to them, but it can take a long time.

The fastest way is to call them and request that they fax it to you. You'll need a US fax number, which I'm guessing you don't have since you're working abroad. But just do a search online and there are plenty of services where you can pay less than $10 and get a US fax number. Then just call IRS and ask to have it faxed to that number, you'll receive it as a PDF from the fax service. Then just print it and that's it. That's what I did and had my 3 years of transcripts within 1 day.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I also sent out the 4505-T before I requested it by fax. I received the transcripts by mail about a month after I got them by fax.

Edited by DM_G

USCIS
4/8/14 - Sent I-130
4/17/14 - Received NAO 1
4/29/14 - I-130 Approval/NAO 2

NVC
5/8/14 - Case received
6/2/14 - Case number/IIN assigned
6/11/14 - DS-261 Completed online
6/11/14 - AOS Bill invoiced and paid
6/13/14 - AOS Bill "PAID" status
6/16/14 - AOS Package sent
6/23/14 - AOS Package arrived at NVC
6/30/14 - AOS Package scanned
7/15/14 - IV Bill invoiced and paid
7/17/14 - IV Bill "PAID" status
7/18/14 - IV Package sent
7/18/14 - DS-260 Completed online
7/24/14 - IV Package arrived at NVC
7/28/14 - IV Package scanned
8/7/14 - AOS Reviewed and Accepted (called to confirm) - 27 business days from scan
8/11/14 - False checklist email regarding Civil Documents for DS-260

9/17/14 - Case Complete - 51 days from last scan date

10/3/14 - Interview Scheduled

11/04/14 - Interview (Approved)

1/??/15 - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My husband sent a request by mail, and he got it within 11 days mailed to Sweden.

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

Timeline

Hello,

I was in a similar situation. They will mail it to you if you talk to them, but it can take a long time.

The fastest way is to call them and request that they fax it to you. You'll need a US fax number, which I'm guessing you don't have since you're working abroad. But just do a search online and there are plenty of services where you can pay less than $10 and get a US fax number. Then just call IRS and ask to have it faxed to that number, you'll receive it as a PDF from the fax service. Then just print it and that's it. That's what I did and had my 3 years of transcripts within 1 day.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I also sent out the 4505-T before I requested it by fax. I received the transcripts by mail about a month after I got them by fax.

Thanks for your tip.

Which number did you call the IRS on? When I called the international service center the person I spoke to didn't seem to really know what they were doing. They wouldn't let me order the transcripts, they just directed me to the 450-T form, which I sent out about 8 business days ago.

Thanks for your tip.

Which number did you call the IRS on? When I called the international service center the person I spoke to didn't seem to really know what they were doing. They wouldn't let me order the transcripts, they just directed me to the 450-T form, which I sent out about 8 business days ago.

It was the US number 800-908-9946. I believe it was shown to me after I tried obtaining the taxes online, and after 3 failed attempts (because foreign address) they gave this number to call.

USCIS
4/8/14 - Sent I-130
4/17/14 - Received NAO 1
4/29/14 - I-130 Approval/NAO 2

NVC
5/8/14 - Case received
6/2/14 - Case number/IIN assigned
6/11/14 - DS-261 Completed online
6/11/14 - AOS Bill invoiced and paid
6/13/14 - AOS Bill "PAID" status
6/16/14 - AOS Package sent
6/23/14 - AOS Package arrived at NVC
6/30/14 - AOS Package scanned
7/15/14 - IV Bill invoiced and paid
7/17/14 - IV Bill "PAID" status
7/18/14 - IV Package sent
7/18/14 - DS-260 Completed online
7/24/14 - IV Package arrived at NVC
7/28/14 - IV Package scanned
8/7/14 - AOS Reviewed and Accepted (called to confirm) - 27 business days from scan
8/11/14 - False checklist email regarding Civil Documents for DS-260

9/17/14 - Case Complete - 51 days from last scan date

10/3/14 - Interview Scheduled

11/04/14 - Interview (Approved)

1/??/15 - POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I know that lots of websites will only allow you access to personal information if you are inside the country where the website is based. Since you are trying to access your documents outside of the US the IRS might be blocking you. If you can access a SECURE!!! VPN in the US, you might want to try doing that and seeing if you can access your documents through there. My university has one, and lots of international corporations have them, so if you those options you can try that. The other thing you could do is get someone that you trust in the US to try and access them for you.

This may not be the case, and someone else can correct me if they were able to access the documents he wants while outside of the US, but it is worth a try.

Timeline

It was the US number 800-908-9946. I believe it was shown to me after I tried obtaining the taxes online, and after 3 failed attempts (because foreign address) they gave this number to call.

Thanks.

Unfortunately still doesn't work for me. It's automated so can't speak to anyone either. Guess I'll just have to wait for them to come in the mail.

Appreciate your help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.