TonyT785533

Student Visa Girlfriend

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and I just have a few questions. I realise that the K1 visa forum probably isn't the right place for this post but I'm not really too sure where else to put it so please excuse me. I'm from Canada and I met my girlfriend online and she is currently in the US on a student visa from another country. She told me that her plan is to settle down in the US after she is all finished with school and I would obviously like to be able to move there as soon as possible and be able to live with her and so on. I am not currently working at the moment but I do have enough money saved up to be able to move and everything like that. I never went to college or anything so I don't have a degree or any kind of special skills that would help me be able to get a work visa....however, I do have a lot of family who live in the US including aunts, uncles and cousins but no immediate family though. I really have no idea what kind of visa I would need or that I would qualify for to be able to move to the US and be with her but I'm just wondering if there is any kind of fiancé or marriage visa or anything that would cover a situation like this? I just really pray that there is a way and that somehow I qualify for something. Any additional advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time everyone and have a great day.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~Inquiry about family visas~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

What would be your girlfriend's basis for staying in the US after finishing school? A student visa does not allow a person to immigrate to the US. A student visa allows a person to come here to study and return home.

If she gets a green card somehow, she has to go marry you abroad in order to bring you here. A green card holder can not bring a fiance to the US; only US citizens can bring a fiancee to the US. The process will take 2-3 years after you get marry and she files for you.

Best of luck

Timeline

If she gets a green card somehow, she has to go marry you abroad in order to bring you here. A green card holder can not bring a fiance to the US; only US citizens can bring a fiancee to the US. The process will take 2-3 years after you get marry and she files for you.

So if she gets a green card she has to marry me abroad but it will take 2-3 years is that what you're saying? What about a K2 visa if we were to get married?

Thanks for your time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Who is the K1.

Assuming she is on a F1 then Spouses get F2..

If she then gets a GC you would get one as well as a spouse.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I'm sorry you're right. I meant to say the F1 (student visa). Sorry this is all a little confusing for me. She is already there on a F1 visa so you are saying if we were to get married now I would still qualify for the F2 and then if she gets a green card I would too? What about what the other guy said about the 2/3 year thing?

Timeline

There is the easy way and the hard way, if you get married after she gets a GC you wait, before you do not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

So if she gets a green card she has to marry me abroad but it will take 2-3 years is that what you're saying? What about a K2 visa if we were to get married?

Thanks for your time.

You can not get a K visa of any sort. K visas requires a US citizen petitioner.

Spousal visa for a green card holder is the only route. There is no way around this.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Well thank you so much for telling me the easy way :) So can I still get the F2 Visa even though we will be getting married after she is already there on the F1?

You can get an F-2 after she gets her F-1. However, its not an immigration visa.

An F-2 is a nonimmigrant visa and you will need to leave when she is done with her studies. Also, you can not work. You will need to provide proof that you have enough money in the bank to live in the US without working for the duration of her studies.

Not so easy peesy and does not solve the desire to permanently live in the US after the F-1 expires.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Well thank you so much for telling me the easy way :) So can I still get the F2 Visa even though we will be getting married after she is already there on the F1?

Exactly, I think Canadians can get one at the Border. Canadians have advantages others do not. Needs to show that she obviously has a F1 and that you are her spouse.

As things go easy peasy.

Timeline

Exactly, I think Canadians can get one at the Border. Canadians have advantages others do not. Needs to show that she obviously has a F1 and that you are her spouse.

As things go easy peasy.

Well we aren't married yet but if we get married I can then apply for the F2 visa? Sorry for the repetitiveness lol I just want to be sure :) Thank you so much again

Timeline

Correct

Timeline

As things go easy peasy.

Well we aren't married yet but if we get married I can then apply for the F2 visa? Sorry for the repetitiveness lol I just want to be sure :) Thank you so much again

Yes, you can app!y for the F-2 after marrying abroad. Please be aware of the financial requirements since you can not work and must leave the US when her F-1 expires.

Can you please answer how she will qualify for a green card?

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Yes, you can app!y for the F-2 after marrying abroad. Please be aware of the financial requirements since you can not work and must leave the US when her F-1 expires.

Can you please answer how she will qualify for a green card?

Yes I understand what you are saying about everything. I believe she is planning on either getting one through employment or I believe she can apply for one through family.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.