LibCampFireClub

Duke rebuke: Professor defiant after school condemns racially charged remarks

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

The world knows the truth on this topic, but there remain a couple of white-guilters who find it politically fun to make saying it out loud taboo. Note to progs: The free ride is over.

Duke rebuke: Professor defiant after school condemns racially charged remarks
A Duke University professor was defiant after the school last week condemned his "noxious" and "offensive" words in a letter published in The New York Times in which he compared African-Americans unfavorably to Asian-Americans.
The school's rebuke came after a student backlash against Political Science Professor Jerry Hough, 80, whose May 9 letter sought to address racism and the Baltimore riots. Hough said African-Americans don't try to integrate into society, while Asians “worked doubly hard” to overcome racism instead of blaming it.
“Every Asian student has a very simple old American first name that symbolizes their desire for integration,” he wrote on May 10. “Virtually every black has a strange new name that symbolizes their lack of desire for integration.”
Duke students and faculty blasted Hough last week, and the school told The News & Observer of Raleigh that he was placed on leave and that 2016 will be his last year at the school.
“The comments were noxious, offensive, and have no place in civil discourse,” said Duke spokesman Michael Schoenfeld. “Duke University has a deeply held commitment to inclusiveness grounded in respect for all, and we encourage our community to speak out when they feel that those ideals are challenged or undermined, as they were in this case.”
But Hough, in an e-mail to an ABC affiliate, said political correctness is getting in the way of thoughtful and frank debate.
“I am strongly against the obsession with ‘sensitivity,'" Hough wrote. "The more we have emphasized sensitivity in recent years, the worse race relations have become. I think that is not an accident. I know that the 60 years since the Montgomery bus boycott is a long time, and things must be changed. The Japanese and other Asians did not obsess with the concentration camps and the fact they were linked with blacks as ‘colored.’"
Hough even played the "Coach K" card, referencing beloved and legendary Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski in his email.
"Coach K did not obsess with all the Polish jokes about Polish stupidity," Hough wrote. "He pushed ahead and achieved. And by his achievement and visibility, he has played a huge role in destroying stereotypes about Poles. Many blacks have done that too, but no one says they have done as well on the average as the Asians.”
Citing privacy, the university would not comment on the professor’s future at the school, the station reported. University officials say Hough has been on a standard academic leave for the 2014-15 school year.

The world knows the truth on this topic, but there remain a couple of white-guilters who find it politically fun to make saying it out loud taboo. Note to progs: The free ride is over.

notice how quick he was censored. yet the lib s are defending the black professor. What a double standard

what an idiot. i agree with his thoughts on sensitivity. not so much comparing the struggle of black people in america with japanese/asians/polish. lololol

don't think he should be fired though guys. hate to disappoint.

You need to be sent back to the shop for reprogramming, your white guilt module seems to have short circuited.

yes indeed. help me white teddy..the comment regarding the first names of asians and strange black names as symbolism for gauging enthusiasm for integration caused a major malfunction in my hard wiring.

yes indeed. help me white teddy..the comment regarding the first names of asians and strange black names as symbolism for gauging enthusiasm for integration caused a major malfunction in my hard wiring.

I'll try to help, but all this talk about guaging enthusiasm and hard wiring has given me quite a jolt in the ole circuit board.

tumblr_m35qt1utGo1qzfqayo1_500.gif#lost%

I'll try to help, but all this talk about guaging enthusiasm and hard wiring has given me quite a jolt in the ole circuit board.

tumblr_m35qt1utGo1qzfqayo1_500.gif#lost%

55169217.jpg

what an idiot. i agree with his thoughts on sensitivity. not so much comparing the struggle of black people in america with japanese/asians/polish. lololol

don't think he should be fired though guys. hate to disappoint.

What an Idiot. I agree with him . What does ha make you dear

Sorry to hear you think he should not be fired. I was hoping for some trolling opportunities this morning, I am sure when Marvin wakes up from his tropical slumber, he will be along to explain why his is different than the black professor .

Sorry to hear you think he should not be fired. I was hoping for some trolling opportunities this morning, I am sure when Marvin wakes up from his tropical slumber, he will be along to explain why his is different than the black professor .

where did i say i agree with him?

you can't see how these comments are different? smh.

Just got out of the hammock. He wrote a stupid paper, not enough to get him fired.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Just got out of the hammock. He wrote a stupid paper, not enough to get him fired.

Where's your white guilt Marvin?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

fed ex is late on their delivery. :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

fed ex is late on their delivery. :hehe:

Takes a bit longer to get to Hawaii.

I'm with val on this one. I support his right to say this ridiculous nonsense. Better to open your mouth and be proven a fool than let people just guess that you might be. I also think there is waaaaaayyyy too much special snowflake sensitivity going on at the moment, particularly at universities. But what he says is reductionist bullpucky that speaks to his own ignorance, particularly the equation of Polish jokes with institutionalized racism against blacks and the Japanese internment camps.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Still waiting on my free shyt from Obama. Once I get that, I'll start unpacking my white guilt...

Takes a bit longer to get to Hawaii.

I'm with val on this one. I support his right to say this ridiculous nonsense. Better to open your mouth and be proven a fool than let people just guess that you might be. I also think there is waaaaaayyyy too much special snowflake sensitivity going on at the moment, particularly at universities. But what he says is reductionist bullpucky that speaks to his own ignorance, particularly the equation of Polish jokes with institutionalized racism against blacks and the Japanese internment camps.

He's a clown. I'm just amazed at how people that are supposed to be educated is such matters continue to say stupid shyt.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg