KokiLulu

What is needed to show ties to ones own country?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

What could my fiance use to show he has sufficient ties to Egypt to qualify for a tourist visa? He has a government job and that's about it. In egypt, men don't really buy homes until they are married so he does not own any property. Also, not bank account but he could probably open one. He does own a vehicle but I doubt that is enough. What else can be used? And since he would be traveling to the US to see me, wouldn't that hinder his chanses of being approved for a tourist visa?

Timeline

Is it easier to get a student visa? Or are the requirements to show ties the same? He has a bachellors degree in egypt and speaks English pretty well but his grammar and spelling are not perfect. I could get him enrolled in some continuing education classes at the community college. But would he still need the same strong ties to egypt that he'd need as a tourist?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is it easier to get a student visa? Or are the requirements to show ties the same? He has a bachellors degree in egypt and speaks English pretty well but his grammar and spelling are not perfect. I could get him enrolled in some continuing education classes at the community college. But would he still need the same strong ties to egypt that he'd need as a tourist?

Why would he quit a good job to do some continuing education at a community college in the US?

Are there not evening classes he could do locally.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

He would still have to overcome 214b for a student visa (the section of immigration law that says the visa officer has to assume he intends to stay in the US until he can convince the officer he has sufficient strong reasons that compel his departure from the US and a return home. Plus, he has to show he has sufficient finanacial resources to pay for the full course of study he is proposing. If you're worried he won't qualify for a visitor visa, it is probably even more unlikely that he would qualify for a student visa.

Timeline

Well normally people have letters from their job, mortgage, rental contract, car etc

He could get a letter from his job. His car is paid for so he doesn't have a car payment. He does not have a mortgage or rental contract because the norm in Egypt is to live at home with your parents until you marry. They see it as very abnormal for a single man to move out on his own and it is very difficult to find a landlord willing to rent to a single person in egypt since sex outside of marriage is illegal. Landlords don't want to get in trouble with the police if the single person should decide to have unlawful sex on their property.

Egypt is high fraud it's probably not gonna happen, you have a better chance at winning the lottery . Sorry but just trying to prepare you .

I think you are right unfortunately ?

Timeline

Why would he quit a good job to do some continuing education at a community college in the US?

Are there not evening classes he could do locally.

I'm sure he could find some local English classes but the main point of him coming here as a student would be to be closer to each other. And if he invests in furthering his education, it doesn't make since to spend time and money doing it in egypt if he will be moving here within 6 months. Also his "good" job only makes the equivalent of about $120 so it's really not a great help to us right now.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's probably best to just wait for your K1 visa. Applying for a tourist visa will likely be a huge waste of money, but if you don't mind, it doesn't hurt to try.

In 2012, my husband (then fiance) applied for a tourist visa. He owned his own apartment (but was living with his parents--he rented out his place), had thousands of LE (amounting to thousands of USD) in a long-standing savings account, had a job and a car, and was still denied. According to him, the interview lasted about 1 minute; the CO asked if he was married or had kids and refused to see any of his documents. We weren't in the process of applying for a K1 visa, either. The outcome could be different for you, but it's a lot of money to waste if he's denied.

CR1 Visa

10/03/2014 Priority Date (NOA1)
03/18/2015 NOA2
03/30/2015 NVC Received
04/09/2015 Paid AOS fee + DS261

---NVC system error---
05/18/2015 Scan Date
05/27/2015 DS261 reviewed over phone (after several attempts)
06/11/2015 IV fee invoiced (not available online)
06/16/2015 Checklist

06/27/2015 Checklist Scan Date
07/05/2015 IV fee available online (paid)
07/08/2015 DS260 available (completed)

07/20/2015 CASE COMPLETE!
08/21/2015 Received Case Complete letter dated 8/17/2015
12/01/2015 Interview Scheduled (134 days from CC)
12/14/2015 Received Interview Appointment email (P4)
12/22/2015 Medical Exam

12/30/2015 CEAC changed to 'ready' (no 'in transit' message)
01/14/2016 Interview (178 days from CC) RESULT: APPROVED!
01/18/2016 CEAC changed to "Issued"
01/21/2016 Visa In Hand!!

(F)

475 days from NOA1 to visa in hand (1 year, 3 months, and 18 days)

Timeline

Thank you all for your input. I was already pretty sure we couldn't get him a tourist or student visa but I wanted to double check. In another forum I saw people suggesting the fiance get a tourist visa to visit the us citizen so I thought maybe there is hope for my fiance to get a visa. We have been together 20 months now and probably have at least 6 more months before he gets the k-1 visa assuming he's approved. I have been to see him twice but can only go 5 days at a time because I have children and work obligations. I just started a new job and probably can't take off for a while. This waiting is excruciating and i am afraid immigration will say we haven't spent enough physical time together. Also, now I am muslim and it is not permitted for us to spend time alone together without being married. I hope 2 times and 10 days is enough. I will probably go there for the interview.

Timeline

I'm sure he could find some local English classes but the main point of him coming here as a student would be to be closer to each other. And if he invests in furthering his education, it doesn't make since to spend time and money doing it in egypt if he will be moving here within 6 months. Also his "good" job only makes the equivalent of about $120 so it's really not a great help to us right now.

If he wants a Student Visa the main point is to study. That does not seem to be the case here.

You mentioned the job as showing his tie. The reason he would go home.

$120 a day, or what?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thank you all for your input. I was already pretty sure we couldn't get him a tourist or student visa but I wanted to double check. In another forum I saw people suggesting the fiance get a tourist visa to visit the us citizen so I thought maybe there is hope for my fiance to get a visa. We have been together 20 months now and probably have at least 6 more months before he gets the k-1 visa assuming he's approved. I have been to see him twice but can only go 5 days at a time because I have children and work obligations. I just started a new job and probably can't take off for a while. This waiting is excruciating and i am afraid immigration will say we haven't spent enough physical time together. Also, now I am muslim and it is not permitted for us to spend time alone together without being married. I hope 2 times and 10 days is enough. I will probably go there for the interview.

I see that you have a number of issues.

There was a very long post a few days back about an Egyptian lady who is going for a B2, hopefully she will come back and up date. A few people questioned the going to see b/f issue without a chaperon, not a problem it seemed?

If it is and he has limited resources where would he stay etc if he got a B or a F?

I came here on a student visa to be with my bf 7 years ago , back then same sex marriage wasn't legal and that's what I had to do ( and I did finish school and received my degrees)

Long story short , I applied to a public university and got accepted. You send the school your bank accounts with balances cover the cost of at least the first year of attendance. The school will tell you how much it would be. They will not issue you an I20 form if you don't have enough money to cover your first year of attendance. Once the school issued you an i20 , you have to register online through the servis system. Take you i20 and servis registration receipt to the nearest embassy / consulate and apply for a visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

My fiance is from Italy, we tried once using and ESTA, and 2 times trying to get a tourist visa. All three times he was denied, because of lack of ties to Italy. I feel your pain. In Italy, it is also the norm to live with parents, not make "sufficient" money.... On one hand I understand what the US is trying to do, but on the other I think a more sympathetic look at the culture the person comes from would be nice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.