vivekpimputkar

Work VISA for wife when I'm on F1 Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello All,

I'm Vivek from Pune, Maharashtra India. I got an admit from UMich Dearborn for this Fall 2015. The situation at hand is that I'll be getting married this Dec during the christmas holidays. My wife is pursuing her Masters in Physiotherapy in Pune and will be completing her course by July 2016. She'll mostly join me after that only in the USA.

My basic concern is can we somehow manage a work VISA for her while I'll be on a F1 Visa? If yes, what will be the procedures for that and will it affect my chances of getting a work visa after completing my graduation?

If not work VISA then what other options will be more preferable then getting her a F2 (dependent VISA) ??

Please help me out in this regards.

Kind Regards

Vivek C Pimputkar

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It is extremely difficult to get a work visa. Not a lot of companies wants to go through the hassle of sponsoring someone for a work visa and it is really heard to be hired. She will have to prove to them that she is way better than the American's who are applying for the same job. She can try but the F2 is probably the best visa for her.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It is extremely difficult to get a work visa. Not a lot of companies wants to go through the hassle of sponsoring someone for a work visa and it is really heard to be hired. She will have to prove to them that she is way better than the American's who are applying for the same job. She can try but the F2 is probably the best visa for her.

Thanks for your valuable advice. That'll really help. Any other VISA which she can apply other than F2?

You are on F1, then answer is no.

Finish school, find employer to sponsor for your H1B, then she can apply for H-4 which allows work.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thanks for your valuable advice. That'll really help. Any other VISA which she can apply other than F2?

If she wants to work, then she needs a work visa sponsored by a U.S. employer.

There is no other visa that would allow her to work.

Sorry.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

As an F1 student you can work on campus, part time, as a student hourly. The downside to that is that there are NOT too many slots since colleges mostly hire students through financial aid which you do not qualify for. So your best shot is POSSIBLY finding a student hourly slot at your school (ask at the school library and bookstore). As far as your wife is concerned is suggest that she files for an F2. As everyone else has stated, someone has to sponsor her and that would be quite tough.

I worked at the bookstore of my college as an F1 student so I'm talking from experience.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Timeline

You are on F1, then answer is no.

Finish school, find employer to sponsor for your H1B, then she can apply for H-4 which allows work.

Only SOME H4 are authorized work and then only in specific fields.

Sorry -- didn't see how old this thread was; just saw it for the firat time today, don't know why...this is a case of "too bad we can't delete an oops post"!

Edited by jan22

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.