Janelle2002

Confederate Flag Prom Photo With Gun-Toting High Schoolers Backfires

421 posts in this topic

It's not exactly your fault you don't know the real history, being from a country that oppressed my forefathers and all. But it's available, and free for the reading even for your "master race"...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

This is an ironic statement indeed...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Ok, master race may have been a reach. But the oppression was real, as was history behind the design of the flag that came to be known as the Confederate Flag. And it had nothing to do with slavery. But I wouldn't expect a foreigner to know all that, even if he or she spent a few month on our shores.

Ok, master race may have been a reach. But the oppression was real, as was history behind the design of the flag that came to be known as the Confederate Flag. And it had nothing to do with slavery. But I wouldn't expect a foreigner to know all that, even if he or she spent a few month on our shores.

It's not a reach, just pointing out the irony that your ancestors came and and did the same thing over here. Maybe they didn't, but neither you or I know for sure.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

So you are saying that it is something that has been done time and again throughout history? And that pretty much every society has done it at one time or another? And that we should be aware of it, but not dwell on it every single day? I am down with that concept!!!

Are you African or American? Because if you claim to be African, you might be upset to find out that the Congo and Nigeria are in the top 10 of countries that have the most slaves. And the link doesn't hate on either of your two favorite oppressions: http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/11/20/countries-with-the-most-slaves/

In 2013, the US was ranked 134 out of 162 countries in numbers relating to slavery. So if you claim to be American, be proud that we are doing so well!! And that may be why you are as successful as you are today, and not locked up in chains and treated as sub-human.

And you are right, neither of us know for sure. But one thing I DO know for sure is that I don't go around whining about what people may or may not have done generations ago, and how someone is owed something because of it. I work hard to provide for my family and try to raise my children right; I don't stand on anyone else's laurels, nor do I blame my current station in life on my family, my race, nor on how unfairly I was treated growing up. I am where I am because of me, period. I could have done better. I could have done worse. But I sleep well at night knowing I treat others decently and with respect until they prove to me they don't deserve it. I also don't complain about where I am in life because of how my grandparents were treated, nor how their grandparents were. Heck, I don't even know. I just know I have worked hard (sometimes) to get where I am today.

ETA: Link for 2013 statistics - http://www.ungift.org/doc/knowledgehub/resource-centre/2013/GlobalSlaveryIndex_2013_Download_WEB1.pdf

It's not a reach, just pointing out the irony that your ancestors came and and did the same thing over here. Maybe they didn't, but neither you or I know for sure.

Edited by DavenRoxy

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's not exactly your fault you don't know the real history, being from a country that oppressed my forefathers and all. But it's available, and free for the reading even for your "master race"...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

Master race eh? How enlightening, more than a reach I'd say. Flat out bizarre.

The confederate flag is controversial amongst Americans (i.e your own people). Many people do find it offensive for the reasons I stated. That's simply a fact, your condescending attitude has zero bearing on that whatsoever.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Master race eh? How enlightening, more than a reach I'd say. Flat out bizarre.

The confederate flag is controversial amongst Americans (i.e your own people). Many people do find it offensive for the reasons I stated. That's simply a fact, your condescending attitude has zero bearing on that whatsoever.

So you are a Carpetbagger?

You are trying to give History Lessons to Americans about our culture?

Are you still butthurt over the American Revolution?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So you are a Carpetbagger?

You are trying to give History Lessons to Americans about our culture?

Are you still butthurt over the American Revolution?

Strangely, not being alive in the 1700s I have no feelings whatsoever about the revolution. It happened, that's about all there is to say. You might be surprised to learn that people in the UK don't wear tights and powdered wigs anymore.

The Confederate flag is a controversial symbol among Americans. That is a fact based on observation. If you disagree with it, you are perfectly free to explain why - that would demonstrate maturity. Of course, you could carry on as you are - which demonstrates the opposite.

You choose.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Strangely, not being alive in the 1700s I have no feelings whatsoever about the revolution. It happened, that's about all there is to say. You might be surprised to learn that people in the UK don't wear tights and powdered wigs anymore.

The Confederate flag is a controversial symbol among Americans. That is a fact based on observation. If you disagree with it, you are perfectly free to explain why - that would demonstrate maturity. Of course, you could carry on as you are - which demonstrates the opposite.

You choose.

I spent 2 months in England when I was a teenager. At the time the English People in my opinion were very jealous of Americans, That was many years ago, Maybe that has changed. But many of the males tended to have a chip on their shoulder toward me.

But back to Flag, Yes a few idiots and uneducated people tend to have a issue, but there are always an Idiot in village.

I personally fly a Texas and US Flag at my house, but I have zero issue flying the confederate flag. I do have some wifebeater shirts I wear with the Confederate Flag.... I have never had anyone say anything negative to me......

You choose.

well now i have no reason to visit :(

I spent 2 months in England when I was a teenager. At the time the English People in my opinion were very jealous of Americans, That was many years ago, Maybe that has changed. But many of the males tended to have a chip on their shoulder toward me.

But back to Flag, Yes a few idiots and uneducated people tend to have a issue, but there are always an Idiot in village.

I personally fly a Texas and US Flag at my house, but I have zero issue flying the confederate flag. I do have some wifebeater shirts I wear with the Confederate Flag.... I have never had anyone say anything negative to me......

What were the English people doing or saying that made you think they were jealous of Americans?

What were the English people doing or saying that made you think they were jealous of Americans?

can we just focus on how awesome it is that vol spent two weeks in england and had the opportunity to asses the jealousy levels of an entire population towards muricans? give the dude a golf clap..something.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

"But many of the males tended to have a chip on their shoulder toward me."

I'm sure :rolleyes: Probably 100% because they just don't like Americans.