amilazer

how much money needed to meet the public charge provisions

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everybody

I have found that during (Diversity Visa/ green card) visa interview i have to provide some DOCUMENT to prove that I will be able to support myself in the USA

how much money (the minimum) do I need to have to prove that I will be able to support myself when I get to the USA at the visa interview

thanks in advance

Timeline

approximately 15,000$ +, more is better, also work experience is plus

15 000 $ i have never heard of that. All i need is the minimum to live on until i find a job in usa this will take less than a month. What 15 000 $ is for. work experience is no obligatory.

Filed: Other Country: Portugal
Timeline

When I had my interview in London, they actually had a spreadsheet (not visible to the public, I just was able to peak) with several types of "minimum money" that you should have to live for 6-12 months in the US. I think I saw that it was about 12k per person, or 19k per couple. They had a lot of types tho, with kids, no kids, couples, single, etc. So yeah, you need to prove that you won't be a charge for the US and that is by showing your bank account savings and other possessions that you might have. They do care about that so be prepared.

Edited by PedroR

CN: 2015EU23XXX

*fingers crossed*

Timeline

When I had my interview in London, they actually had a spreadsheet (not visible to the public, I just was able to peak) with several types of "minimum money" that you should have to live for 6-12 months in the US. I think I saw that it was about 12k per person, or 19k per couple. They had a lot of types tho, with kids, no kids, couples, single, etc. So yeah, you need to prove that you won't be a charge for the US and that is by showing your bank account savings and other possessions that you might have. They do care about that so be prepared.

i don't need to take 12k with me to the USA. i will get a job in less than a month. also, i am only a single person. i will travel alone and live alone. in addition, 12k is a hell of money you can live on it for 2 years.

Filed: Other Country: Portugal
Timeline

i don't need to take 12k with me to the USA. i will get a job in less than a month. also, i am only a single person. i will travel alone and live alone. in addition, 12k is a hell of money you can live on it for 2 years.

You don't need to take the money? I don't know how do you think this works but I don't think you make the rules regarding this matter. If you want to risk it and not showing any money it's your decision, we are just informing you of what they ask on every interview.

Good luck.

CN: 2015EU23XXX

*fingers crossed*

Timeline

You don't need to take the money? I don't know how do you think this works but I don't think you make the rules regarding this matter. If you want to risk it and not showing any money it's your decision, we are just informing you of what they ask on every interview.

Good luck.

what I'm trying to say is that i will have a job in less than a month when i get to the US. what I'm asking is: what is the amount of money that I need to show at the visa interveiw.

what I'm trying to say is that i will have a job in less than a month when i get to the US. what I'm asking is: what is the amount of money that I need to show at the visa interveiw.

The answers you have received above are correct. The embassies use the poverty guidelines as a guide, Google that and see the amounts.

If you are so well qualified that you can assure the CO you will indeed get a job within a month he may not require that.

Bear in mind that while it is true that work experience is not obligatory, you are required to show that you will not become a public charge. This can be any combination of savings, qualifications, work experience, affidavit of support etc that satisfies the interviewing officer. Arriving with a couple of thousand dollars or whatever and claiming that is all you need for living expenses because you will find a job quickly, well unless you have a job offer in hand that will be a pretty hard sell.

I'm also interested btw to know where in the U.S. you think you can pay rent, food, transport etc for two years with $12k, considering you are basically claiming that you can live on half of the poverty guideline by saying this...

Filed: Other Timeline

in US cosulate in Casablanca, Morocco

Some embassies use the "host system" and some need to see funds or support docs.

The onus is on you to prove you will not become a public charge. Bank statements with 15000USD for a single person is good. If you have equity in a property that is also good.

If you have friends in the US, get them to fill in an affidavit of support, form I-134.

Edited by Biggie

Timeline

Some embassies use the "host system" and some need to see funds or support docs.

The onus is on you to prove you will not become a public charge. Bank statements with 15000USD for a single person is good. If you have equity in a property that is also good.

If you have friends in the US, get them to fill in an affidavit of support, form I-134.

thanks for the help

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

. in addition, 12k is a hell of money you can live on it for 2 years.

Bottom line is that no, you can't live on it for 2 years anywhere in USA without public support/extra income.

It would be these were your supplemental savings to a then found job, like you're claiming you will get in less than a month, but of course there is no way to definitely prove that you will, so it's tough.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Unless someone is promising you a job and free rent, you will not be able to live on $12,000. Think of the U.S. as being about 10 times the cost of Morocco, and if you are going to New York City, 50 times.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Timeline

Unless someone is promising you a job and free rent, you will not be able to live on $12,000. Think of the U.S. as being about 10 times the cost of Morocco, and if you are going to New York City, 50 times.

Do you mean that I will have to take with me and show them +12 000$ at Port of Entry at the airport or what.

Edited by amilazer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.