GI&JIM

Divorced with no tax return

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello there,

I never thought I would be here posting questions related to a divorce. I used this website in the past to guide through my K-1 journey and now I'm here. What a shame. Anyways, I arrived in the Us in February and got married to my US husband in April 2014. So I was his dependent during the entire year. Now we are getting divorced and I moved out before he filed for taxes and I have no idea if he filed and how he filed. ( married, jointly or separated. ) should I be concerned that I don't have a copy of this tax return? I'm going to file for a waiver based on divorce when I get my divorce decree but I'm afraid that my case can me hurt for lacking this evidence.

Filed: Timeline

Okay. So first welcome to the US taxpayer system. :)

Youll find the immigration paperwork and instructions were pleasant and simple when compared to tax forms and instructions ha ha.

So- lesson one-

Just like in immigration proper words and terms make a HUGE difference to the IRS. The workers arent known for being friendly or helpful; and using a wrong term like 'dependent' at the wrong time can lead you down the wrong path and get you misinformation.

Generally speaking adults are never dependents. Dependents are usually children. I know logically you say to yourself- well I dont work, I have no income so I am dependent on my spouse, but this is the IRS and regular logic does not apply. PLUS remember you are adult. You are in an EQUAL partnership with your spouse am I right? Not a child/parent I am the boss of you- you are dependent on me/I give you an allowance type relationship (I hope!). So EQUAL PARTNERS.

With that in mind/// Your spouse had the option of filing (if he was the only one with income) a tax return as married filing separately or married filing jointly. Because you were legally married he needed to file as married and not single. Single is only for people who are legally single- you all are not divorced so hes not eligible to file that way yet.

Now technically in the good old days of pen and paper to file married filing jointly since both spouse need to sign the joint application- you as the wife would know about it since you would have the pen in your hand at some point when you physically scribble your name at the bottom. But due to technology most people file online and all it takes is a click of the box acknowledging that both spouses agree to submit the return under penalty of law blah blah blah.

So is it fraud that he submitted a joint return and clicked your name saying its okay? Eh. Technically. Would you be complaining about it if you were not divorcing? Are you complaining about it? Not really. I mean it can snowball if you find out the tax return shows you both owe crazy amounts of money or he did something illegal on it and now you are in trouble too- but there are forms you can fill out to fix that- whole other topic though!!

-------

SO what you need to do---

You need to find out if there was a tax return filed JOINTLY with your name because most likely there was. Married filed jointly gives a much better tax advantage then married filed separately. So most likely it was filed jointly. A joint tax return belongs to YOU BOTH.

There are several ways to obtain a copy of what was filed, but because you have no information about the return your best option is to go to a local walk in IRS center with- your photo ID and SS card and ASK. Very simple. You just ask. You tell them you need a copy of any tax transcripts that are on file for your SS number. If your husband filed a joint one it will be there, If he didnt they wont have anything. They will be able to print it out while you wait.

You can find the closest walk in IRS office along with hours of operation by searching google.

IF there are no returns filed when you file your immigration paperwork and tax returns are needed- for that year you would include a letter stating none were filed by YOU as you had no income so you were not required to file.

(this will most likely not be the case though as I suspect he filed married jointly- however if its anything different please post back as it will complicate your divorce waiver 751 and the forum can assist you in preparing your packet)

Filed: Timeline

Contrary to what was stated above, there are plenty of instances where adults can be dependents on a tax return ... a child between the ages of 19 and 24 if they are a full-time student as well as a whole host of adult relatives that meet the 'qualifying relative' criteria. The important thing for the OP is that a spouse is never a dependent but rather an exemption for which a deudction to gross income is taken for the spouse.

Yes, as noted above, if a return was filed with OPs SSN, then OP has the right to request a copy of that tax return. If such a joint return was filed, then it would be highly advisable to have it looked over by the OP and an tax preparer to ensure that there is no liability for taxes owed or fraud which could potentially impact the OP.

If no joint return was filed, it would be highly advisable for the OP to file a Married Filing Separate return. Even though OP has no income which requires her to file a tax return, she is still entitled to file a return should she wish to do so. This approach would preclude her ex-husband from filing a joint return in the future with her SSN. It is a way for the OP to protect herself from any tax/income shenanigans her ex-husband may be involved in.

I do not know the implications of a MFS return on a 751 divorce waiver, but I don't see how it would make any difference as long as the marriage was entered into in good faith which is the primary criterion for the waiver.

Edited by novedsac

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your divorce - it sucks...

In regards to your tax situation it is not as complicated as it seems. Spouses are not considered dependents for tax purposes. The easiest way would be to ask your husband whether he filed jointly or separately. If he shouldn't cooperate, go to the IRS office and obtain a transcript of the tax return, if one was filed. If your husband hasn't filed taxes then you must file yours as MFS and be current with the IRS.

Good luck!

Hello there,

I never thought I would be here posting questions related to a divorce. I used this website in the past to guide through my K-1 journey and now I'm here. What a shame. Anyways, I arrived in the Us in February and got married to my US husband in April 2014. So I was his dependent during the entire year. Now we are getting divorced and I moved out before he filed for taxes and I have no idea if he filed and how he filed. ( married, jointly or separated. ) should I be concerned that I don't have a copy of this tax return? I'm going to file for a waiver based on divorce when I get my divorce decree but I'm afraid that my case can me hurt for lacking this evidence.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Since you were legally married in 2014, if your hubby filed tax,

he probably filed as "married filing jointly" because it typically gives best tax break.

You are definitely entitled to a copy of the tax records,

if he filed jointly, so you should start by asking him whether he filed the tax

and if you were included, ask for a copy.

Alternatively, you can try to look up tax transcript online or

visit IRS office to get a copy.

But if he hasn't filed, or filed late, then IRS may not have the tax transcript for 2014...yet.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Hello there,

Your status is as a spouse, not a dependent. As said above, you need to contact your husband concerning if he filed a tax return or an extension. Of course obtaining a copy is necessary and possibly he had a tax preparer do it for him. You should be willing to pay for a copy from the tax preparer. There are other issues that are not discussed for you to understand. If he filed a joint tax return, did he obtain your signature on forms? If he filed jointly without your signature that is fraud and highly illegal. If you signed some forms before the filing deadline then you are entitled to copies of the returns. Next, are you in a community property state? If yes, then you are liable for any income taxes filed on a joint return but you are also entitled to report 1/2 of the income separately. No matter what the case is, you need to find competent help such as a CPA. You probably already have an attorney, but I doubt he is familar with tax law.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you gays so much for all the info you provided me!

Yes, my concern is if he filed jointly without my permission. I didn't sign for anything before moving out. But unfortunately, one of the many reasons my marriage ended is that he is not a very honest and responsible person, especially when it comes about money... I'm afraid he owns taxes. So I'm praying he filled separated and I can get this figured out!

I'm going to an IRS office as soon as possible to see if I can get a copy of whatever has my name on.

Again, thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.