deej1973

Medical

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone. I just wanted to give some information for any of you with an upcoming medical and wondering what it entails.

I know that my wife and I had a lot of misinformation, even from this site. She was concerned and nervous going into the medical, and

in hindsight, she did not need to be.

We had seen on here that she was going to have to get shots, have her "external genitalia" examined, among other things.

Basically, they took her blood pressure and asked her some health questions. She then had to have chest x-rays done and

get some bloodwork. That's it. As long as you are healthy, they do not have to do more than that. The biggest things

they are screening for are TB and syphilis.

She had her medical done in the Toronto area.

Good luck everyone on your process. Her interview is next Friday. We are almost done!

We had seen on here that she was going to have to get shots, have her "external genitalia" examined, among other things.

Some people *do* get shots (I had one - tetanus) and *do* have their bits examined, although "examined" for me was a half-a-second-peek down my knickers and some of the other older British ladies on here also had their breasts examined for lumps. The depth and rigor of the medical varies a lot by country and individual.

I'm glad your wife had a very straight-forward medical! Good luck with the rest of the process!

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

congratulations! and it is a relief to hear good reviews.

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

Marriage: 2012-04-23

I-130 Sent : 2014-07-10

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-07-24

I-130 RFE : 2015-02-03

I-130 RFE Sent : 2015/02/09

NOA2 Email Received: 2015/03/02

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 2015/03/06

Case Sent from USCIS: 2015/03/11
NVC Received: 2015/03/17
Case # Assigned: 2015/03/24
DS-261 Completed: 2015/03/28
Paid AOS Fee: 2015/03/30
Sent in AOS and IV Package: 2015/04/01
Case Accepted for Expedite: 2015/05/05
Case Forwarded to Consulate: 2015/05/07
Completed DS-260: 2015/05/15
Interview Scheduled: 2015/05/20
Interview: 2015/07/15
event.png

event.png
event.png

Timeline

did she have to show any of her vaccination records? my medical is in a couple of weeks and of course i can't find any vaccination records. Wondering if I have to get the shots re-done by my own doctor before my medical exam.

i'm from the toronto area too!

Timeline

lost at sea...I was specifically speaking to those in the Toronto area. I probably should have been more clear in that. I thought I was posting on the Canadian forum.

I can't speak to medicals in other countries.

My wife did have to have her vaccination record. There are only 4 shots that are required and you can find the list on the consulate site for Montreal.

However, if you have not had the chicken pox vaccine, but you had chicken pox and can provide the timeframe for when you had it, that it okay.

Timeline

lost at sea...I was specifically speaking to those in the Toronto area. I probably should have been more clear in that. I thought I was posting on the Canadian forum.

My wife did have to have her vaccination record. There are only 4 shots that are required and you can find the list on the consulate site for Montreal.

However, if you have not had the chicken pox vaccine, but you had chicken pox and can provide the timeframe for when you had it, that it okay.

thank you! looks like i'll need to schedule an appointment for the a couple vaccinations ;)

thanks and congrats!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Canada regional forum on the basis of the above statement.**

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Post contributing nothing to the discussion removed.**

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

You know there are 3 doctors in the Toronto (ish) area?

Which one did she go to?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

lost at sea...I was specifically speaking to those in the Toronto area.

I realised that - what I was trying to imply is that individual experiences, even with the same doctor, can vary.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Hi everyone, this is the wife :)

The Dr I saw in Toronto was Dr Lyndon Mascarenhas.

Per his website, visadoctor.ca, I made the appointment via email and ended up being scheduled for 9:15 am on a Tuesday. I corresponded with his office prior to my appointment regarding the required vaccines (as my wife said- we had questions regarding the chicken pox vaccine as it was not noted on my records BUT I did have chicken pox as a child, so they told me that the vaccine would not be required). They prefer email correspondence if you are coming to see the Dr for immigration purposes, and they answered all of my questions thoroughly and very quickly. Very smooth correspondence!

I left extra early to give myself time to park but ran into traffic on the way to the appointment. I emailed the office to see if they could still accommodate me as I thought I might be 20 to 30 min late and they said that was no problem.

I parked in the pay parking lot on Kenwood Ave and it was a very short walk to the office building.

When I got in the building, I took the elevator to the Dr office and spoke with the receptionist. I gave her my passport, vaccination records, and photos, and she gave me some paperwork to fill out (at first it looked like a lot but half of the sections are not required, plus they give you a sample to reference). They were officiant and were getting people in and out pretty quickly. I think I only waited for about 10 minutes after handing back the paperwork.

When they called my name, I was shown to one of the office/exam rooms and told that the Dr would be in shortly. Again, I think I waited maybe 10 min before he came in. We went over my vaccination records, and he asked me for my age, height, weight, and whether I had any past or current medical issues (he also asked me if I had some specific conditions but my answers were no's and now I can't remember what they were, sorry!). He took my blood pressure next and we talked about where in the states I will be moving to. He told me that the US screens for TB and syphilis, hence the xray/bloodwork required. He then gave me the paperwork and instructions for the xray and bloodwork and I gave him the $350 payment ($300 + $50 for courier service). He explained how I would receive the medical package and what to do with it, then he shook my hand and sent me on my way. He was very easygoing and friendly.

So, the xray- I took the elevator to the basement and handed the paperwork in to 1 of the 2 gentlemen at the desk. My wait time was again maybe 10 min. The technician was very friendly and showed me where I could change (top and bra off, hospital gown on). We did the xray and I was out of there pretty quickly.

The bloodwork clinic is in another building across the street (I actually had walked by it earlier). I was the only one there, so no wait time. My interaction with the staff there was pretty limited but everyone was pleasant, which was nice because I am a bit of a wuss about needles and it helps when the person coming at me is nice HaHa

That's it. Easy breezy!

Timeline

Oh! I wanted to add also that I think there are probably a lot of different experiences with the medical depending on your age, documents, health issues, the Dr you end up seeing, etc. All my wife and I can post about is our own personal experience with some safe assumption that yours might be similar with the same doctor.

I'm so glad this community is here and find that reading about other people's experience at the different stages of immigration has been very helpful, and I hope this post is helpful for someone too!

Edited by deej1973

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi everyone, this is the wife :)

The Dr I saw in Toronto was Dr Lyndon Mascarenhas.

Per his website, visadoctor.ca, I made the appointment via email and ended up being scheduled for 9:15 am on a Tuesday. I corresponded with his office prior to my appointment regarding the required vaccines (as my wife said- we had questions regarding the chicken pox vaccine as it was not noted on my records BUT I did have chicken pox as a child, so they told me that the vaccine would not be required). They prefer email correspondence if you are coming to see the Dr for immigration purposes, and they answered all of my questions thoroughly and very quickly. Very smooth correspondence!

I left extra early to give myself time to park but ran into traffic on the way to the appointment. I emailed the office to see if they could still accommodate me as I thought I might be 20 to 30 min late and they said that was no problem.

I parked in the pay parking lot on Kenwood Ave and it was a very short walk to the office building.

When I got in the building, I took the elevator to the Dr office and spoke with the receptionist. I gave her my passport, vaccination records, and photos, and she gave me some paperwork to fill out (at first it looked like a lot but half of the sections are not required, plus they give you a sample to reference). They were officiant and were getting people in and out pretty quickly. I think I only waited for about 10 minutes after handing back the paperwork.

When they called my name, I was shown to one of the office/exam rooms and told that the Dr would be in shortly. Again, I think I waited maybe 10 min before he came in. We went over my vaccination records, and he asked me for my age, height, weight, and whether I had any past or current medical issues (he also asked me if I had some specific conditions but my answers were no's and now I can't remember what they were, sorry!). He took my blood pressure next and we talked about where in the states I will be moving to. He told me that the US screens for TB and syphilis, hence the xray/bloodwork required. He then gave me the paperwork and instructions for the xray and bloodwork and I gave him the $350 payment ($300 + $50 for courier service). He explained how I would receive the medical package and what to do with it, then he shook my hand and sent me on my way. He was very easygoing and friendly.

So, the xray- I took the elevator to the basement and handed the paperwork in to 1 of the 2 gentlemen at the desk. My wait time was again maybe 10 min. The technician was very friendly and showed me where I could change (top and bra off, hospital gown on). We did the xray and I was out of there pretty quickly.

The bloodwork clinic is in another building across the street (I actually had walked by it earlier). I was the only one there, so no wait time. My interaction with the staff there was pretty limited but everyone was pleasant, which was nice because I am a bit of a wuss about needles and it helps when the person coming at me is nice HaHa

That's it. Easy breezy!

Hey Deej, thanks for your little review. I have a appointment with the same doctor in few weeks. I have a question for you and I hope you can help.

I just took my Tetanus shot few months ago so I know my doctor will have records for that. All the other shots required I dont have. Even though I had chicken pox already as a child. Ok so my question are "Should I get the required shots before my panel exam?" ---I guess i should.

Secondly 'Can I walk into my family doctor and get the remaining vaccines done?" ... what did you do before the panel exam when it came to vaccinations?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey Deej, thanks for your little review. I have a appointment with the same doctor in few weeks. I have a question for you and I hope you can help.

I just took my Tetanus shot few months ago so I know my doctor will have records for that. All the other shots required I dont have. Even though I had chicken pox already as a child. Ok so my question are "Should I get the required shots before my panel exam?" ---I guess i should.

Secondly 'Can I walk into my family doctor and get the remaining vaccines done?" ... what did you do before the panel exam when it came to vaccinations?

You can get blood work with your primary physician to check for vaccinations. That way your doctor can provide certificate of presence of those vaccines. Dr. Lyndon don't give vaccinations.

I thought your appointment was with medisys though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.