davewolfs

Birth Certificate Damaged - Can I use my passport?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Where was your birth certificate issued from?

T

My Birth Certificate is old frail and falling apart, some corners are missing you can make out the dates and the names for the most part but it is clearly damaged. Is this a problem, can I simply use this along with my valid passport?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are the foreign fiance/spouse, you are going to need a long form birth certificate at the interview stage of the process. So, you should be starting the process of getting a new one now so that you don't delay your interview phase.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Timeline
If you are the foreign fiance/spouse, you are going to need a long form birth certificate at the interview stage of the process. So, you should be starting the process of getting a new one now so that you don't delay your interview phase.

That still does not anser the question. Can I submit the damaged birth certificate now as long as I have the long form birth certificate by the interview stage?

The ceritificate is from Canada and it is the certificate that is required for the I-485 (Immigrant) that is damaged.

Edited by someguyonl1

AS you do not have a time line and gave no other info with regard as to who's birth certificate was damaged you got the only answer possable....

If you feel that there may be a problem with your birth certificate then get a new one it only take a sort time to get and then you would not have any issues.... or send in your copy of the one you have and hope you dont get a RFE for a new copy...

Kez

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If they ask for a birth certificate...you should get them just that...and it should be readable. You may want to look into getting a replacement. Good luck (F)

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

Yes, you can submit it, but they may send you a request for the long form one and halt processing on your application until you provide it. I'd order a new (long form) birth certificate ASAP.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Correct me if I am wrong (certainly won't be the first time) but I believe it is a requirement that the beneficiary submit a copy of their birth certificate when filing for AOS. I would imagine that if you do not include it you will end up with an RFE but one can never be sure. It does seem kind of ambiguous because that BC was already submitted with the K petition so the USCIS should already have that - that sealed brown packet! I would file just to stay in status and if you get an RFE you will have the document by then and can submit. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Correct me if I am wrong (certainly won't be the first time) but I believe it is a requirement that the beneficiary submit a copy of their birth certificate when filing for AOS. I would imagine that if you do not include it you will end up with an RFE but one can never be sure. It does seem kind of ambiguous because that BC was already submitted with the K petition so the USCIS should already have that - that sealed brown packet! I would file just to stay in status and if you get an RFE you will have the document by then and can submit. Good luck :thumbs:

No K petitions here. Just a straight I-130 and I-485.

I just submitted a copy of my wifes translated birth certificate. We got an RFE for a copy of the Thai original. So they do want to see a BC.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

If all information is clear and legible, I don't think it should matter. But since you never know with them, I would get a new copy anyway, just in case.

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

If all information is clear and legible, I don't think it should matter. But since you never know with them, I would get a new copy anyway, just in case.

Talk about efficiency. I had the vital statistics office overnight me a new certificate in the long format. Im good to go!

Talk about efficiency. I had the vital statistics office overnight me a new certificate in the long format. Im good to go!

Good.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

you should get a new one. i don't think passpor :yes: t is enough. :yes:

Met online - December 2002

Met face-to-face - May 28, 2004

Engaged - June 4, 2004

I-129F mailed - June 16, 2004

Received by NSC - June 21

NOA1 date - June 28

NOA2 online - September 20

Petition received in Manila - September 30

Packet 3 Received - November 27

Medical Exam - January 5, 2005

Immunizations - January 12

Interview scheduled for January 21

Approved!!!! - January 21

Visa in hand!!!!! - January 25!

CFO Seminar- January 27

Pumpkin will return to the Philippines - February 3

Home in Denver with my Pumpkin- February 8

Received Social Security Number - February 24

Civil Marriage - February 24

Adjustment of Status App. received at CIS - April 18

Employment Authorization App. received at CIS - May 11

Passed written test - received Driving Instruction Permit - May 23

Biometrics - June 11

EAD Approved Online - July 6

Second fingerprint appointment - July 16

Catholic Church Wedding Ceremony November 26

RFE received by the CIS - January 6

AOS APPROVED! - January 21

2.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.