Jump to content

F2b Visa Interview for a Single Mother

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am a single mother (Never married/wedded) with sole custody of a 1 year old daughter, she has my family name on her international passport. The man that got me pregnant abandoned us and has never been there for us.

Please I would like to hear or get a suggestion from someone with a similar situation in the past on the below questions.

What kind of document would I need to satisfy sole custody at F2b visa interview in Lagos (Nigeria) to be able to travel with my daughter to the US if we were approved?

Is/are there documents that I need to provide to show that I'm a single mother who has not been married and how would the embassy react to it?

Would the embassy be asking questions about my daughter's father, even when he has not been part of us? And as I write this, I don't even know his whereabout neither does he know mine. We've lost contact ever since I became pregnant.

Your recommended advice/suggestions would be highly appreciated.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not know how it works in Nigeria, some countries do not need further documentation about taking a child out of the country, others do.

On the assumption that you are being sponsored by GC Parent then the Consulate will probably check that you are not married as that would invalidate your petition.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't care about the father as long as you can prove that you're single. That's the only thing required for F2B, that you maintain your single status. Your child can immigrate with you as well, even if she's using her dad's surname.

Good luck.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.