djbenitez

Police Certificate

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

In Colombia, they are doing all background checks (police certificates) online. They will not give you a physical piece of paper that is signed (and if I am wrong, please correct me and explain where to go to get a physical one). You just have to print out a screen that says that you have no criminal record. It looks really unofficial.

Has anyone else run into this? Was it accepted? Would it help if we got it "apostillado"?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We are going through this process in Brazil, not Colombia, but we ran into a similar issue. On our US consulate site, I found information stating that we could indeed use police certificates issued online. my thoughts to you would be to go to your US consulate site (the consulate in your country) and look for information in regard to police certificates in your country. You can find a link to your consulate in the drop down menu found on this site:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html

Edited by littledeep

• December 8th, 2014: USCIS received and accepted the I-130 petition

• January 7th, 2015: USCIS approved the I-130 petition

January 20th, 2015: NVC received our case

February 19th, 2015: Case number assigned

February 26th, 2015: DS-261 completed

February 26th, 2015: 2015: AOS fee paid

April 6th, 2015: Packet sent, case received

April 22nd, 2015: IV fee paid

April 24th, 2015: DS-260 submitted

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

In Colombia, they are doing all background checks (police certificates) online. They will not give you a physical piece of paper that is signed (and if I am wrong, please correct me and explain where to go to get a physical one). You just have to print out a screen that says that you have no criminal record. It looks really unofficial.

Has anyone else run into this? Was it accepted? Would it help if we got it "apostillado"?

Hi djbenitez.

The "registro de antecedentes judiciales" is a valid document according to the article 248 of our Constitution, it can be downloaded from this page any moment, and doesn't need to be apostillado, my suggestion is to print a couple of certificates the day before the interview, the service is always available: (Click control+P to print out the form)

http://antecedentes.policia.gov.co:7003/WebJudicial/

In case you have any other questions, here is a group (In spanish) with all the information about the process in Colombia, some members just got approved at the embassy in Bogota:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/473585-colombianos-con-visa-k-1-continuacion-7/page-71

Have a good night! :star:

Edited by Jim&Ann

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CO.html#policerecords-6

Police Records

All applicants over the age of 18 must provide a police certificate, called a "pasado judicial." Applicants may obtain police certificates online at www.policia.gov.co. Police certificates have a validity of one year.

Any applicant who has a police record that states "Actualmente no es requirido por autoridad judicial alguna" (in English, "currently not wanted by any judicial authority") must bring their complete court records, along with an English translation, to the embassy on the day of their interview. Applicants who fail to bring these court records and the English translation will be required to return to the embassy for a second interview.

Additionally, individuals who have lived in the United States without legal permission and/or applicants who unsuccessfully applied for asylum, should obtain their report of entry and exits ("certificado de movimientos migratorios") from Colombia. Applicants can obtain this report from Migración Colombia at www.migracioncolombia.gov.co.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Whoa I wish Venezuela had that kind of service...

I have to go to the "Ministerio de Interior y Justicia" and request those papers... and of course, its not as easy as it sounds...

06/10/2003 - Met in Nueva Esparta, Venezuela
04/20/2013 - Married in Caracas, Venezuela

USCIS STAGE
04/08/2015 - I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox trough USPS
04/09/2015 - USPS Tracking: "Delivered"
04/13/2015 - Received NOA1 via e-mail and text msg (CSC)
05/22/2015 - Received NOA2 via email and text msg (only 40 days!)

NVC STAGE
06/18/2015 - NVC Received our case (we had to call to figure this one out)
08/03/2015 - Called NVC and retrieved both Case Number and IIN
08/03/2015 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee ONLINE (IV Fee still not available for payment)
09/09/2015 - Filed DS-261 (Choice of agent) ONLINE
09/15/2015 - Paid IV FEE and filled DS-260 ONLINE
10/20/2015 - Sent both AOS and IV packages trough USPS
10/28/2015 - Got email: Packages received by NVC (Scan date)
12/04/2015 - Called NVC: our case went for "Supervisor Review" (+45 days???)
12/24/2015 - Case Complete...!!! Thank you Lord!!!
12/24/2015 - Interview date scheduled: feb 23rd 2016!!!

23/02/2016 - Interview: Visa Approved

12/03/2016 - Point of Entry: Miami, FL - Perfect!

25/03/2016 - SSN received at mailbox

12/04/2016 - Green Card received at mailbox!!!! Whoohooo!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife and plan to bring both to the interview. She got the apostillado by requesting it online at

http://www.cancilleria.gov.co/sites/default/files/tramites_servicios/apostilla_legalizacion/archivos/guia_al_ciudadano_certificado_de_antecedentes_judiciales_0.pdf

She had her cousin in Houston go to the Consulate to pay a small fee (like $10) to get it released, seems you could not pay it online. Then it showed up in her email box after payment, official signed etc. The police cert is online and seems screen print is all that is available. Better safe than sorry so we're bring both.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.