Janelle2002

Police, Officials Resign After Small Missouri Town Elects First Black Female Mayor

41 posts in this topic

Police, Officials Resign After Small Missouri Town Elects First Black Female Mayor

The Huffington Post | By Kelly Chen

Most of the police force and several officials resigned after the small town of Parma, Missouri elected its first African American woman as mayor, reported KFVS.

Tyrus Byrd, a former city clerk, was officially sworn in as mayor on Tuesday after beating incumbent Randall Ramsey. Ramsey had served as mayor of Parma for 37 years under two terms.

The outgoing mayor said five of the city's six police officers submitted their resignation, citing "safety concerns." Parma's city attorney, clerk and water treatment supervisor also quit.

Some Parma residents say they aren't worried about safety now that the police force has shrunk. "I think it's pretty dirty they all quit without giving her a chance," resident Martha Miller told KFVS. "But I don't think they hurt the town any by quitting, because who needs six police for 740 people."

At her swearing in ceremony, Byrd said that she is looking to getting things in order for the city.

watch video http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/19/parma-police-resign-black-female-mayor_n_7097110.html

Add good bye. Now she can find better cops who want to do their job.

Edited by Janelle2002

Their loss I say. She doesn't need them.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Their loss I say. She doesn't need them.

So totally agree. They should want to serve and protect regardless of who the mayor or a city is. They should be concerned about the citizens of the city.

Well, a black mayor, next thing you know we'll have a black President. Gotta nip these things in the bud.

Hilarious :lol::lol: And we will want women Presidents next. Shish! We have to stop this now.

The Huffington Post | By Kelly Chen

Most of the police force and several officials resigned after the small town of Parma, Missouri elected its first African American woman as mayor, reported KFVS.

Tyrus Byrd, a former city clerk, was officially sworn in as mayor on Tuesday after beating incumbent Randall Ramsey. Ramsey had served as mayor of Parma for 37 years under two terms.

The outgoing mayor said five of the city's six police officers submitted their resignation, citing "safety concerns." Parma's city attorney, clerk and water treatment supervisor also quit.

Some Parma residents say they aren't worried about safety now that the police force has shrunk. "I think it's pretty dirty they all quit without giving her a chance," resident Martha Miller told KFVS. "But I don't think they hurt the town any by quitting, because who needs six police for 740 people."

At her swearing in ceremony, Byrd said that she is looking to getting things in order for the city.

watch video http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/19/parma-police-resign-black-female-mayor_n_7097110.html

Add good bye. Now she can find better cops who want to do their job.

Excuse me Janelle, but I find this article a little light on substance, but heavy on innuendo. I'm not saying that the officer's motive wasn't race, but I would like to know more about what their "safety concerns" were.

I mean was she planning on disarming the officers? Reducing their budget? Maybe even cancelling an order on protective gear? I just would like to know more before raising the race card.

Excuse me Janelle, but I find this article a little light on substance, but heavy on innuendo. I'm not saying that the officer's motive wasn't race, but I would like to know more about what their "safety concerns" were.

I mean was she planning on disarming the officers? Reducing their budget? Maybe even cancelling an order on protective gear? I just would like to know more before raising the race card.

You are asking me these questions as if I wrote this article. I have no idea what their concerns are or were. We can thank the non-reporting reporters of the 21st century for this. However, we do know media outlets, most of the percentage of time, have an ulterior motive behind reporting.

But if indeed this is true, then the mayor does not need them. She needs real officers.

Janelle isn't making this about race. The article is.

Your questions are all valid, but in all honesty, if the people who quit did so under those pretenses, they should have published them. Safety concerns is a broad term and without anything else to go on, it could just be a douche move for other reasons, but a douche move nonetheless.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

You are asking me these questions as if I wrote this article. I have no idea what their concerns are or were. We can thank the non-reporting reporters of the 21st century for this. However, we do know media outlets, most of the percentage of time, have an ulterior motive behind reporting.

But if indeed this is true, then the mayor does not need them. She needs real officers.

I agree that the media today is all about getting the readers and not about presenting the facts. It seems these days that all the media outlets are taking lessons from "The National Inquirer" or "The Sun"

Janelle isn't making this about race. The article is.

Your questions are all valid, but in all honesty, if the people who quit did so under those pretenses, they should have published them. Safety concerns is a broad term and without anything else to go on, it could just be a douche move for other reasons, but a douche move nonetheless.

I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that Janelle was making this about race. I was just trying to comment on the flavor of the article.

And if their true reasons were because of the color of her skin, then I agree that they are truly better off without them.

I agree that the media today is all about getting the readers and not about presenting the facts. It seems these days that all the media outlets are taking lessons from "The National Inquirer" or "The Sun"

I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that Janelle was making this about race. I was just trying to comment on the flavor of the article.

And if their true reasons were because of the color of her skin, then I agree that they are truly better off without them.

Yes. Articles referring to pictures that they never include, or eluding to videos that are not posted, reporting is becoming a joke.

It's cool. Wasn't trying to attack you. The article doesn't give a lot of reasons and race isn't the thing we want to jump on first, but it's usually the suspect when you whittle out everything else. And most of the time, folks lack the courage to flat out say it's about race.

I so wish we could be past all of this. But we still have a long way to go.

Thanks for offering an apology. You weren't wrong, but your gesture goes a long way in terms of character. My hat off to you, if I were wearing one :devil:

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

When a town of 740 has a police force of 6 officers, it is quite likely that something dodgy is afoot in Parma. The article may imply that racism is behind the 5 officers' resignations, but there are other theories around, when you look at the comments.

The outgoing mayor served in the post for 37 years over 2 spells. It was on his watch that the police department grew to its pre-election size. So, when the election went the way of the black, female, Republican, many are presuming that the race, sex and political affiliation of the incoming mayor have nothing to do with the resignations. Rather, good, old-fashioned corruption is behind it all.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Wait there, buddy. Janelle is a sister, no?

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting the rules...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

When a town of 740 has a police force of 6 officers, it is quite likely that something dodgy is afoot in Parma. The article may imply that racism is behind the 5 officers' resignations, but there are other theories around, when you look at the comments.

The outgoing mayor served in the post for 37 years over 2 spells. It was on his watch that the police department grew to its pre-election size. So, when the election went the way of the black, female, Republican, many are presuming that the race, sex and political affiliation of the incoming mayor have nothing to do with the resignations. Rather, good, old-fashioned corruption is behind it all.

It's missouri and it's a newly elected black female mayor.

When my smoke alarm goes off, I don't check for snow, then water leaks, then stray golf balls, then fire. Of course tt could be any reason, but occrams razor says in the absence of a known reason, we should go with the most likely one. While it's possible these police officers are alien reptilians who realize their cover is about to be blown, I think it's fine to go with convention as to what the more likely reason may be as long as no one is presenting opinion as fact.

QCjgyJZ.jpg