tdotca

RRSPs W9

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I am quite irked at my financial planner in Canada at the moment. And it is sad to say that I never paid attention to any of this.. as long as I was saving money somehow , I did not care what is what.

Anyone out there who left their RRSPs in Canada but had to transfer them out of their bank's financial planning 'division'?? FP knew that I would be moving but did not pursue me to get this done before I left, so I am now sort of floundering around.

Here is my story:

Because I will be a non-resident , I need to move my RRSPs out of TD's Financial Planning . Since I want it to be left with TD, I can move it to TD waterhouse.

I was told by TD waterhouse that I need to open new acct; then do a transfer from existing to new acct. I need to also do a W9.

re: W9 .. there is not much on this form to fill in however I would like to get clarification about part 1 . Taxpayer Id number ( TIN). I presume I would enter my SSN even though it has "valid for work only with DHS authorization"? Ps: if/when I do get my EAP approval, do I have to go back to the SSN office to get that 'valid for work..." off my SSN Card?

Thanks Valerie

I-129F Sent : 2014-09-15
I-129F NOA1 : 2014-09-24
I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-20
NVC Left : 2014-11-05
Packet 3 Received : 2014-11-13
Packet 4 Received : 2014-12-05
Medical : 2014-12-19
Interview Date : 2015-01-23 Montreal
Interview Result : Approved 2015-01-23
Loomis picked up passport from Montreal: 2015-01-27
Passport/visa in hand:2015-01-30

POE'd at Toronto Pearson Airport: 2015-04-01

SSN received: 2015-04-08 or so

Married : 2015-04-23

AOS/EAD/AP submitted as one : 2015-05-19

Biometrics AOS: 2015-06-15

EAD approved : 2015 July but did not receive until 2015-09-30

AOS interview: 2015-09-25

AOS approved: 2015-09-25

GC received: 2015-10-02

ROC I751 package mailed 7/19
uscis received package 7/21 as per USPS
check cashed 7/25/2017
noa i797 dated 7/21/2107/ WAC17293xxx
noa i797 received 7/27/2017

Biometrics not needed; used what was on file

Infopass i551 stamp ( 12months) done 8/17/2018

No RFE.

No Interview.

ROC approved Oct 25,2018.  i797 notice received Oct 29,2018 

PR card received Oct 30 2018 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Why do you have to transfer your RRSP? Can't you just leave it alone?

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

You dont have to transfer your rrsp, but you do have to declare them on your US taxes.

A W9 just needs your SSN. I had to give a W9 to both of my banks after obtaining my SSN because I had joined or opened the accounts while still in Canada using a w8ben.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I was able to leave my RRSPs back in Canada....They did have to send me some forms (no clue what they were) and of course one has to notify the IRS on form 8891 Maybe ask here http://forums.serbinski.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=c25e48bbda5936bd0243f4d730a93d16

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Time for us all to read the Serbinski tax forums - Form 8891 is now obsolete and has been replaced by Form 8938 - this thread is quite extensive and I ended up reading the form instructions as well as the form itself.

Are you taking withdrawals or disbursements from your RRSP (in which case you're reporting it as income on your US taxes)

If you're like me (long way from retirement) and have a Locked-In fund which is sitting back in Canada where the interest or gains/losses roll back into itself and NOT taking disbursements.

You may or may not need to declare it based on the $$$ value and whether you're single, married, filing jointly or separately. There are bottom thresholds which govern when you have to start reporting it...read their instructions. My little Canadian fund isn't very big so I may not have to report it for many years unless I start taking disbursements or choose to withdraw the funds entirely.

http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.php?t=9042&sid=b575b0a215b3afcc42c9bee849b1bc37

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Why do I have to move it? I had the same question but I am told that as a non resident , I am no longer able to invest/ contribute any further( which I understand and am ok with) . To me, this simply means that the FP has no business and in that case , my stuff needs to be out of that 'division'. I personally don't see why it can't stay where it is. Was not only personally told by the FP but via a TD document that she sent me.

I am not touching my RRSP until I desperately need the money and/or until I am at the official retirement age. RRSPs are being left in Canada.

I understand that I have to declare to US taxes ( and that would be next year, I presume).

@NLR.. thanks for confirming it is the SSN I need to enter. but can you tell me if /when I get my EAP, if I need to do anything in order to get rid of that "valid for work....." saying on the SSN card or it is left as such? Also what about if/when I get my green card, do I have to do anything as well?

I-129F Sent : 2014-09-15
I-129F NOA1 : 2014-09-24
I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-20
NVC Left : 2014-11-05
Packet 3 Received : 2014-11-13
Packet 4 Received : 2014-12-05
Medical : 2014-12-19
Interview Date : 2015-01-23 Montreal
Interview Result : Approved 2015-01-23
Loomis picked up passport from Montreal: 2015-01-27
Passport/visa in hand:2015-01-30

POE'd at Toronto Pearson Airport: 2015-04-01

SSN received: 2015-04-08 or so

Married : 2015-04-23

AOS/EAD/AP submitted as one : 2015-05-19

Biometrics AOS: 2015-06-15

EAD approved : 2015 July but did not receive until 2015-09-30

AOS interview: 2015-09-25

AOS approved: 2015-09-25

GC received: 2015-10-02

ROC I751 package mailed 7/19
uscis received package 7/21 as per USPS
check cashed 7/25/2017
noa i797 dated 7/21/2107/ WAC17293xxx
noa i797 received 7/27/2017

Biometrics not needed; used what was on file

Infopass i551 stamp ( 12months) done 8/17/2018

No RFE.

No Interview.

ROC approved Oct 25,2018.  i797 notice received Oct 29,2018 

PR card received Oct 30 2018 

Timeline

Why do I have to move it? I had the same question but I am told that as a non resident , I am no longer able to invest/ contribute any further( which I understand and am ok with) . To me, this simply means that the FP has no business and in that case , my stuff needs to be out of that 'division'. I personally don't see why it can't stay where it is. Was not only personally told by the FP but via a TD document that she sent me.

I am not touching my RRSP until I desperately need the money and/or until I am at the official retirement age. RRSPs are being left in Canada.

I understand that I have to declare to US taxes ( and that would be next year, I presume).

@NLR.. thanks for confirming it is the SSN I need to enter. but can you tell me if /when I get my EAP, if I need to do anything in order to get rid of that "valid for work....." saying on the SSN card or it is left as such? Also what about if/when I get my green card, do I have to do anything as well?

Could just be their policy. Sort of like how President choice wanted to close my banks accounts when I told them I was moving to the USA....It is their policy if ur not a resident of Canada, they close ur account. I can't recall who I had my RRSPs with (I cashed them out yrs ago) thought it was TD??

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

When you get your green card is when you can change the SSN card not to read "valid with work authorization only"

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Is it wise to leave RRSP's in Canada until ready to cash them out? Or is better to cash them in before leaving, to avoid taxes later as a permanent resident in US?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.