carlamsmaia

Relocating to the US with Husband and Son

4 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am a US citizen and I am currently living in São Paulo, Brazil. My family and I are planning on returning to the US in 2016.

I moved from the US to Portugal when I was 12 and have not lived there since. My husband and 6 year old son were both born outside of the US (Portugal).

I am in the process of filing a I-130 but I have a couple of questions:

- There is a section on the form that requires to put down an address in the US to which my spouse plans to move to, which obviously should coincide with mine, but currently none of us are living in the US. What should we put down? We will only be looking for a house when we move. We do have family living in the US with whom we will probably stay with when we first arrive.

- How do we pay for the filing fees? In the instructions, it says “the check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the US and must be payable in US currency”. Currently, I don’t have a US bank account, but my mother does. Can she send in the check or does the check need to be in my name?

- Timing: As I mentioned, my family’s plan is to move to the US during the first half of 2016. Ideally, we would like to move in January, but due to my job and my son’s schooling I might need to come back to São Paulo with him for a short while. Once his immigration process is approved and he has entered the US, how long would we have to wait for to travel? Would it be preferable to apply for his green card while still living here in Brazil or after we move back to the US?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

- There is a section on the form that requires to put down an address in the US to which my spouse plans to move to, which obviously should coincide with mine, but currently none of us are living in the US. What should we put down? We will only be looking for a house when we move. We do have family living in the US with whom we will probably stay with when we first arrive.

This could change for anyone at any point in their journey. So just put the address that you both intend to live at when you first arrive.

- How do we pay for the filing fees? In the instructions, it says “the check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the US and must be payable in US currency”. Currently, I don’t have a US bank account, but my mother does. Can she send in the check or does the check need to be in my name?

The easiest solution would be to get your mom to buy a money order for the amount and send it to you. That way, it would be written on a US bank and it won't have her name attached to it.

I would suggest you visit http://www.uscis.gov/forms/paying-immigration-fees and read the portion about if you live outside of the US when you file. Also look at http://www.uscis.gov/i-130, it will give you instructions on how to file the form if you are not living in the US currently.

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello!

I am a US citizen and I am currently living in São Paulo, Brazil. My family and I are planning on returning to the US in 2016.

I moved from the US to Portugal when I was 12 and have not lived there since. My husband and 6 year old son were both born outside of the US (Portugal).

- Timing: As I mentioned, my family’s plan is to move to the US during the first half of 2016. Ideally, we would like to move in January, but due to my job and my son’s schooling I might need to come back to São Paulo with him for a short while. Once his immigration process is approved and he has entered the US, how long would we have to wait for to travel? Would it be preferable to apply for his green card while still living here in Brazil or after we move back to the US?

1. Use a US relative address. But know by the time you get to NVC you will have to show a S domicile and show what you have done to show you are moving US (child enrolled in school, US bank account, job, etc.
  2. To pay you will just have to work it out with your US relatives send them money thy ca write the check and send in the package. Be sure you have your Portugal address filing from aboard will auto expedite you.
  3. Timing realistically a I-130 petition from filing to interview is a 8 to 12 month process.

Also you have filed your CRBA on your son right at embassy? and he has his US passport already?

What of co-sponsors do you have them selected already.

Here is a list of domicile things you will need to be doing and ready once your petition gets to NVC (that's after you are approved at USCIS).

Here is the NVC process just so you see everything ll upfront

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Domicile

Please note, if the petitioner lives with the beneficiary abroad, you'll need to provide proof of US domicile with the AOS package, as well as bring it with you to the interview. Please read the I-864 instructions (pages 3 and 4) for information about it. This is NOT needed if the petitioner is living in the US. Here is a sample cover letter to include in the package (it lists MANY possible documents, some may not be applicable, of course, to prove that you have, or will re-establish, domicile in the US):

NAME

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

Form I-864

Part 4, Question 5: Country of Domicile

I, XXXX, am currently residing in FOREIGN COUNTRY with my spouse, SPOUSE'S NAME. Below you will find a list of attached documents to show that my principal residence is in the US and the steps that I have taken to return to the US with my family.

Steps I have taken to maintain US Domicile:

• Maintained my XXXX voter registration

• Maintained my XXXX credit card registered in the US with a US PO box

• Maintained my bank account at the XXXX Credit Union

• Maintained my bank account at XXXX Bank

• Maintained my XXXX drivers license

• Maintained my US retirement fund through XXXX

• Maintained my US investment account with XXXX

• Maintained my US PO box

• Maintained licensure by the XXXX

• Maintained membership in the XXXX

• Maintained my automobile in care of my parents

Supporting Documents for the above steps I have taken:

• Voter registration card showing permanent US address

• XXXX credit card statement showing US billing address

• XXXX Credit Union statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX Bank statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX drivers license showing permanent US address

• Retirement fund statement showing permanent US address

• Mutual fund statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX license currently up to date

• Renewal of XXXX membership

• County tax bill showing I still own a vehicle

Steps I have taken to return to the US to take up residence:

• Made arrangements for us to have a house to live in

• Contacted schools for requirements of things to bring to register my children in school

• Contacted my auto insurance company to find out about re-instating my insurance on my car

• Contacted shipping company for estimate of costs to ship belongings

Supporting documents for the above steps I have taken:

• Lease agreement for our house

• Email from schools regarding registration requirements

• Email from my former auto insurance company regarding my inquiry

• Email from XXXX with estimate and correspondence regarding shipping our belongings

I declare that I intend in good faith to re-establish my domicile in the United States no later than the date of spouse's admission into the US.

I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the statements in this letter and all accompanying evidence are true and correct.

Signature: ____________________________________________________ Date: ______________________

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.