Unidentified

Confusing question on DS-160

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have selected the K-1 fiance visa and I have gotten to the point where I am supposed to fill in my previous visits to the US, and previous Visa's etc.

At the bottom they ask: Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services?

I assume they are not talking about my fiance doing this now. They mean if I have gone through this process before and someone else have made some kind of immigration petition prior to this right?

I always start to over analyze all the DS-160 questions :P

Thank you in advance!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Read and answer the questions literally, and try to not over-analyze them. :thumbs: It is easy to do, but it can also drive a person crazy. :wacko:

The example forms section of VJ is a good source of information: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/DS-160-Example-Form.pdf

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I can't see everything properly as I'm on my phone, but I ised the sample form Qs a guide and said no. They know you have a petition because of the section where they ask about the petitioner under the visa type you're applying for.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Read and answer the questions literally, and try to not over-analyze them. :thumbs: It is easy to do, but it can also drive a person crazy. :wacko:

The example forms section of VJ is a good source of information: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/DS-160-Example-Form.pdf

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Yes, that's what I usually do but then I start over analyze. Previously I have been able to go by guides as I've traveled as an Au Pair and student through a company now I am pretty much on my own with my over-analyzing brain :P

I can't see everything properly as I'm on my phone, but I ised the sample form Qs a guide and said no. They know you have a petition because of the section where they ask about the petitioner under the visa type you're applying for.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. Thank you so much for your help!

Timeline

My fiancee selected yes and explained that it was this I129 F filing. Hope they don't make a big deal.

They won't. It says I'm there is you see a mistake after you submit you just complete a new one and take it to the interview. As you've exolained yourself, they will likely just change it here if they see fit. We sweat these details because it's so important to us, but I don't think they are big issues in the big picture.

Lee & William

8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

Wow! Just re-read my first post and you tell I'm doing this on my phone!

Lee & William

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

damn , you guys made this simple thing so complex. The Answer for the question was " No" .

I realize this post is a year old, but rather then begin a new post, I'll append and hope someone can help me here:

We have submitted a second K-1 petition, since the first ended with the visas being refused due to an error on the I-129F form. Second petition was approved and given a case #. Now, we're filing the DS-160 again, so do we select 'yes' for this question (Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf...). I'm inclined to answer yes, however the question asks about an "immigrant" petition, while K-1s are considered "Non-Immigrant" petitions. Thus, I don't know how to answer. Note, I did answer yes to the previous question; "Have you even been refused a U.S. Visa..." and provided a brief explanation.

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.