hatemheather

Please help! Trying to obtain info on my ex husband

81 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not at all. It's an interesting puzzle.

OK, a Notary is easy - all they do is confirm that the person signing the form is you - look them up in the book - lots around. You drive to their house, take them the form, stuff that shows you are you like a driving licence, and approx $50, and they stamp your form. Job done.

..and on the lawyer front. Downtown LA is a finite area. There is a finite number of Lawyers there, and a smaller number of Immigration ones. Say there are 30 of them, that's 30 stamps, and 30 almost identical letters. "Dear Wibble & Ptnrs - I understand you acted for me (yourname) and (his name) in our imigration thingy, please send copies of our forms to our home address at (whatever)"

So 29 of them send you back a letter saying "sorry, unknown" and 1 sends your stuff....

Total cost, time, stamps, and paper.

Treat it as part of your dedication to your new love....working to get you together..

Edited by Lauren and Kevin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Where did you write the word unknown at like underneath the number boxes?? and what did you say in your attachment explaining why it's unknown? are you the US citizen ? Did this make your application take longer then? because if you received his alien# when they sent you the application copy to you, that means they mustve done the research for you meaning it took a little longer im guessing?

It works for me and i don't have any problem using "unknown" for K1 application. But i noticed that they (USCIS) provide those information when they send me a copy of my application before interview. Just tell the truth and you'll be ok

Timeline

what do u mean an I-864? i'm not on any hook with him. i am legally divorced. whatever happens to him is his own problem

You would have completed an I 864 for your ex, still on the hook.

You know what I think I will test this out first, before i write unknown thank you. It is really tricky... can't i just call the offices instead of sending out letters to each office?

Not at all. It's an interesting puzzle.

OK, a Notary is easy - all they do is confirm that the person signing the form is you - look them up in the book - lots around. You drive to their house, take them the form, stuff that shows you are you like a driving licence, and approx $50, and they stamp your form. Job done.

..and on the lawyer front. Downtown LA is a finite area. There is a finite number of Lawyers there, and a smaller number of Immigration ones. Say there are 30 of them, that's 30 stamps, and 30 almost identical letters. "Dear Wibble & Ptnrs - I understand you acted for me (yourname) and (his name) in our imigration thingy, please send copies of our forms to our home address at (whatever)"

So 29 of them send you back a letter saying "sorry, unknown" and 1 sends your stuff....

Total cost, time, stamps, and paper.

Treat it as part of your dedication to your new love....working to get you together..

Timeline

I-864 is binding until:

• Immigrant leaves USA and gives up residency, OR;
  • Immigrant Naturalizes and becomes a citizen, OR;
  • Immigrant works and is credited with 40 quarters of work per SSA, OR;
  • Immigrant dies, OR;
  • Sponsor dies

Boiler will correct me here, but I don't think Divorce affects this - it's still valid.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You said you sponsored him for a green card, so you completed the I 864. Divorce changes nothing.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

what do u mean an I-864? i'm not on any hook with him. i am legally divorced. whatever happens to him is his own problem

You know what I think I will test this out first, before i write unknown thank you. It is really tricky... can't i just call the offices instead of sending out letters to each office?

yes you can call - but it's more expensive, more time consuming, and I guess more emotionally draining than a semi-duplicate letter...

Edited by Lauren and Kevin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I-864 is binding until:

• Immigrant leaves USA and gives up residency, OR;
  • Immigrant Naturalizes and becomes a citizen, OR;
  • Immigrant works and is credited with 40 quarters of work per SSA, OR;
  • Immigrant dies, OR;
  • Sponsor dies

Boiler will correct me here, but I don't think Divorce affects this - it's still valid.

Yep, it is all on the I 864.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

no i didnt sponsor ANYONE... i said i signed some papers and went to a marriage interview nothing about sponsoring . i do not qualify to sponsor anyone. he had his brother in law be his sponsor. and someone else is sponsoring my fiance.. so no i don't have to worry about bein on the hook still. im done and no strings attached to this loser anymore. what does the I-184 have to do with me ? I am legally allowed to remarry... so i can disregard any of that. please do not complicate things more for me than they already are. i am allowed to remarry. i did it the right way through a legal divorce and not running off to immigration to be devious and cause problems. all i want to know is will not sending his alien # affect anything or not... i know how to obtain it now. i understand a notary. i understand it can take up to 2 months. i understand that writing them a letter to speed the process may be disregarded. and now from someone else on here has said they put unknown and the alien # was found and given by the time of the interview.

Timeline

in what way can a phone call be more expensive? i wouldnt be calling out of country? well though it is more exhausting with the calls, it seems it would be faster to call than to mail out letters and wait for responses. youknow?

yes you can call - but it's more expensive, more time consuming, and I guess more emotionally draining than a semi-duplicate letter...

Timeline

SLOW DOWN FOR WHAT? i have no been with my ex in over 2 years? and no in the state of california you can remarry the very next day. my questions have just seemed to went to judgement. thanks for those who have helped and given advice!

Sounds like you need to step back and slow down a minute. Don't you have to wait 6 months in California to marry? Doesn't that also mean you can't do th K1 until after six months?

:pop:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

SLOW DOWN FOR WHAT? i have no been with my ex in over 2 years? and no in the state of california you can remarry the very next day. my questions have just seemed to went to judgement. thanks for those who have helped and given advice!

Slow down so you don't miss anything and take it a step at a time. Sorry, I know you were in Califonia, but my brain was somewhere else. I think people are trying to help need more information to properly answer some things. I didn't see too much judging going on.

Timeline

@lauren and kevin and @unico and @cody and daisy THANK YOU A BUNCH GUYS! especially @unico who has personal experience from this! you're the only one i have yet to meet who has gone through this tedious little part! (L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.