coocoo

Seems like people are applying sooner than 3 years after they received their GC

7 posts in this topic

What am I missing? It seems like many people are applying for naturalization 3 months before their 3 year anniversary of receiving their green card. I've been looking through the guidelines and threads for hours and can't find a reason why that works. In other words, I got my GC on August 3 2012 and am married to a US Citizen. When may I file my application? August? May?

Thanks guys and I apologize if I am missing something obvious here.

Coocoo

Edited by coocoo

Apr. 4 - Filed AOS package
Apr. 6 - 4 NOAs
Apr. 18 - Biometrics appointment notice for May 14.
Apr. 24 - online status changed to Request for Initial Evidence (pesky tax transcripts)
Apr. 28 - RFE notice arrived in the mail
Apr. 30 - Responded to RFE
May 3 - Online status changed to "Request for Evidence Response Review"
May 9 - Successful early walk-in biometrics in Milwaukee
June 5 - Online status changed to "Testing and Interview" - Interview date: July 11. Online interview location: NBC
June 6 - EAD/AP card in production; NOA 2 in the mail. Interview location: local office
June 12 - EAD/AP picked up by USPS
June 14 - EAD/AP in the mail
June 15 - applied for a SSN
June 22 - got SSN
July 11 - Interview - approved on the spot!
August 8 - online status changes to approval. GC should arrive in "up to 60 days". Yah, we're out of plastic in Wisco.

June 3 - filed for ROC

June 25 - NOA1

Sometime mid July - the letter for biometrics came in, while I was abroad; I pushed the date back to August

Sometime in August - biometrics on the right day, didn't go for early

August 25 - RFE, deadline Nov 14

Nov 10 - sent out RFE response

Nov 19 - card ordered, no interview

Nov 30 - green card arrived

Filed: Timeline

Hmm

Maybe Im misunderstanding your question ?

First paragraph of the guide on here-http://www.visajourney.com/content/naturalization_requirements

• Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

ball.gif the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;
    ball.gif the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and
    ball.gif the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements.

If you are filing based on marriage, you can file 90 days before the three year anniversary of receiving your green card.

http://www.uscis.gov/early-filing-calculator

Yesss, this is exactly what I was asking. Thanks!

Second, kind of unrelated question: My husband and I have been talking ever since we got engaged years ago about who's taking whose name. I took his name, but we made a deal that when we have kids, we'll talk about changing to a hyphenated name. We still haven't had kids and he's not so stoked to take my name. I just noticed that n-400 is providing us a chance to change our name. I'm thinking of changing it back as I really like my maiden name and it shows off my heritage. I wonder if the USCIS is going to be sketched out if I all of a sudden went back to my maiden name now... Has anyone experienced something like this? Can anyone tell me some good reasons for not doing it? I guess they put the option out there for a reason... Is this kinda thing common?

Thanks again for any tips!

Apr. 6 - 4 NOAs
Apr. 24 - online status changed to Request for Initial Evidence (pesky tax transcripts)
June 5 - Online status changed to "Testing and Interview" - Interview date: July 11. Online interview location: NBC
June 6 - EAD/AP card in production; NOA 2 in the mail. Interview location: local office
June 22 - got SSN
August 8 - online status changes to approval. GC should arrive in "up to 60 days". Yah, we're out of plastic in Wisco.

June 3 - filed for ROC

June 25 - NOA1

Sometime mid July - the letter for biometrics came in, while I was abroad; I pushed the date back to August

Yesss, this is exactly what I was asking. Thanks!

Second, kind of unrelated question: My husband and I have been talking ever since we got engaged years ago about who's taking whose name. I took his name, but we made a deal that when we have kids, we'll talk about changing to a hyphenated name. We still haven't had kids and he's not so stoked to take my name. I just noticed that n-400 is providing us a chance to change our name. I'm thinking of changing it back as I really like my maiden name and it shows off my heritage. I wonder if the USCIS is going to be sketched out if I all of a sudden went back to my maiden name now... Has anyone experienced something like this? Can anyone tell me some good reasons for not doing it? I guess they put the option out there for a reason... Is this kinda thing common?

Thanks again for any tips!

See question 18. As long as your Oath Ceremony is done in court, you can change your name at that time. Otherwise you will have to have it changed in court.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/chapter3.pdf

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

See question 18. As long as your Oath Ceremony is done in court, you can change your name at that time. Otherwise you will have to have it changed in court.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/chapter3.pdf

I know I can, the question is whether the USCIS is going to take it as a red flag.

Apr. 6 - 4 NOAs
June 22 - got SSN

June 3 - filed for ROC

June 25 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.