7 posts in this topic

Hey :)

I would like to show you guys my list to see if I have everything for Step 1, filing for the petition.

- Form I-130

- Filing Fee of 420$

- USC petitioners US passport or birth certificate

- Copy of petitioners German residence permit (Military orders in my case)

- Copy of marriage certificate

- G-325 A form from the petitioner and beneficiary

- One passport photo of petitioner and beneficiary

- Copy of my passport and/or birth certificate ??? --> is that still needed?

- Evidence of bona fide marriage:

--> Joint income tax return

--> Joint bank account

--> (Wedding) photos

--> Joint rent of our apartment

--> Proof that he is my sponsor in form of my ID card and in case Tricare letter

Then I would have a couple questions..

1. Cover letter, yes or no? Some pages tell you to add it some don't mention it so I'm not sure what to do

2. Has anyone paid the fee with Credit Card? Preferably even here in Germany? Did you guys use the Credit Card Authorization Form?

3. My husband finishes his contract with the Army this July. We will only be living at our apartment here in Germany until around mid July. After which we will go back to the States to visit his parents for a couple weeks then return to Italy, where I'm from. Now I don't know how long they will take with the petition nor if they send any confimation letter ? but if they do so, should I add an extra page that states that they should send any letters after mid July to my address in Italy instead of the German address (where I won't be living anymore)?

Hope you guys can help me :)

Thanks everyone in advance!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to DCF Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

You're filing direct Frankfurt, yes? They also ask for addresses and telephone numbers for the petitioner and beneficiary. (Information is in their I-130 Petition Checklist that you're likely following to assemble your packet. It's linked here if you don't already have it, and there's a second PDF for the armed forces with which I am not familiar.)

Your (beneficiary's) passport or birth certificate is not required.

For the evidence of bona fide marriage, no one here can really say what is enough or too little. Generally I agree with other posters who suggest focusing on evidence of time spent together and commingling of lives, since that's theoretically what spouses do. You have evidence of joint accounts, joint residence (which Frankfurt specifies that it wants to see), and that the military knows you are married. My suggestion would be to add some photos that aren't from the wedding to help show that you are together as a couple on more than just that one day.

To your questions:

1. As far as I've read, a cover letter is optional. We will probably send one, but it is not listed in the checklist and others who have posted on here have not.

2. The Credit Card Payment Form is linked from Frankfurt's site here.

3. I don't know the answer to this one, sorry. Hopefully someone else can explain how address change works in this situation. My understanding is that you will still interview at Frankfurt.

2012: Married
2014 2016 2017: I-130 packet direct to Frankfurt

Frankfurt's "steps" to DCF:

Step 1: I-130 Petition Checklist (PDF, from their USCIS page)

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

Hello

I have just been approved for my CR-1 via DCF Frankfurt.

My husband included a cover letter (optional) with the petition and aside from all the regular stuff we included the following as supporting evidence:

Husband's military orders

Rental agreement (in German translated into English. I see you are military, we are too, and our rental agreement is in English and German anyway so we submitted both)

Tricare documents showing me as beneficiary

Joint car insurance

Joint bank statement

Life insurance showing me as beneficiary

DD93 form showing me as my husband's next of kin

Plane tickets and hotel reservation for honeymoon

Plane tickets for our summer holiday to the US

Wedding photos and copy of wedding invitation

There may be a little more, I don't have my stuff to hand right now!! As for the paper size, ours was mixed depending on the size of paper in the photocopier or printer at the time! I put everything in a big clip and photos in a ziploc bag. I wrote date, location and who was in each pic on the back. Anything that was more than two pages I stapled together (my G-325A as I had to use extra paper for job history). I also included a contact details sheet for both of us which I put after the cover letter.

As for payment, I am not sure when submitting the I-130 now as we had an Infopass appointment and took it by hand and paid on the day, I think they stopped that in the New Year though. As for the visa fee itself, we also paid on the day of the interview.

Be warned, you most likely won't get a NOA1, we just got an approval letter in the snail mail about a month after submitting our petition, so don't panic if you don't hear anything for a little while!! From then on it can go pretty quickly so it's a good idea to start getting your other paperwork together. My German police certificate took a while because although I am an EU citizen I am classed as being on SOFA status so not registered as a regular resident in Germany. It confused the lady at our local rathaus as I was not in the system!

Can't help re change of address question, sorry! Hope everything else has been of help.

I found the Consulate at Frankfurt to be really efficient and quick and the interview was a breeze.

Good luck!

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

For documents that accompany the I-130 submission, everything in another language should be translated into English. Anyone proficient in both languages can do the translation. That person will attach a statement to the translation certifying that he/she is proficient in both languages and that the translation is correct, see the template is on this USCIS page.

(For documents that accompany the visa application later on, the language can be either English or German. Otherwise, Frankfurt requires that you use a registered translator for an English version, see the Visa Application Checklist linked here.)

Edited by awaywego

2012: Married
2014 2016 2017: I-130 packet direct to Frankfurt

Frankfurt's "steps" to DCF:

Step 1: I-130 Petition Checklist (PDF, from their USCIS page)

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.