jv86

I-130 Name Question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

Trying to start my visa journey for my wife and didn't get too far before questions and concerns set in.

I'm sure this is a question that many have come across in their own way so I'm hoping this board will be a little more helpful than the vague replies I've received from the USCIS.

My wife is Jordanian and culturally they take the names of their father, grandfather etc. To give an example: Laila Ahmad Muhammad Qais (where Laila is her name, Ahmad is the father's name, Muhammad is the grandfather's and Qais is the family name). How should I put her name in the I-130 and other forms following the "First, Middle, Last" format as I don't want to leave a name out and have everything be thrown off or rejected because of a simple name mistake.

Many thanks for your assistance.

All the best.

8th June, 2015 - Filed I-130 with local USCIS office in country

17 June, 2015 - I-130 approved and sent to Embassy's consular section

1 July, 2015 - Instructions for completing IV application and case ID received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I believe you should just use the name as it appears in the passport

By the way, that's a beautiful tradition :)

Good luck

Married March 16th 2006

USCIS Stage

Novembe30th 2014 - Filed I-130 with California Service Center

December 5th 2014 - NOA1 received

January 5th 2015 – Status changed to approved

NVC Stage

January 21st - Case received

February 23th 2015 – Got Case number/invoice number & Completed choice of agent

February 24th 2015 - Paid AOS fee

March 18th 2015 – Paid IV fee and completed DS230

March 24th - Scan Date

April 17th – Check list for AOS (2014 tax information)

April 22nd – Sent new AOS

April 27th – New Scan Date

May 28th – Case Complete!!!

Thanks for the reply YV15 as well as the kind words,

The problem I have faced is that on her documents it will say "Given Names" and "Surname" so it isn't divided up the way they'd like it on the form. That's what confuses me, of the given names how can you decide which ones will count as first, middle, last. Referring back to my example (Laila Ahmad Muhammad Qais) I'm tempted to put Laila as first, AM as middle and Qais as last but I don't want that to be wrong and have it rejected for something so simple.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Dear My suggestion is Laila is her First name her father name will be in middle and her family QAIS will come as surname, So Given name is Laila Surname is QAIS.... Also in I130 petition there is column write other name if have any so you can write her full name as per passport or birth certificate.... on my origan country passport my name is only my name as given name and father's name is surname... but as per arabic tratidion here in UAE they write my name and includes my father's full name as well so i have mention in i130 my passport name as real and other name if have any... my UAE name...

i guess you should follow the same.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We had that problem too, so how we handled it was we left the middle name blank. Then we used all the other names as his last name. We wrote them in. If you use the father's name as the middle name, then the name that comes out on official documents often leaves out the middle name on paperwork. Now, when he got his driver's license and SSN and credit cards, his name is written correctly. He was much happier to have the great granfather's name drop off the list rather than have them avoid using his father's name as his second name.

So, in your case, we'd have written FIRST NAME Laila LAST NAME Ahmad Muhammad Qais

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Many thanks everyone for your inputs. It seems like there is no cut and dry way of doing it so I'll discuss the matter with my wife further to see how she would want her name to appear on US documents and take it from there.

Thanks again and best of luck to everyone.

Ask her how SHE would like the names to appear. Does she want a last name that is 3 names and to be referred to as Ms. Ahmad Muhammad Qais? Or Ms. Qais? Or something else? Whatever she wants her green card to be is how it should appear on her passport.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.