typo808

Time frame for mom to get tourist visa-Philippines to USA, permanent resident

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

One thing, when it comes time for her interview tell her that she in no way mention anything about helping your wife unless she's directly asked.

Of course, if she's asked about it then she should tell the truth but when it comes to tourist visas even helping your own daughter can be seen as 'work' which isn't allowed.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

She is applying for a Tourist Visa so she must act like a Tourist - no immigrant intent, strong ties to home, important reasons to return home soon.

Personally I don't think she should talk about the duration of her Visit with the Consulate - even with B1/B2 Visa, the officer at the point of entry determines how long the person may stay for. (up to 6 months on this Visa).

As the above poster has pointed out, working is not allowed on a Tourist Visa but visiting relatives is allowed.

Edited by UKUS123

Filed: Timeline

She is applying for a Tourist Visa so she must act like a Tourist - no immigrant intent, strong ties to home, important reasons to return home soon.

Personally I don't think she should talk about the duration of her Visit with the Consulate - even with B1/B2 Visa, the officer at the point of entry determines how long the person may stay for. (up to 6 months on this Visa).

As the above poster has pointed out, working is not allowed on a Tourist Visa but visiting relatives is allowed.

No way not to talk about the planned duration of her visit -- it's on the DS-160 form. I'm sure you're not suggesting that they put anything other than the truth on the form...it's never a good idea to do that!

To receive a Tourist Visa or K-1 the applicant must establish significant "ties" to the Philippines...and even that is subjective since I've known several people who were repeatedly denied.

What are "ties"? In short, a very convincing case that it is in the best interest of the applicant to return home to the PI vs staying in the States and experiencing a lower quality of life.

Examples of "ties":

1) Proof of a steady income that affords a "middle class" or above standard of living by USA standards...so probably at least Php80,000 per month take-home assuming no dependents.

2) Property in their name that is free and clear of liens or back taxes. Example: Comfortable condo or house and lot (newer).

3) Children under 16 that will remain behind in the PI....meaning that the child needs/expects the parent to return home soon.

4) Cash savings in the bank of at least $10,000 or Php equivalent....in an established account.

There are plenty more that can be added to this list, depending on the mood of the interviewer, but this is usually the bare minimum for women.

Of those who have been rejected who had a business, cash, property, etc it would be my guess that the reason is that they had no dependent children.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unless your net worth is $1,000,000 and you have a good/connected lawyer doing the legwork for your mom, it ain't gonna happen.

Think of the health of your child...stressing over things that are hopeless is one of the worst things that a woman can do while pregnant.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Minor children are less relevant for PI, they are often left behind.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Minor children are less relevant for PI, they are often left behind.

Children become relevant if the income of the applicant is high enough in the PI. Think of it this way...obviously a woman making Php1-2K per month has every reason to go abroad and send several multiples of that amount back to the children each month. On the other hand if a woman in the PI is earning "middle class" (US standards) income from a business or job where to go to the States without an H-1 would mean a significant pay cut (at best working as an illegal alien and otherwise rolling the dice of life) and therefore no ability to support her local children one can argue that this is the strongest proof of ties.

No way not to talk about the planned duration of her visit -- it's on the DS-160 form. I'm sure you're not suggesting that they put anything other than the truth on the form...it's never a good idea to do that!

No I am not suggesting they lie. But I assume no return ticket has been booked yet so it's actually ridiculous to plan a trip when you don't even have the visa in hand. Surely the consulate/embassy knows this.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

To receive a Tourist Visa or K-1 the applicant must establish significant "ties" to the Philippines

Why would someone need significant ties to get a K1? The purpose of a K1 is to leave a home country, not go back to it.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

No I am not suggesting they lie. But I assume no return ticket has been booked yet so it's actually ridiculous to plan a trip when you don't even have the visa in hand. Surely the consulate/embassy knows this.

Of course the consulate/embassy knows that -- they're the ones who always say do not prchase tickets until the visa is in hand. That does not mean, however, that you don't make PLANS for the proposed trip. The application form requires you to put your planned entry date and planned length of stay. Anything less than the truth concerning your plans may come back to bite you, especially if you would be uncomfortable talking about your plans as written on the form versus your real plans.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

No I'm not. You misunderstood the the point of my question. I'm just asking if that would somehow speed up the process. In any case, she can stay for what, 3months then apply for an extension

did she self-schedule last week? Yes? No? If no, why no?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Of course the consulate/embassy knows that -- they're the ones who always say do not prchase tickets until the visa is in hand. That does not mean, however, that you don't make PLANS for the proposed trip. The application form requires you to put your planned entry date and planned length of stay. Anything less than the truth concerning your plans may come back to bite you, especially if you would be uncomfortable talking about your plans as written on the form versus your real plans.

I didn't mean to argue with you. I understand what you are saying. Plans change all the time though, especially depending on the outcomes of getting a Visa.

OP is not beholden to a 3 month stay now that he/she stated it on VisaJourney. When I applied for my B1/B2 it was for a 2 week trip and I got a 10 year multiple entry Visa. Subsequent to that trip I have stayed for over 3 months at times.

You are allowed to change your mind once you get a tourist visa and subsequently change your plans. There is nothing illegal about that.

Hi to all, my mother have her interview on April 13, 7:15 am and we will try to provide all the documents that might help on her interview especially evidence that she will return to the Philippines. I am praying she will pass, so she can come here at Summer time. And I really don't want to go on the route that I will apply for her to come here as immigrant if she will only stay here for 2-3 months and she will lose her status because she can't stay in US because of the weather/health.

I will keep you posted and definitely share her experience in here. Pass or Deny :)..

• 2 weeks later...

It won't be for awhile. Mom is still waiting for her passport. It seems to take longer now (wife got her passport in a week, a couple years ago) Mom's passport won't be ready until May 5th. grrrr....

Sorry Dalyn. When it happens I'll definitely post her experience. If you go first, can you do the same?

BTW, we are gathering as much paperwork as possible. Property paperwork, signed letter from Mayor of Daram stating vacation allotment, bank account info (MIL will open a bank account while waiting for her passport), proof that kids are out of school once the current semester ends (not sure to go about that but will figure it out), maybe have her daughter who lives with them create a letter stating Mom is main provider, needs to return and also daughter will care for kids while mom is gone, her mid-wife certificate as proof of other work, husband's death certificate (hope that will help to show that she IS the main provider and needs a vacation having "solely" cared for her family since) whatever paperwork from kids' school that will help (investigating that now).

It is all a shot in the dark. Learned a little here so we are making up the rest as we go along. Keep you posted.

Aloha

Hey there, I would like to let you know that my mother passed her interview yesterday. She was interviewed for less than 5 minutes and she said she had a very good experience because they accommodated her request for her to have a interpreter, Plus take note they didn't look or asked for any documents. They asked her a few questions about me and ofcourse mostly about her. She was just very honest on all of their questions like:

1. Who will paying for her trip? which is me and my husband here.

2. Who is supporting her because she is not working? She said me, her daughter since after my college I had been supporting them and yes until now but she mentioned she also have a youngest son who is also helping her out.

3. How long is she staying in US? She said 2 months, by late summer to fall

4. If she is thinking to get a citizenship in here? She said a big NO, it is very COLD in New Hampshire...

That was it and the consul asked for her passport and gave my mother a thumbs up. She was so surprised and asked them if she is all set?? Because after all of our preparation, meaning all the documentation and paper work, they didn't asked any of it. I am not complaining but my mother was hahaha.. So thankful to God and we will see her on 1st week of Aug this year and then planning for her to go back to the Philippines by mid or end of October.

But be prepared for documentation maybe my mother just get so lucky that they didn't asked any documents from her but according to her there are so many out there in her batch that they were asking for them to show some supporting documents.

Hope your mother in law will pass her interview too, that will help your wife emotionally too.. Because seeing her Mom around while she is giving birth and someone will take care of her and her baby..that is a big deal...Goodluck!

Edited by Dalyn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats Dalyn!

My parents' interview schedule is in 2 weeks. Crossing my fingers they will get the same result as yours. How did your mom request for an interpreter? Did she ask before she even got to the window for the interview with the consul?

Our K1 Visa Timeline

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : December 9, 2011

I-129F NOA1 : December 21, 2011

I-129F NOA2 : May 14, 2012 (No RFEs..yay!)

NVC Received : June 22, 2012

Consulate Received : July 5, 2012

Interview Date : August 15, 2012 APPROVED!

"You donÂ’t get to choose, you just fall in love. And you get this person who is all wrong and all right at the same time. And you know that you love them so much except sometimes they just drive you completely insane and no one can explain it and the reason its so confusing is because its love. But if love didnÂ’t have any challenges, what would be the point?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.