redbeard

Will proof of NOA1 change anything after denial of entry at border?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I mailed off the I-130s for my wife and stepson yesterday and am expecting to receive notice of NOA1 sometime next week probably.

Here's a little back story on our situation...

My wife (then fiance) was denied entry at the US/Canadian border last September. She was trying to bring down a toddler bed for our 2.5 year old to use at my place in the states for when they are down visiting. We didn't want to buy another one seeing that we already had two beds for him. Looking back it was a huge mistake, but she honestly had no intention of illegally immigrating or anything of the sort, which is what they thought. They denied her entry on suspicion of immigrant intent and lack of proof of ties at the time. Fair enough...they said it wasn't a big deal and asked her to come back again with proof of sufficient ties to Canada.

She works a full-time job in Langley, has retirement and bank accounts in Canada, auto loan, cell phone, insurance, child care bills, etc. She lives in a basement suite at her parents house, but had a signed affidavit from them saying she lived there. So she returned a couple days later with proof of all that.

The US Border Patrol looked at all the information, but told her "Sorry, we think you are too much of a risk to not return to Canada." They immediately seized her Nexus card.

They actually had the guts to tell her she should never try to return to the states until she is married to either an American or a Canadian.

So...fast forward six months now and she has not attempted the border since. We have been deathly afraid of it. And we are married now. I cross the border every week to see them. The Canadian border guards are lovely and have never given me any guff after more than 100 crossings probably. They don't even bat an eyelash when I tell them I am coming up to see my wife. They seem to care less and never suspect any immigrant intent.

Should my wife even try again with proof of NOA1? Or will her trying again maybe enrage them further and cause problems for us during the immigration process? She is a nicely dressed, native born Canadian who has tons of ties to Canada and a full-time job. This whole situation is crazy.

Has anyone been through anything similar with wisdom to share?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

An NOA1 will not change anything, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) {and not the US Border Patrol} has flagged your wife as a risk. The odds are greater than 50% that she will be refused entry without an immigrant visa. If you were to try again and if she is again refused, the refusal of entry in of itself will not adversely affect the immigration process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

....from another user's posts I read awhile back, the denial at the border did come up as a question during the interview so be sure to document dates/people/circumstances as best you can to help you respond IF it comes up.... in their case the CBP entered the person's denial incorrectly and it appears an easy fix... but more documentation is always the better option ;)

I have tried to explain this to my hubby a number of times... yes I can bring stuff across the border with me, but I cannot - under any circumstance - give a suspicious guard the impression that I may be trying to move before getting the visas are approved! What we have been doing, in a very small scale, is hubby will bring back one or two boxes of things (books, dvds, general stuffs...) in his own car and in my car just the clothes I need for the length of visit (usually just the weekend)..... but never any personal effects (old pics of mine, girly daughter stuffs - those will wait for the Big Move :D

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

An NOA1 will not change anything, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) {and not the US Border Patrol} has flagged your wife as a risk. The odds are greater than 50% that she will be refused entry without an immigrant visa. If you were to try again and if she is again refused, the refusal of entry in of itself will not adversely affect the immigration process.

Thanks for the information. I know she is almost sure to be hauled in to secondary. She has a full copy of our entire I-130 packet, will be holding proof of NOA1, and will be crossing with all the same proof of ties as she did last time. Hoping for the best...

I am seriously considering hiring an appropriate attorney out of Blaine, WA to stand by and meet her at secondary if/when she is called in. I will also be right down the road and will be meeting her at secondary if she is hauled in. There is genuinely no intent of any illegal immigration here. I was already informed by both the US and Canadian NEXUS interview officers when I went in for my interview a few months back that as a US citizen I have every right to walk into the border checkpoint office and ask to talk to a supervisor to straighten this out. They actually highly recommended doing this next time she attempted to cross.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

All she can do is be honest and try to visit. She should not bring anything extra with her other than what she needs for the visit. Unfortunately, she is flagged.

Part of it has got to just be bad luck on one crossing. I myself crossed back and forth for nearly 3 years before my husband and I got married. I did it all the time. Sometimes I had the kids with me, sometimes I did not. I brought random items with me at various times ranging from boxes full of stuff for the kitchen (since I didn't need it while staying with my parents) to a bed for our son. Just like your plan, I did not want to have two beds and buy another one unnecessarily. After we got married I crossed back and forth at least every other week from October until the following March when we had our interview and then again until we actually moved in June.

In all my time before and during the process we were called into secondary only once. And that was for a random check. Even the officer at the booth was apologizing saying it was random and sorry it happened when I had the kids with me. They were only 1 and 4 at the time. He actually yelled in the radio that they better have someone ready and waiting for us since I had little kids with me.

I was never asked for proof of ties. Ever.

I realize I'm babbling. But I'm just trying to share that it is random at times. Was there anything more to it? The fact that they approved her for a Nexus card previously and then took it away makes it seem that she really got their attention. She just has to be honest and patient. They will either allow her to visit or not. And I don't think having a lawyer available will make any difference in secondary will it? Would they even allow him to access her there?

Her carrying her I-130 packet doesn't show any ties, it shows that she IS planning to immigrate. It will be her responsibility to prove that she is going to return to Canada.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

All she can do is be honest and try to visit. She should not bring anything extra with her other than what she needs for the visit. Unfortunately, she is flagged.

Part of it has got to just be bad luck on one crossing. I myself crossed back and forth for nearly 3 years before my husband and I got married. I did it all the time. Sometimes I had the kids with me, sometimes I did not. I brought random items with me at various times ranging from boxes full of stuff for the kitchen (since I didn't need it while staying with my parents) to a bed for our son. Just like your plan, I did not want to have two beds and buy another one unnecessarily. After we got married I crossed back and forth at least every other week from October until the following March when we had our interview and then again until we actually moved in June.

In all my time before and during the process we were called into secondary only once. And that was for a random check. Even the officer at the booth was apologizing saying it was random and sorry it happened when I had the kids with me. They were only 1 and 4 at the time. He actually yelled in the radio that they better have someone ready and waiting for us since I had little kids with me.

I was never asked for proof of ties. Ever.

I realize I'm babbling. But I'm just trying to share that it is random at times. Was there anything more to it? The fact that they approved her for a Nexus card previously and then took it away makes it seem that she really got their attention. She just has to be honest and patient. They will either allow her to visit or not. And I don't think having a lawyer available will make any difference in secondary will it? Would they even allow him to access her there?

Her carrying her I-130 packet doesn't show any ties, it shows that she IS planning to immigrate. It will be her responsibility to prove that she is going to return to Canada.

I think the problem came from her being honest with them that she was going to be staying with me fairly frequently, but was never going to cross the six month cumulative stay allowance. We were very naive about this whole immigration process, and from our limited research online thought that the K3 visa option would be great for us and unite us sooner. Now knowing that the K3 option is dead we feel stupid. There was never ANY intent of illegal immigration or of overstaying her allowable time, or of adjusting status in the states...NEVER not once was it even considered or discussed. She has a full-time job and a lot of responsibilities up north. And I actually work for the government and am under pretty high scrutiny and regular background checks. Meddling in anything like that WOULD cost me my job. Neither one of us would ever circumvent the law. This is just a big misunderstanding...and yes, due to a little bit of naivety on our parts. But this stuff is all very confusing when you are not educated on it...and most people aren't. I'm not saying that as an excuse, but we are both hard working, honest, good people.

This is truly just a misunderstanding. I wish there was some sort of bail I could post as a guarantee of her return or something. I just really hope they will be human beings and listen to her case when she tries the border again...

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is truly just a misunderstanding. I wish there was some sort of bail I could post as a guarantee of her return or something.

This is an idea that has been discussed on here before. I personally think it would be a good one for people who have difficulty getting a B2 or have other issues preventing them getting a B2 or crossing the border.

Pay a sufficiently large fee to get a restricted tourist entry (restricted as in zero possibility of adjusting status and instant deportation if overstay), the money to be returned when the visitor leaves the US at the end of their stay.

Unfortunately there are probably lots of people who would gladly lose that money in order to get to the States and live illegally so it would probably be a non-starter

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Well we finally received our NOA1 yesterday, so my wife is going to attempt the border this evening after work with the NOA1 receipt in hand and a complete copy of our application packet...as well as proof of ties.

Am praying they let her across to visit for the weekend!

She did obviously have the denial of entry back in September, but I'm hoping the fact that she had come to see me dozens of times prior to that and had never stayed more than two days, combined with the fact that we have filed the I-130s and are obviously doing things the right/legal way will give her a good chance at getting through.

I'm a nervous wreck today with the anticipation :)!!!

Wish us luck!!

Will update this thread with news when I have it. Good or bad...

She got through!!

She got hauled in to secondary of course, and the officer did attach an I-94 with departure date to her passport, but she said they were fairly nice and it wasn't the two hour interrogation we expected.

I do think it helped that the officer in secondary was a Canadian dual citizen himself who said he married an American and went through the K3 process a few years back!

How unbelievably lucky is that?

We are just over the moon!

Awesome!!

So glad to hear that :) :)

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

She got through!!

She got hauled in to secondary of course, and the officer did attach an I-94 with departure date to her passport, but she said they were fairly nice and it wasn't the two hour interrogation we expected.

I do think it helped that the officer in secondary was a Canadian dual citizen himself who said he married an American and went through the K3 process a few years back!

How unbelievably lucky is that?

We are just over the moon!

Congrats!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Congrats!

Thank you!

What a true gift the weekend was. They are back home now, but having my family in my home again brought me to tears. And the Mrs. went into serious "Nesting mode" and was working hard to straighten out this husband's "bachelor pad" ;)! Haha! I have been traveling north every week for the past six months because of her entry denial and it was beginning to exhaust me. Can't believe how pleasant of an experience she had at the border, all things considered. She said the agent asked her why she didn't try the border again sooner after the denial (because we were petrified of them, duh :)) and even gave her the name and phone number of an attorney who has an office in Blaine and Vancouver and told her to contact them and try to get this all straightened out.

So at this point we are hoping that seeing they let her through with the I-94 and that she returned on time, when she said she would, they will see that as a positive next time she tries the border in a couple weeks.

It seems the proof of NOA1 and a copy of our entire application packet may have helped a bit. She said the officer went through the whole packet and even looked through our family photos during secondary. The wife said after looking through the photos he said, "Looks like you got yourself a good guy there...even though he IS an American" :). Haha!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.