jarj

I-129F Proof of legal name change

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a US citizen through my dads petition when i was a minor. I had to change my surname because i'm carrying my mom's family name (parent's are separated, and i'm a child out of wedlock).

Now I am filing for K1 visa and there's a section on the I 129f form that says "other names used".. i'm debating if I shall put my name before using my mom's family name or not.. since all the documents (passport, Certificate of Report of Birth Abroad, drivers license, employment records) i'm holding right now indicates my current name.

What I did was not to put it on I129F and put it on G325A and I added it on the list as "supporting documents" on the cover letter. I attached a copy of my Certificate of Report of Birth Abroad and a copy of an Affidavit to use Father's Surname.

do you think what i did is right? Will we get an RFE because of this?

Paranoid here.. lol.. :)

Thanks for your help

• 3 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi, I am currently in a similar situation. My fiancé carried his mom’s maiden name for the first 2 years of his life. When his parents married, they had his surname changed to his current name. My fiancé didn’t even realize this until we submitted our app with no acknowledgment of his previous surname-his mother told him when she was looking for his birth certificate. So, now I’m freaking out thatbwell get an automatic denial based on this. Do you have any insight, how did it turn out for you? Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Gasolina424 said:

Hi, I am currently in a similar situation. My fiancé carried his mom’s maiden name for the first 2 years of his life. When his parents married, they had his surname changed to his current name. My fiancé didn’t even realize this until we submitted our app with no acknowledgment of his previous surname-his mother told him when she was looking for his birth certificate. So, now I’m freaking out thatbwell get an automatic denial based on this. Do you have any insight, how did it turn out for you? Thank you.

Are you the petitioner or is your fiance the petitioner?

if you are petitioning your fiance who had name change, i am thinking that it’s better to include the other names used and include a legal documentation of change name to support the case. 

i just checked our copies of the USCIS forms. Under the other used name section. I didn’t put the previous name that i used. However i have attached the affidavit of change name (which my mom processed when i was still young) and I had no problem with our application or any RFEs. 

My name was changed before i turned 18 and before i got my US citizenship and i am the petitioner. I guess they follow what is on the naturalization certificate. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi, thanks for your quick response. I am the petitioner, my fiancé is applying to come here and had his mom’s surname as a baby for just under 2 years. I have already had my I-129f application accepted by the drop box center. I did not include any name change info or supporting documents in the application because I was unaware (so was my fiancé) that he had held his mom’s surname for a brief time. I guess there is not much I can do now except hope we can clarify with proper documents at the next possible stage. Thanks again for your time and response, best of luck to you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.