l&ns

I-864 Sponsor's Income (unique, maybe?)

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello All,

We have everything done, all documents scanned and ready to email, but we just ran into the I-864 roadblock! Here is a little backstory, as I have not found something similar in the many threads I've read this in:

Just to begin, I cannot find my 2011 US Tax return and have not filed 2014 yet, so do I definitely need to get that third return to answer the questions in Part 6 - 13...?

I am the USC, my wife is Canadian. We live and work in Canada, as I am on a Work Permit that will be expiring in a couple months. I noticed everyone talking about their line 22 on their US tax returns showing $0. Mine actually doesn't show that, so that's my first concern and makes me wonder if my accountant screwed up the last two years (2012 & 2013). Anyway, I make very good money, six figure income, so my line 22 is quite substantial. I keep seeing people recommending to put $0 for their income on the I864 and I was going to do the same, but then I looked at my last US tax 1040 and it said $123,456 (not my real number but still to that effect!). So with that said, you can see my confusion and hope my taxes weren't done wrong in addition to the confusion on how to fill this form out.

Outside of that it seems I have to include my tax info for the last three years filed, which means I need to find either my 2011 or file my 2014, or is it ok to just go with what I have?

Any help would be greatly appreciate as I definitely don't want to get this sent back to me and I can't call the NVC to confirm any of this.

*Edit* Just as a note, my accountant did file form 1116 for Foreign Tax Credit as well

Edited by l&ns

June 22: CR-1 Interview at Montreal Consulate = Approved

July 6: E-mailed Consulate as status has been 'Ready" since Interview with same date

July 7: Case Status as "Ready" and Date Updated

July 13: E-mailed, no update again

July 13: Case Status as "Ready" and Date Updated

July 24: E-mailed again, no update

July 24: Case Status as "Ready" and Date Updated

July 27: Date Updates by itself still "Ready"

July 28: Get Email from Montreal US Consulate requesting to go back and redo fingerprints

July 28: Drive halfway to Montreal

July 29: Get to Montreal

July 30 (8am): Redo fingerprints, consular officer apologizes for having us comeback for fingerprints, issues us the Visa on the spot

July 30 (3pm): VISA in HAND!

August 3: Florida move!

If you can't find your 2011 tax return you can get a tax transcript online at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript. Either is acceptable.

Unless you made over $96k your Canadian income should have been excluded from US taxes. So, was a form 2555 filed with your taxes?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Unless you made over $96k your Canadian income should have been excluded from US taxes. So, was a form 2555 filed with your taxes?

Oh so that's why then, I made six figures. So with that said, my income is listed on my 1040 and line 22 shows my six figure income so I guess I have to use those figures on the I864...

July 6: E-mailed Consulate as status has been 'Ready" since Interview with same date

July 28: Get Email from Montreal US Consulate requesting to go back and redo fingerprints

July 30 (8am): Redo fingerprints, consular officer apologizes for having us comeback for fingerprints, issues us the Visa on the spot

Timeline

For Part 7 where it talks about Assets, we have a considerable amount of money in our Bank accounts, but it is in Canadian. Should we list the Canada amount or convert it to USD and put that converted amount?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Post from me that contained bad information removed along with responses that were a result of that one post.~~~

>>>Moderator hat off<<<

For Part 7 where it talks about Assets, we have a considerable amount of money in our Bank accounts, but it is in Canadian. Should we list the Canada amount or convert it to USD and put that converted amount?

Since it's a Canadian account, the amount given should be CAD.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Isnt only the most recent tax return required? The prior years are optional I believe

-AOS sent (I-485 I-130 and I-765) 03/06/15

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

-NOA in the mail 03/20/15

-Biometric letter 03/27/15

-Biometric appointment 04/06/15

Timeline

Here is one last question and then I think I'm finally finished lol. We decided to use a Joint Sponsor just in case. Even though I make six figures it is foreign income that will be ending once we move back to the US. I think we have enough money in our bank accounts to cover the guidelines as well, but we didn't want to risk it so we are using the Sponsor. Anyway, since my foreign income is essentially zero should we list the $ we have in our banks and back them up with bank statements or is that not needed since we have the Joint Sponsor?

Timeline

Here is one last question and then I think I'm finally finished lol. We decided to use a Joint Sponsor just in case. Even though I make six figures it is foreign income that will be ending once we move back to the US. I think we have enough money in our bank accounts to cover the guidelines as well, but we didn't want to risk it so we are using the Sponsor. Anyway, since my foreign income is essentially zero should we list the $ we have in our banks and back them up with bank statements or is that not needed since we have the Joint Sponsor?

Does anyone know the answer to this? I can't find information on that anywhere...

I would list everything you have and only submit the joint sponsor if necessary at interview.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.