concordia

Travel History and non immigrant visas

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

I'd like to know how much travel experience counts as a deciding factor to the consular officer.I have tried once for B1 B2 visa but denied.I remember being asked whether I have traveled before by the officer and when I answered in the negative,she waved it off .I hear it could be used as a deciding factor though especially for citizens of countries with low approval rating or the so called high fraud countries.

After reading the book US Immigration made easy I knew exactly why I was denied.I mixed medical treatment with pleasure visit and some business research though the health aspect i wasn't going to be confined to the hospital,the rules as stated and categorically emphasized was that medical treatment purpose cannot be joined with ANY OTHER PURPOSE WHATSOEVER and I guess that's what disqualified me.The officer was friendly and she sensed I was nervous too so asked if I had a document about it which I forwarded and in it the Doctor stated I also had interest of sight seeing and some business research,meetings on the side I wanted to partake as I told her.

I'd now like to go again but worried about this lack of travel history especially being single issue.Do I have travel experience first and come back home? How much does travel history counts based on your experiences and expertise dear forum members??

Will appreciate all that can help regarding this as well as other tips that will aid in getting a successful outcome. Awaiting your insights

Thanks and regards

Hi All,

I'd like to know how much travel experience counts as a deciding factor to the consular officer.I have tried once for B1 B2 visa but denied.I remember being asked whether I have traveled before by the officer and when I answered in the negative,she waved it off .I hear it could be used as a deciding factor though especially for citizens of countries with low approval rating or the so called high fraud countries.

After reading the book US Immigration made easy I knew exactly why I was denied.I mixed medical treatment with pleasure visit and some business research though the health aspect i wasn't going to be confined to the hospital,the rules as stated and categorically emphasized was that medical treatment purpose cannot be joined with ANY OTHER PURPOSE WHATSOEVER and I guess that's what disqualified me.The officer was friendly and she sensed I was nervous too so asked if I had a document about it which I forwarded and in it the Doctor stated I also had interest of sight seeing and some business research,meetings on the side I wanted to partake as I told her.

I'd now like to go again but worried about this lack of travel history especially being single issue.Do I have travel experience first and come back home? How much does travel history counts based on your experiences and expertise dear forum members??

Will appreciate all that can help regarding this as well as other tips that will aid in getting a successful outcome. Awaiting your insights

Thanks and regards

There are no magic numbers of trips or any set in stone criteria for getting a tourist visa. Normally strong ties to your home country (employment, owning property, etc.) is the most important criteria, a good travel pattern to different countries will help, but just how much will depend on your other factors.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Which country can be very important.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What country are you from?

There is no magic number, as stated above. However, your medial explanation is very confusing. Could THAT be the reason why you were denied? Without simple, straightforward explanations it is hard to give you a solid answer

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Thanks for the response folks.Insightful

I hear some are even given without travel history at all while some with significant travel history and financial ability have been denied likewise.It all boils down to the eligibility criteria (I think)Proper planning at the initial level through filling the forms are essential I guess and may magnify the chances of approval and confidence at the interview.

I'm from Nigeria by the way.I am in now interested in recreational visit and business

Thanks to Teddy B ,Boiler and Canadian wife. Any other additional suggestions will be appreciated.Keep em coming...

Regards

PS- Does this site has Canadian forum or advise.Perhaps Teddy B and others can offer some insight.I'm interested in visiting Canadian National Parks and strategizing for business purposes too.

Thanks for the response folks.Insightful

I hear some are even given without travel history at all while some with significant travel history and financial ability have been denied likewise.It all boils down to the eligibility criteria (I think)Proper planning at the initial level through filling the forms are essential I guess and may magnify the chances of approval and confidence at the interview.

I'm from Nigeria by the way.I am in now interested in recreational visit and business

Thanks to Teddy B ,Boiler and Canadian wife. Any other additional suggestions will be appreciated.Keep em coming...

Regards

PS- Does this site has Canadian forum or advise.Perhaps Teddy B and others can offer some insight.I'm interested in visiting Canadian National Parks and strategizing for business purposes too.

Yes, here's a link to the Canada forum, http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/but it's mostly for people immigrating from Canada to the US. There are some very helpful folks that might be able to help you with some questions about Canada or point you in the right direction. Here's a link to a Canadian immigration site as well. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php

Edited by Teddy B

Timeline

http://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s/110

A forum specific for Nigeria and quite an eye opener.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks all.Special appreciation to Boiler for the nairaland link.

One last question I may have is about using the services of an immigration lawyer.Some people and immigration lawyers believe hiring a lawyer if one has had denial in the past is a worthy investment as they will help in filling up the DS 160 form(as well as an idea of what to say during interview and documents to include) which is the basis of the interview with most of the interview questions popping up from the way the form was filled and data therein.On the other hand some think including immigration lawyers think there's actually no need for a lawyer for B1B2 at all.In other words go solo and hope for the best.Scaling the eligibility and qualification is all that matters I guess...

I think it depends on how articulate one can be if DIY

Lastly,what do you think about applying in a third country one is in for a visit or temporary residence.The government sites technically says one can apply from any consulate while practically, you are given (greatest) consideration in country of permanent residency.Applying elsewhere will not be held against anyone especially if you can demonstrate you have business to do in the third country and will be more convenient for you applying there.That is to say it is legal but may be hard but not impossible.What if one has had denial a few years earlier from home?

I need insight on this though.Is it advisable or worth risking trying??

Thanks all

Timeline

Most Consulates will only interview citizens and residents.

Most Consulates will only interview citizens and residents.

While this used to be the case years ago, it has not been so for quite some time. There is no longer any restriction of where you can apply. You can apply at any consulate or Embassy in any country where you are physically present. The odds of getting approved, however, are frequently slim.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks guys.How about the need for lawyer stuff.Any hints or personal experience??

What can a lawyer do that you cannot?

When you fill in the DS160 you answer every question truthfully, I don't remember any questions on it that could be vague enough to put anything but the truth.

Same with the interview, you get asked questions and you answer them truthfully.

What could any lawyer do to change this?

As for going to another country, while apparently possible, how would it really improve your chances? If anything I'd imagine it lessening your chances of approval. You would still be a citizen of your own country and interviewing in a country where you are only visiting or only residing in temporarily where you won't have many reasons to return.

I could well be wrong, I'm only trying to look at at from the same angle that a CO would look at it.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Thank you all

Please someone help me out with this.From the government site travel,state.gov the appointment wait time is 4 days but on the appointment availability and schedule site to make the appointment it's about a month.The info used to be the same before.I don't understand it this time around

Can someone clarify this for me??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.