Nele

Marriage vs K1

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi Guys,

After researching and talking to some people I came to understand there are two options for filing for my residency. (correct me if I'm wrong)

1. We get married in the States and file for everything together there.

2. We file for K1, me from my country and he from the US.

I was wondering which one is the best way to go and if people want to share their experience on this?

Thanks already

03/02/2015: filed I-129F at the USCIS Texas

03/13/2015: received confirmation (Form I-797), file will now get routed to the USCIS California Service Center for processing. We wait :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You either marry first and file for a CR-1 spousal visa, which you will still need to be in your country for, or you file for a K-1 fiance(e) visa and then get married in the US within 90 days of entry.

Compare > http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

~ Moved from K-1 Process to What Visa Do I Need - OP still deciding on immigration path~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Check if you can get married in the States under the Visa-Waiver program. I believe Belgium is part of that program. If not, the K1 route is the best way to go... check out the guides on the forums for more info and see what's best for your case.

US (L)

Met online in 2008

Became involved in 2010
Broke up in 2011
Got back together in 2012
First trip to Morocco - Dec 2012
Second trip to Morocco - June/Aug 2013 *Engaged! But decide to wait until I finish Uni
M visits me in Mexico! - Sept 2013/Mar 2014 *Proposes again!
I move to Morocco to "test the waters" - Nov 2014

K1-Visa
2/21/15 : Preparing to file...

Check if you can get married in the States under the Visa-Waiver program. I believe Belgium is part of that program. If not, the K1 route is the best way to go... check out the guides on the forums for more info and see what's best for your case.

You can get married in the states under the VWP but you would have to LEAVE the states afterwards and apply for the Cr1 visa.

Op- you cannot go to the usa to marry with intent to stay.

Either go and marry and come back and start the CR1 or apply now for the K1 and marry when the visa is issued within 90 days of arrival.

I know being apart is hard, but no on will or can give advice for you both to marry and stay without a visa as it is against the websites TOS.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

You can get married in the states under the VWP but you would have to LEAVE the states afterwards and apply for the Cr1 visa.

Op- you cannot go to the usa to marry with intent to stay.

Either go and marry and come back and start the CR1 or apply now for the K1 and marry when the visa is issued within 90 days of arrival.

I know being apart is hard, but no on will or can give advice for you both to marry and stay without a visa as it is against the websites TOS.

Thank you, yeah, I figured it out too...

It's okay, 6 months waiting isn't that much if we look back at the 18 months we've already been doing the long distance thing...

I just wanted to make absolutely sure that the K1 is the best way to do this.

Thank you all for replying, appreciate it! And good luck to all you :)

03/02/2015: filed I-129F at the USCIS Texas

03/13/2015: received confirmation (Form I-797), file will now get routed to the USCIS California Service Center for processing. We wait :)

It may or may not the the best way. K1 is always quicker to visa but it costs more and is longer to green card than the CR1. Check the comparision guide and decide what is most important to you two and the veat way for you.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.