immifriend2014

chnage of status from H4 to F1,travel

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Hi all,

I am an immigrant.recently i got divorced.to start my life fresh,I decided to go back to school.I applied for a change of status from H4(dependent) to F1(student) .my ex husband denied any kind of support either in immigration or financially.I am doing everything all by myself.

well,I have few concerns..I am currently awaiting the processing of change of status..I am kind of in a limbo state from H4--------F1.

it's been 45 days that i have been waiting to hear from Immigration dept.

I was told that during this process, I am not supposed to travel anywhere out of the country, which is completely understandable.

But cannot I travel anywhere within the country..like from one state to another state, one city to another city .by taking a flight or taking a bus?? couple of friends warned me not to take up any kind of travel, as it might jeopardize my chances of visa approval.

I do have my passport but of-course with the expired I-94.I also have my driving license again which is expired.

I also have SSN which I received when I was on H4 status and had EAD(work permit).Is SSN helpful anywhere, in any process??

kindly somebody tell me what is all this and how exactly does this work?? I am not able to understand anything.I can't drive,can't go anywhere, I feel bored to death, depressed and stuck.

soon my health insurance will expire.I have been planning to go attend some counselling sessions to get through the divorce, but looks like even that is not possible.

how long does it take for the processing??

can i travel anywhere within USA either by flight or bus??

what other options do i have to do something worthwhile while i await the visa approval.I can't just sit and do nothing.

please somebody suggest me something.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

H4 does not come with EAD.

Did you file to change status before you divorced?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

H4 does not come with EAD.

Did you file to change status before you divorced?

when my ex husband applied for EAD,i got EAD through his employer.it is valid till may 2015.

well, i applied for COS to F1, after we filed for divorce.the divorce was a impulsive decision by my husband.the divorce process went for 7 months.

so i applied for it 1 month before my I-94 expired. all fast decisions were taken.

Firstly, if you have a work permit, you can renew your driver's license. Please do that as soon as possible & call your DMV. You can definitely travel by local bus or one that travels to another state. You don't need an ID for that, just your ticket. I'm pretty sure you can travel within the US as long as you have an ID that's not expired, so you can (I think) use your passport and if not that you can get a general ID (or renewed driver's license) from the DMV. I'm very sorry about the divorce. Try your best to keep yourself busy. Good luck!

Nov 17 2014 - USCIS texts/emails received with case number
Nov 21 2014 - Biometric letter sent to us

Dec 02 2014 - Biometric letter received (Appointment on Dec 12)

Dec 11 2014 - Biometrics done (Appointment on 12)
Dec 04 2014 - RFE letter sent to us
Dec 18 2014 - RFE letter received(Request for Initial Evidence)
Feb 04 2015 - Evidence for RFE received
Feb 10/11/19- Card being ordered, produced, mailed to us

Feb 23 2014 - Received EAD card in mail (was supposed to be 21, delay due to snow storm.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like there is a GC application in there, how soon after divorce did you seek to change status?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

You can travel anywhere you want inside the U.S.

An F1 student visa is a nonimmigrant visa that requires you to show a foreign home that you intend to return to after you complete your studies. You are not an immigrant. You will be here on a nonimmigrant F1 student visa.

On the student visa, you will not have an EAD. You will not be able to work the first year. After the first year, your employment will be of limited hours and only on campus or an approved off campus job related to your studies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.