die_katta

UK Citizen has questions reg Naturalization

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

these past few days I ve been tossing around the idea of becoming a US Citizen through naturalization (mu husband is American). This was never my plan but we ve had a baby a few months ago and I would just feel better having a US Citizenship.

My whole citizenship situation is frustrating and messy so I m not sure if things work out the way I would like to.

I m a British Citizen born (which makes me a British citizen by descent), raised and lived in Germany my whole life until 2012. Thats the year we moved.

I would like to apply for US citizenship but don't want to give up my British one. Do I even stand a chance of keeping it? Also, in order to keep it do I need to apply to some sort of Retention Certificate or can I just go ahead and apply for US citizenship?

How does the whole process for UK citizens work?

Any help would be appreciated!

You can apply for US citizenship without compromising your British citizenship.

The only way to renounce your British citizenship would be by completing an application of renunciation and filing it. Nothing you file with the US government - including a US citizenship application - will revoke your British citizenship.

In short, this is a non-issue.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

To clarify- are you currently living in the USA and have a valid greencard?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

You can apply for US citizenship without compromising your British citizenship.

The only way to renounce your British citizenship would be by completing an application of renunciation and filing it. Nothing you file with the US government - including a US citizenship application - will revoke your British citizenship.

In short, this is a non-issue.

Seconded.

Dual citizenship with Germany, if the OP has that as well, is difficult, but not at all difficult for British.

I already have British and Canadian, as do my parents; we naturalized to Canada, and that event did not relinquish our existing British , as relinquishing it requires you to go through specific steps (gaining citizenship elsewhere does not count). Since getting Canadian a few decades ago my parents have always maintained passports in both countries, and I have generally as well.

I think US citizenship is the world's best, if you can choose only one, but British is probably in the top three. I heard recently that it allows visa-less access to more countries than any other. Full access to EU nations, and Great Britain continues to be one of the better countries to live in, so I understand why you would not want to lose it--and the good news is, you won't.

Edited by ExPatty

Good luck!

I don't think you lose it but you do say that you "renounce" allegiance to the UK in your oath ceremony.

Previous Visa & EAD/AP Timeline

K-1 Visa Timeline

22 March 2014 - Sent I-129F

See timeline for data in between these dates.

24 June 2014 - Interview

25 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Administrative Processing

26 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Issued

01 July 2014 - Received Visa

POE & Marriage

03 July 2014 - POE (BWI airport)

14 July 2014 - Marriage

Advanced Parole (I131)Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
31 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
27 September 2014 - EAD Combo Card Received

Employment Authorisation (I765) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
20 September 2014 - Card in Production Update
22 September 2014 - Card in Production Update Again
25 September 2014 - Card Sent Update (Another update came later that day with USPS tracking code)
27 September 2014 - Card Received

Adjustment of Status (I-148) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
24 July 2014 - Acceptance - Fingerprint fee accepted and case processed at Nebraska Service Center
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
26 August 2014 - Biometrics Done
12 November 2014 - Notification of Potential Interview Waiver (NPIW) Received
26 March 2014 - Cleveland Field Office is requesting my file from NBC.
23 April 2014 - Green Card Ordered!

Avatar Photo by Henry Mühlpfordt / CC-BY

If you are British born then you are British by birth not descent (through family). In any case, as far as the British government is concerned you will remain British unless you formally renounce your British citizenship to them regardless of whether you gain US citizenship or not.

05/01 - Married USC

06/01 - Filed I-130/I-485

01/03 - Conditional LPR approved

05/05 - Conditions removed

12/13 - Divorced USC

10/10/14 - Filed N-400 based on 5+yrs LPR

10/24/14 - NOA

11/12/14 - Fingerprinted

11/14/14 - In line e-notification

12/01/14 - E-notification of interview scheduled

12/05/14 - Received interview letter - Interview scheduled for January 8th.

01/08/15 - Passed citizenship interview and recommended for approval!

01/19/15 - In line for oath ceremony

02/19/15 - Oath scheduled for March 6th, 2015!

03/06/15 - Became a US citizen! :dancing:

Being US citizen has to pay taxes on worldwide income, subjected to FBAR and the latest FATCA.

Someone posted this in another section of VJ.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-us-governments-stupid-tax-war-on-expatriates-2015-02-20?siteid=yhoof2

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Timeline

To clarify- are you currently living in the USA and have a valid greencard?

Yes, I have a green card since 2012. We are going through ROC at the moment. My husband is active military and we are stationed overseas.

Seconded.

Dual citizenship with Germany, if the OP has that as well, is difficult, but not at all difficult for British.

I already have British and Canadian, as do my parents; we naturalized to Canada, and that event did not relinquish our existing British , as relinquishing it requires you to go through specific steps (gaining citizenship elsewhere does not count). Since getting Canadian a few decades ago my parents have always maintained passports in both countries, and I have generally as well.

I think US citizenship is the world's best, if you can choose only one, but British is probably in the top three. I heard recently that it allows visa-less access to more countries than any other. Full access to EU nations, and Great Britain continues to be one of the better countries to live in, so I understand why you would not want to lose it--and the good news is, you won't.

I hold British and Greek Citizenship.The Greek passport I am willing to give up.No German Citizenship. Being born in Germany doesn't automatically make me a German citizen by law.

So you didn't have to apply for a retention or anything like that? No specific application to fill out? Are you sure?

This is my concern and main question. As I know that German Citizens wishing to become US citizens have to apply for a Retention Certificate and must receive it before they take the Oath or otherwise they will lose German Citizenship.

Yeah, I want to keep my UK one for easier access to EU countries incl. Germany where my family lives.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Well, I was a kid, but absolutely NOTHING I can find online indicates a person need file any kind of cert with the UK government. Germany is known as a country that doesn't like dual citizenship.

Germany: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law#Dual_citizenship

England: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law#Dual_nationality_and_dual_citizenship

Remember that country A does not control country B's citizenship. So, regardless of what one country may claim you have done to your other citizenship, it is legally immaterial unless that other country agrees. This is why when you take the oath with the US and you're verbally saying you lose allegiance to another country, only if that other country recognizes this does it remove your citizenship from them. The UK has said this doesn't affect it.

https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.