LibCampFireClub

Gov. Scott Walker: ‘I don’t know’ whether Obama is a Christian

326 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Clarity evolves from faith and faith is the assurance of things hoped for. The conviction of things not seen.

Internal/personal clarity. Which is fine. But clarity can also be achieved bu knowledge. Clarity on why there are waves in the ocean or clouds in the sky. Now we know. That particular clarity was brought to us by scientific research. I suppose there are all sorts of clarity.

Filed: Other Timeline

Internal/personal clarity. Which is fine. But clarity can also be achieved bu knowledge. Clarity on why there are waves in the ocean or clouds in the sky. Now we know. That particular clarity was brought to us by scientific research. I suppose there are all sorts of clarity.

It's not so esoteric. Faith is much more substantial as it is part of daily life. Faith evolves from experience. It's not magic, but may seem so to one who rejects it's existence. Trust leads to faith, and vice versa. Faith is not just a religious thing. It's part of human experience.

Timeline

It's not so esoteric. Faith is much more substantial as it is part of daily life. Faith evolves from experience. It's not magic, but may seem so to one who rejects it's existence. Trust leads to faith, and vice versa. Faith is not just a religious thing. It's part of human experience.

I guess. I must be missing the gene.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I am sure there are degrees of clarity, even within the subjective spectrum of each individual' perception. As with all things abstract however, what is really relevant is what one does with it.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Despite completing my degree in Christian theology, I later chose to live a non-Christian life. However, I find many of the passages and words of the Bible to be applicable to every day life. For example, when it comes to faith, I think of the book of James, chapter 1:

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach it will be given to him. But, let him ask in FAITH, without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea driven and tossed by the wind."

Something about having different levels of clarity brought this to mind.

Edited by ExExpat

obviously, if you have a question and ask god without doubting that whatever 'answer' you receive as the right one, you're going to avoid some inner turmoil by refusing to doubt. faith is a nice way of excusing stubborn ignorance.

obviously, if you have a question and ask god without doubting that whatever 'answer' you receive as the right one, you're going to avoid some inner turmoil by refusing to doubt. faith is a nice way of excusing stubborn ignorance.

What came first? The chicken or the egg?

doesn't matter.

Correct. It doesn't matter if you choose not to defend your hip-shot attack masqueraded as a point.

Faith is NOT simply a religious phenomena. It's part of every day life. Each and every human being and living creature proceeds on what they do by faith. You sit in a chair because you believe it will hold you. You eat what you eat believing it will fill your tummy and not kill you. But, why do you have such trust? Where did that come from?

Correct! Experience. Experience brings faith. So, which came first?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Faith begins where reason ends.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Correct. It doesn't matter if you choose not to defend your hip-shot attack masqueraded as a point.

Faith is NOT simply a religious phenomena. It's part of every day life. Each and every human being and living creature proceeds on what they do by faith. You sit in a chair because you believe it will hold you. You eat what you eat believing it will fill your tummy and not kill you. But, why do you have such trust? Where did that come from?

Completely agree. I take a lot of scientific research on faith considering I do not have the mental capacity to follow the low level math behind many of the observations.

Faith begins where reason ends.

Wrong

i sit in a chair because gravity exists. not because i believe gravity exists or because i have faith that this time i sit in a chair will be the same as the last time i sat in a chair.

sounds to me like you think faith and reason are the same beast.

Edited by val erie

Jesus' lesson of the mustard seed is extremely elusive. Having faith so small that will enable one to move a mountain? Perhaps considering having faith of putting one foot in front of the other and not doubting whether the floor beneath will hold you.