luckytxn

Gene Alday, Mississippi Lawmaker, Says Blacks Don't Work And Get 'Crazy Welfare Checks'

87 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Let's not focus on sub-groups. Overall, the picture is (as of 2010 - most recent provided) Whites took 31.8% of the TANF benefits and Blacks took 31.9% (table A in your source).

That still leaves whites ahead of blacks in welfare when looking at TANF and SNAP together.

Blacks make up 13% of the population

Timeline

Yes, and? That means that proportionately they more heavily utilize these programs. But the majority of welfare recipients is still not black. Two different things.

That means its a larger problem for the black community than the white community. For some reason, their numbers do not follow the population curve. Things like that stick out in statistics you know. Why are so many more of the black community on welfare than the white population. That's a reasonable discussion to have in a thread like this. Not, deflection responses. Liberals and Conservatives both have their theories on why this is.

Filed: Timeline

That means its a larger problem for the black community than the white community. For some reason, their numbers do not follow the population curve. Things like that stick out in statistics you know. Why are so many more of the black community on welfare than the white population. That's a reasonable discussion to have in a thread like this. Not, deflection responses. Liberals and Conservatives both have their theories on why this is.

All fine and well but that's a different discussion.

i've never heard the conservative take on that question outside of skirting around the idea of bad genetics.

Timeline

i've never heard the conservative take on that question outside of skirting around the idea of bad genetics.

Well that's not really true. Some conservatives think that the best way to motivate someone is to take away the hand out. They think the best way to deal with perpetual poverty is to take away any option other than to become self reliant. A swift kick in the butt sometimes you know. There are other opinions as well, some bordering on racism and some not. Conservative thinking is rooted in self reliance and the possibility of success for anyone who wishes to work hard. Its not an evil way of thinking and has tons of merit in many specific examples. But, I believe it falls short of addressing the reality of the situation. In the end, I think both parties want people working and supporting themselves. But how to get there is where they differ. Only the jerks think its a genetic thing. And I don't believe that's all or even most conservatives, despite how it comes across sometimes.

Well that's not really true. Some conservatives think that the best way to motivate someone is to take away the hand out. They think the best way to deal with perpetual poverty is to take away any option other than to become self reliant. A swift kick in the butt sometimes you know. There are other opinions as well, some bordering on racism and some not. Conservative thinking is rooted in self reliance and the possibility of success for anyone who wishes to work hard. Its not an evil way of thinking and has tons of merit in many specific examples. But, I believe it falls short of addressing the reality of the situation. In the end, I think both parties want people working and supporting themselves. But how to get there is where they differ. Only the jerks think its a genetic thing. And I don't believe that's all or even most conservatives, despite how it comes across sometimes.

i can't think of anything to say because i can't picture any conservatives i know willingly immersing themselves in emerson and taking him to heart. my belief is that self reliance and community are heavily intertwined, you're only as strong as your weakest link etc etc. the conservative argument i most often hear is how to get rid of the weakest link, not improve the weakest link. now i know i'm cynical and all but these discussions seem to start off with a workable nature/nurture premise but the genetic argument is what it comes down to time after time. i guess i should stop conversating with jerks.

The answer is simple. It all goes back to history. It's a lot harder for a black person to accrue wealth, under the best circumstances.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I also think "hunger" is a great motivator to get off one's posterior. Able bodied people receiving benefits should be getting the bare minimum to survive temporarily, with strict limits on the amount and duration of the dole. There should be MANY strings attached.

That's all well and good in theory, but one can easily imagine such a tactic, forcing people to remain in poverty. I see having access to enough food and shelter as a basic human right and some kind of privilege. In the 19th century, Ireland's population was decimated because the British establishment at the time, felt that feeding Irish people during a famine, might cause Irish people to become dependent on handouts. If you want to end poverty, then ask your member of congress to support real wage increases, that allow people the opportunity to at least maintain their living standards, rather being continually forced to loose out, in the name of maintaining corporate profits.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Timeline

The answer is simple. It all goes back to history. It's a lot harder for a black person to accrue wealth, under the best circumstances.

That's one of the answers. But not the entire reason.

Filed: Timeline

Failure loves company? I will accept that. However, there are enough wealthy blacks out there not to accept that as an excuse.

That's one of the answers. But not the entire reason.

Do you have lazy folks that mooch off welfare? Of course. Both sides do this. I posted an article about a surfer dude who was mooching off the system, no outrage. Becasuse he was white, folks didn't want to bother with it. The problem is, no one wants to have this conversation because when fingers get pointed on both sides, people devolve into a shouting match. One side blames racism, the other says black people are lazy.

45 years ago, my grandfather tried to buy a house in the nice parts of St. Louis. He worked his butt off and saved money so he could buy a nice house to leave to his kids when he died. He wasn't allowed to do so. He had to buy a place in a more "appropriate" setting. The boot strap theory didn't work for him.

When you spend 400+ years dehumanizing an entire race of people, there's bound to be collateral damage.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Failure loves company? I will accept that. However, there are enough wealthy blacks out there not to accept that as an excuse.

No joke. And you would think excusing everything with institutional racism would be a big FU to the ones that have succeeded.