JayT80

Sponsoring questions… please help

20 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My citizenship oath ceremony will be held on the 20th of Feb., after that, can I file form i130 for my wife and kid immediately?

Do I have to file 2 Forms for my wife and 6yo daughter?

Can my daughter immediately turn into a citizen? She was 1yo when I got here in US as a permanent resident.

Whats the average time until they get here? Uscis says between 6-12months?

Thanks

Timeline

Somebody started this thread http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/536236-filing-i-130/and we're almost in the same situation, except im a us citizen in a few days. Do i have to file separate for my daughter??

Thank you

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Somebody started this thread http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/536236-filing-i-130/and we're almost in the same situation, except im a us citizen in a few days. Do i have to file separate for my daughter??

Thank you

Yes, you will have to file separately for your daughter.

When a USC petitions for a spouse, derivative beneficies are not allowed. Accordingly, you have to file separately for your daughter.

Timeline

Thanks for the reply. I dont get it, how come USC have to file separately and Permanent Resident don't? Which one has faster processing times though?

It's just the law. No idea why it's that way.

Faster for a USC to bring over a spouse and unmarried children under age 21 versus an LPR petitioner.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

It's just the law. No idea why it's that way.

Faster for a USC to bring over a spouse and unmarried children under age 21 versus an LPR petitioner.

The whole processing time (approx time) to get immigrant visas (CR-1/IR-1) for your spouse and your kid under 21 is about 1 1/3 year or less than that if you are a USC.

1) USCIS processing time

2) "Shipping case from USCIS to NVC" time

3) then NVC processing time (receiving documents, scanning documents and processing for 60 days unless checklist is received. If checklist is received by petitioner/beneficiary and corrected document(s) are mailed to NVC, there will be another 60 days. Don't forget about snowy weather that affects processing time).

4) then "shipping case from NVC to embassy" time. (depending on DHL)

5) then interview time (from 30 minutes to 2 hours including sitting on chair) and wait for visa to be issued.

The whole processing time (approx time) to get immigrant visas for your spouse and your kid is much longer than 1 year if you are a US permanent resident.

1) USCIS processing time

2) then Dept of State time - bulletin dates (to see if your priority date is current or not)

3) When your priority date is current, then follow step 3 to 5 above.

You are lucky! You will be a US citizen on Feb 20th. Congratulations on your citizenship and Good luck!

For USC, there is no waiting time (Dept of State). Yes, you have to file separately.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

The whole processing time (approx time) to get immigrant visas (CR-1/IR-1) for your spouse and your kid under 21 is about 1 1/3 year or less than that if you are a USC.

1) USCIS processing time

2) "Shipping case from USCIS to NVC" time

3) then NVC processing time (receiving documents, scanning documents and processing for 60 days unless checklist is received. If checklist is received by petitioner/beneficiary and corrected document(s) are mailed to NVC, there will be another 60 days. Don't forget about snowy weather that affects processing time).

4) then "shipping case from NVC to embassy" time. (depending on DHL)

5) then interview time (from 30 minutes to 2 hours including sitting on chair) and wait for visa to be issued.

The whole processing time (approx time) to get immigrant visas for your spouse and your kid is much longer than 1 year if you are a US permanent resident.

1) USCIS processing time

2) then Dept of State time - bulletin dates (to see if your priority date is current or not)

3) When your priority date is current, then follow step 3 to 5 above.

You are lucky! You will be a US citizen on Feb 20th. Congratulations on your citizenship and Good luck!

For USC, there is no waiting time (Dept of State). Yes, you have to file separately.

Thanks

For the form g325a, does my wife needs to sign the form itself? Or can she just print the form, signed and scan it so i can just print it and send to uscis with the form i130? Because it takes a long time when sending a letter from my country to US

Edited by JayT80

Timeline

Thanks

For the form g325a, does my wife needs to sign the form itself? Or can she just print the form, signed and scan it so i can just print it and send to uscis with the form i130? Because it takes a long time when sending a letter from my country to US

My spouse signed the form itself and mailed to me via DHL. No scanned copy. Any form must contains an original signature. If your wife is out of the country, you better collect everything like copy of police clearance certificate, copy of birth certificate of your wife, etc.

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/signature-requirements-uscis-forms

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/401774-g-325a-can-i-get-signature-of-the-foreign-beneficiary-scanned-and-email-it-to-me/

http://www.murthy.com/2013/07/16/blue-ink-now-accepted-by-national-visa-center/

Edited by spousewaitingvisa

Timeline

My spouse signed the form itself and mailed to me via DHL. No scanned copy. Any form must contains an original signature. If your wife is out of the country, you better collect everything like copy of police clearance certificate, copy of birth certificate of your wife, etc.

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/signature-requirements-uscis-forms

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/401774-g-325a-can-i-get-signature-of-the-foreign-beneficiary-scanned-and-email-it-to-me/

http://www.murthy.com/2013/07/16/blue-ink-now-accepted-by-national-visa-center/

Cool. Thank you. But do we really need the birth certificate and poilice clearance? Coz i didnt see it as a requirement on uscis site

Timeline

Cool. Thank you. But do we really need the birth certificate and poilice clearance? Coz i didnt see it as a requirement on uscis site

You will need the birth cerificate, police certificate, etc. later for NVC after I-130 is approved.

You can read this so you can prepare to collect things from your spouse. forms must be original with original signature, but photocopies of birth ceritificate, marriage certificate, birth certificate, tax transcripts/returns, etc can be accepted. Please read at this link:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Original IV documents will be required to be shown at the interview.

Edited by spousewaitingvisa

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I have another question.

What's gonna be the status of my child when she gets here? I know my wife have to wait 3years in order for her to apply for citizenship, how about my daughter? Is she gonna be automatically a citizen? Or the same like her mom??

Timeline

What's gonna be the status of my child when she gets here? I know my wife have to wait 3years in order for her to apply for citizenship, how about my daughter? Is she gonna be automatically a citizen? Or the same like her mom?

Thanks

Your daughter and her mom will be green card holders when they enter US on immigrant visa. Based on marriage, her mom will have to wait for 3 years to apply for citizenship.

About your daughter.. there are two options:

First option: If your daughter is less than 18 years old after her mom becomes a US citizen via naturalization oath ceremony, your daughter is automatically a citizen, then apply for N-600 (Certificate of Citizenship) or just apply for a passport for her. There is no point to waiting for a Certificate of Citizenship before applying for a passport. A passport is faster and cheaper to get. You can get a Certificate of Citizenship (N-600) later to be safe for the long term if you want. Certificate of Citizenship is a proof if her passport is lost or she hasn't applied for a passport.

Second option: Is she your biological daughter? If so, there is Child Citizenship Act of 2000 – Sections 320 and 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to see if your daughter met all conditions under that act. I think she should be automatically US citizen if she resides in US and LPR and has one parent who is a US citizen thru naturalization. See links below.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/child-citizenship-act.html

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter4.html

If she is not your biological daughter, you can forget about second option. Use first option..

Timeline

I have another question.

What's gonna be the status of my child when she gets here? I know my wife have to wait 3years in order for her to apply for citizenship, how about my daughter? Is she gonna be automatically a citizen? Or the same like her mom??

Once your minor child enters the US on an immigrant visa to live with you, the child automatically becomes a US citizen. You can apply for a Certificate of Citizenship and/or a US pasport.

4 requirements for your child to automatically be a US citizen under the Child Citizenship Act.

1. Child is under 18; and

2. Child is an LPR; and

3. Child has. USC parent; and

4. Child lives with that USC parent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.