reach449

More Documents at interview.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

When I filed my wife's N-400 we sent every document the USCIS wanted...Bill, Bank accounts, my passport, front and back on green card, 3 years of tax returns, and a lot more. Last week we got a notice in the mail from USCIS that we need to bring more docs to the interview, not send them now. Now they want a copy of my wife's driver's license and her Thailand passport and "any other important documents", (exact words). Just what in the hell is "any other important documents?" We sent what they wanted and now they ask for passport, driver's license, and "important documents".

You know, I don't want to go on a rant, sort of speak, but I am fed-up with the whole system! When we filled out the N-400 and answered ALL of those questions about prison time, breaking the law etc..it really got me angry. Of-course all of her answers were "NO". As everyone here on VJ we do the process the legal and right way and pay thousands of dollars. But when I see our government letting in criminals, gang members, mostly likely terrorists and who know what other kind of people and give them a free green card and going letting them "go to the head of the line", it angers me. Not to mention they most likely get free health care and subsidies.... and no interviews. What has happened to our country???The government is watering down US Citizenship and making it "less valuable" by doing this!

We will be happy for my wife to get her Citizenship and we will cherish it...because we worked and did everything the right way. But always in the back of my mind is the 11,000,000 that get a lot for nothing. I realize they don't get citizenship, but it starts a pathway for them to get there.

Anyway, I am sorry for my rant...hope someone can tell me why more documents and if it a "normal thing", if anything anymore is normal.

Thanks Everyone,

Reach449

SAO'S AND RANDY'S TIMELINES:

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/06/07-INTERVIEW>>PASSED INTERVIEW!!

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

10/29/07-All, (three) NOA1's received in the mail!

11/20/07-Biometric's Appointment/Complied with..no problems

12/18/07-NOA for interview appointment...02/12/08

01/04/08-Recieved EAD card and AP in the US mail!

02/12/08-AOS APPROVED AT INTERVIEW; CARD ORDERED

02/28/08-Green Card arrived in mail.

Removal of Conditions:

11/12/09-Mailed I-751 package

11/23/09-NOA 1

01/21/10-USCIS confirms no Biometrics

02/16/10-Card Production ordered

02/27/10-Green Card arrived!

N-400 Naturalization Citizenship:

12/12/2014-N-400 Package received by Lewisville Lockbox

12/18/2014-I-797C NOA received in mail; sent in old version of N-400

01/02/2014-USCIS Lewisville Received Package

01/06/2014-Checked Cashed

01/12/2014-Email from USCIS Receipt of Package

02/03/15-Biometrics Completed

02/04/15-USCIS notice of scheduling Interview

02/24/15-Interview scheduled for 03/31/2015

03/31/2015-Interview>Went Very well!

04/28/2015-OATH

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

If you have filed under the 3 year rule, I would bring additional evidence of your marriage. I brought a few more bank statements from the time frame of after ROC and now and a copy of our HUD of the house we bought last year. I also had brought a few flight tickets and such things. My IO just asked me after the Civics test if I had anything else that USCIS had not gotten from me in the past and that I would like to add, so I gave them the Bank Statements and Hud, but i kept the flight tickets and a few things i had submitted in my ROC package!

In the rare case that they want to see something else that you don't have on you that moment they allow you to mail it in after the interview. Good luck with the process

N-400

10/08/2014 N400 sent

10/16/14 Check Cashed

11/13/14 Biometrics

01/06/15 N400 Interview

01/30/15 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

If you have filed under the 3 year rule, I would bring additional evidence of your marriage. I brought a few more bank statements from the time frame of after ROC and now and a copy of our HUD of the house we bought last year. I also had brought a few flight tickets and such things. My IO just asked me after the Civics test if I had anything else that USCIS had not gotten from me in the past and that I would like to add, so I gave them the Bank Statements and Hud, but i kept the flight tickets and a few things i had submitted in my ROC package!

In the rare case that they want to see something else that you don't have on you that moment they allow you to mail it in after the interview. Good luck with the process

Thanks, I appreciate it. I did send in our gas, electric, bank accounts, and mortgage which both of our names and addresses are on all these. And of-course our last 3 tax returns, which were filed jointly. Besides of the passport and DL, I just have no idea of what else to send to show we have happily been married for seven years, but I will see what else I can think of.

Reach449

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

11/23/09-NOA 1

04/28/2015-OATH

Thanks, I appreciate it. I did send in our gas, electric, bank accounts, and mortgage which both of our names and addresses are on all these. And of-course our last 3 tax returns, which were filed jointly. Besides of the passport and DL, I just have no idea of what else to send to show we have happily been married for seven years, but I will see what else I can think of.

Reach449

You can bring the originals of these papers as well as the new evidence which covers the time while your N400 was pending.

Maybe a new tax return if you filed it before the interview.

Adjustment of Status

Dec 3, 2008 - Aug 20, 2009 (approval on August 7th)

Removing of Conditions

May 9, 2011 - October 4, 2011 (approval on September 28th)

Naturalization

July 19, 2014 - N400 packet sent out

July 21, 2014 - N400 packet delivered

July 23, 2014 - received email/text that I-797 is issued

July 26, 2014 - received I-797 in mail

August 11, 2014 - received the Biometrics notification

August 14, 2014 - biometrics walk-in (original date August 20)

August 18, 2014 - in line for interview scheduling

September 9, 2014 - yellow letter is received (letter is issued September 3)

November 3, 2014 - interview notice is issued (email/text alert)

November 10, 2014 - interview notice received with the interview date of December 11, 2014.

November 10, 2014 - request to reschedule mailed out

December 5, 2014 - interview notice is sent out (email/text alert)

December 11, 2014 - received an interview letter in mail

January 10, 2015 - interview on Saturday at 7am

January 26, 2015 - sent the requested documentation

February 26, 2015 - oath letter is issued (email/text alert)

March 2, 2015 - oath letter is received

March 18, 2015 - oath at 8am

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

When I filed my wife's N-400 we sent every document the USCIS wanted...Bill, Bank accounts, my passport, front and back on green card, 3 years of tax returns, and a lot more. Last week we got a notice in the mail from USCIS that we need to bring more docs to the interview, not send them now. Now they want a copy of my wife's driver's license and her Thailand passport and "any other important documents", (exact words). Just what in the hell is "any other important documents?" We sent what they wanted and now they ask for passport, driver's license, and "important documents".

You know, I don't want to go on a rant, sort of speak, but I am fed-up with the whole system! When we filled out the N-400 and answered ALL of those questions about prison time, breaking the law etc..it really got me angry. Of-course all of her answers were "NO". As everyone here on VJ we do the process the legal and right way and pay thousands of dollars. But when I see our government letting in criminals, gang members, mostly likely terrorists and who know what other kind of people and give them a free green card and going letting them "go to the head of the line", it angers me. Not to mention they most likely get free health care and subsidies.... and no interviews. What has happened to our country???The government is watering down US Citizenship and making it "less valuable" by doing this!

We will be happy for my wife to get her Citizenship and we will cherish it...because we worked and did everything the right way. But always in the back of my mind is the 11,000,000 that get a lot for nothing. I realize they don't get citizenship, but it starts a pathway for them to get there.

Anyway, I am sorry for my rant...hope someone can tell me why more documents and if it a "normal thing", if anything anymore is normal.

Thanks Everyone,

Reach449

This is a vague request, but they're actually trying to help you. If there has been a new development since you filed the application or if there's something you forgot, they are trying to tell you being supporting documents, but they don't know what to ask for. For example, if you had a child they may want to see the birth certificate or if you were arrested they will want to see the court documents. Or if you forgot to tell them about a time you owed taxes, they'll want to see a payment plan. It's just a reminder to being anything else that may be important that they don't know about so they don't have to give you an RFE at the interview. If you don't have anything to take, then don't take anything. They'll ask for anything they need at the interview and they'll give you a month to provide it. Of course, it's frustrating when you're alread fed up with theong process. I understand how you feel. By the way, everyone gets asked to take their ID and passport to the interview.

On the other hand, I don't understand your complaint about the moral character questions at all. They need to ask those. Some of those questions disqualify you for citizenship and some do not. Some only cause a delay in natutalization. Wouldn't you want them to ask if people had a criminal past before naturalizying them? They don't know you, your wife, or me; we are just three out of millions of immigrants they process and those questions are not an insult; they are part of the process. Not everyone's answers are no. There are people who answer yes to those questions.

Also, l think you have some major misconceptions about what the president's executive order on deferred action actually does.

Best of luck in the interview. It sounds like you're well prepared and your wife will do fine. Don't get too stressed about it; the vast majority pass.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

This is a vague request, but they're actually trying to help you. If there has been a new development since you filed the application or if there's something you forgot, they are trying to tell you being supporting documents, but they don't know what to ask for. For example, if you had a child they may want to see the birth certificate or if you were arrested they will want to see the court documents. Or if you forgot to tell them about a time you owed taxes, they'll want to see a payment plan. It's just a reminder to being anything else that may be important that they don't know about so they don't have to give you an RFE at the interview. If you don't have anything to take, then don't take anything. They'll ask for anything they need at the interview and they'll give you a month to provide it. Of course, it's frustrating when you're alread fed up with theong process. I understand how you feel. By the way, everyone gets asked to take their ID and passport to the interview.

On the other hand, I don't understand your complaint about the moral character questions at all. They need to ask those. Some of those questions disqualify you for citizenship and some do not. Some only cause a delay in natutalization. Wouldn't you want them to ask if people had a criminal past before naturalizying them? They don't know you, your wife, or me; we are just three out of millions of immigrants they process and those questions are not an insult; they are part of the process. Not everyone's answers are no. There are people who answer yes to those questions.

Also, l think you have some major misconceptions about what the president's executive order on deferred action actually does.

Best of luck in the interview. It sounds like you're well prepared and your wife will do fine. Don't get too stressed about it; the vast majority pass.

Thanks for the information it was very helpful. I agree with you 100% about asking the moral questions; they need to be asked. BUT the government IS NOT asking whom I was talking about. There are many, many, cases of felons, gang members, coming over here to ILLEGALLY and eventually will get at least a green card thru the president's actions; in fact many are getting state Driver's licenses now...and many more will be part of POTUS Exec Action on immigration. And I don't have "misconceptions" about POTUS's policy on this. But never-the-less we all have our opinions and I might not agree, but I do respect yours.

Again, thanks a million for your info, especially about bringing driver's license and passport is normal. :-) I will also print the most current bank statements and mortgage statements for her interview.

Take care,

reach449

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

11/23/09-NOA 1

04/28/2015-OATH

Timeline

Thanks for the information it was very helpful. I agree with you 100% about asking the moral questions; they need to be asked. BUT the government IS NOT asking whom I was talking about. There are many, many, cases of felons, gang members, coming over here to ILLEGALLY and eventually will get at least a green card thru the president's actions; in fact many are getting state Driver's licenses now...and many more will be part of POTUS Exec Action on immigration. And I don't have "misconceptions" about POTUS's policy on this. But never-the-less we all have our opinions and I might not agree, but I do respect yours.

Again, thanks a million for your info, especially about bringing driver's license and passport is normal. :-) I will also print the most current bank statements and mortgage statements for her interview.

Take care,

reach449

Anyone who gets a green card will go through a background check. Anyone. Period. There's bo special natutalization process for illegal immigrants.

Yes, illegal immigrants can get dl in some states. That has nothing to do with green cards or deferred action. Yes, some of this benefiting fr deffered action will have criminal backgrounds, but deffered action does not equal a green card.

It's alright to disagree :-)

And I'm glad I helped on your other question.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Australia
Timeline

Reach449... Askingyou to bring those documents is def normal :) I think I have a very basic case, applied based on 5 year rule tho I am divorced from my USC. I was asked to bring my drivers license, green card and passport... All of which I brought with me, however all of which I placed on the table for the IO but the only time she touched them was to slide them back to me, the IO never opened up my passport at all.

As for documents, I brought everyyyythingggg that I submitted to USCIS when I did ROC and of course a copy of my N400 along with all the original copies of my support documentation (divorce decree, my birth certificate, tax transcripts) ... you just never know what the IO will ask for, and I wanted to be sure I could provide whatever it is they asked for instead of having them send me off with an RFE or something like that which could potentially cause a delay.

Plus I also think it helps the IO to see how organized one is when they bring a file and can confidently provide documents when and if asked :)

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

05/17/11... I-751 packet mailed to VSC... 05/18/11... I-751 packet received... 05/24/11... Check cashed... 05/26/11... NOA1 received (receipt date 05/19/11)... 06/25/11... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for 07/20)... 06/28/11... Early Walk-In for Biometrics (Durham NC)... 12/30/11... I-751 Petition Approved (called USCIS on 01/04 and was advised of approval)... 01/05/12... Card Production Ordered... 01/05/12... Approval Letter received... 01/XX/12... GC received in the mail... 04/08/14... 

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

05/09/14... Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule...10/08/14... N-400 packet sent via UPS to Texas (finally!)...10/10/14... N-400 packet received...10/16/14... Check cashed...10/20/14... NOA1 received (Priority Date 10/10/14)...10/31/14... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for 11/12/14)...11/12/14... Biometrics completed (Tampa FL)...11/13/14... Received yellow letter today (Dated 11/07/14)...11/14/14... In line for interview (e-notifications received at 12.36pm)...12/24/14... Interview scheduled (e-notifications received)...01/02/15... Interview letter received (Interview set for 02/03/15)...02/03/15... Interview completed Successfully!...02/11/15... In line for Oath! (e-notifications received at 7.00pm)...02/12/15... Oath scheduled & letter sent (e-notifications received at 1.30pm)...02/17/15... Oath letter received (Oath set for 02/23/15)...02/23/15... Oath Ceremony at 1pm in the Tampa Field Office... I'm officially a US Citizen!!

I-130 FOR MY PARENTS TIMELINE

11/14/16... I-130 packet for my parents sent via UPS to Phoenix

11/15/16... I-130 packet received (Priority Date)

11/18/16... Checks cashed, received emails and text messages at 5:22pm, cases routed to Texas Service Center

02/22/17... NOA2 for Mom received (Notice Date 02/15/17)

02/28/17... NOA2 for Dad received (Notice Date 02/17/17)

03/01/17... Status online shows application sent to NVC 

03/17/17... Received emails from NVC for next steps!

03/21/17... Went online to Choose an Agent

03/28/17... Received emails from NVC confirming Agent selection and to proceed with the next step (paying fees!)

04/05/17... Paid the $120 Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee online today (Also eligible to pay the $325 Fee but will wait before doing so...)

April-August... Took a break from the process in order to move back from USVI to mainland USA.

08/07/17... Paid the IV Fees for both my parents ($325 each) today

08/23/17... Called NVC because payment still showing "In Process", was advised to email proof of payment to have them manually correct it

08/24/17... CEAC website shows "Paid" and can now have parents' DS-260 forms filled in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I'm with Reach449 on this, last time me and my wife filed for her citizenship, we got back a RFE (Request for Evidence), even though we sent in everything we had, so I sent everything once again, she took her test and all, then got denied for breaking continuous residency. I'm sick of it all, sick of the ridiculous system, sick of not being able to fight back, sick of wasting money and now we have to start over and of course, we are still afraid we might get denied even though we haven't left the country in more than 3 years... it sure is nice not being able to see your family overseas.

N-400:

02/21/2015: N-400 sent via USPS Priority Mail to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

02/23/2015: N-400 received by USCIS

02/27/2015: Check cashed

03/03/2015: I-797C, Notice of Action received

03/26/2015: Fingerprints done!

08/24/2015: Notice of Action received, Interview letter!

09/28/2015: Interview day, PASSED! Oath Ceremony same day :)

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Timeline

I'm with Reach449 on this, last time me and my wife filed for her citizenship, we got back a RFE (Request for Evidence), even though we sent in everything we had, so I sent everything once again, she took her test and all, then got denied for breaking continuous residency. I'm sick of it all, sick of the ridiculous system, sick of not being able to fight back, sick of wasting money and now we have to start over and of course, we are still afraid we might get denied even though we haven't left the country in more than 3 years... it sure is nice not being able to see your family overseas.

You were denied the first time because your wife was out of the country for 11 months. The Naturalization Guide says that if you out of the country for between 6 to 12 months, USCIS may decide that you have broken continuous residency. It's true that they may have let the trip slide, but the continuous residency requirement is spelled out in the documents you were asked to read before applying.

Now, since your wife has been back for three years, there's no reason she should be denied based on continuous residency. Unless there's something else about the case that you haven't mentioned, there should be no reason at all for you to worry. The initial denial was not for a strange or unknown reason; it was due to the length of the trip abroad and it is something that does not apply this time around.

You say you are afraid that you might get denied... denied based on what exactly?

Timeline

Right, as I've said in my reply, we were denied for breaking continuous residency. Is that not the same thing you just posted about my case? :) I even told my wife we might have issues because of her long trip, my fault was not reading more into it. I was under the impression that if you spend that much time outside of the country, that they will just delay your case by the amount of time you were gone. I was obviously wrong. I should've done more research, then I would've seen that you can actually get denied citizenship for being gone that long. The RFE in our case was another delay that I did not expect, especially after all the organized and required documents I have sent in. I feel it's completely normal to feel afraid to file again, we don't have money growing on trees. :) Maybe USCIS thinks we do, but we do not. We were obviously crushed when we found out, especially after my wife was so stressed out about the Civics test and then ended up passing it with flying colors.

USCIS honestly should DELAY applicants after breaking residency, not DENY the original application and then start over. But someone has to finance them, right? We have nothing to hide, we have always been up front about everything, maybe even too honest sometimes, unlike others who carry on pretend relationships or pretend they are a gipsy in order to receive refugee status and GC. Trust me, I've seen and heard plenty.

N-400:

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Timeline

I understand why you were denied the first time. The reason I asked is because I don't understand why you think you might get denied this time. You currently meet the continuous residency requirement. So I don't see any reason why you should be worried.

Edited by JimmyHou

Timeline

Thank you :) Just looking to get some support, to re-build our confidence :) We are gathering the necessary documents as we speak, in order to re-file.

N-400:

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.