Jump to content


4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I have a quick question.

What paperwork do we file for work visa and green card. My fiancé came in on k1, and now I am wanting to apply for his work visa and green card. I am curious of which paperwork to fill out and what is the fee. I read somewhere that I only have to pay one fee which is 1070, but then when I looked at work visa its over 400 bucks.

Please help/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to get married first before the 90 day period expires. After that your fiance can apply for an adjustment of status. You can check the uscis website for the forms needed for the AOS, and that includes the work permit form. You have to pay $1070 for everything.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~Moved from K1 Progress to Fam.-based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS-associated processes, past K1~

(organizer hat off)

:guides: accessible at the top of the forum page. In particular, the K1 Flowchart, the K1/K2 AOS Guide, and the USCIS link on the Forms I-485 (and I-765 and I-131):




After your marriage you need to file your Adjustment of Status (AOS) as soon as possible, preferably before The I-94 expires. Follow the K1 Flowchart for details and other required steps, such as SSA. It is a general forum recommendation to concurrently file for the Employment Authorization Document/Advance Parole (EAD/AP) with your AOS. There are so many reasons that it just makes sense. It takes 60-90 days to get the EAD/AP. AOS (Green Card) interviews/interview waivers/approvals are all over the board, taking from several months to much longer. Additionally, if you concurrently file for AOS/EAD/AP there are no additional fees, $1070 for an adult. Check the USCIS link for details.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca


:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Employment Authorization Document(EAD) is not a visa. Visas are used to enter the US. You will not be applying for anymore visas at this point.

Print out your I-94 info > https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Follow this guide for getting the SSN > http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Follow this guide for AOS > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

The fees are listed here > http://www.uscis.gov/i-485

The fees for the I-765(EAD-work authorization) and I-131(AP-advance parole for travel) are waived when filed with a pending I-485, so include both of those too. It takes about 60-90 days to receive the EAD/AP combo card, which will allow you to work(along with an SSN) and re-enter the US when traveling abroad while waiting for the green card approval.

You need all the supporting documents for each form as well, so read the instructions for each one. You can also search here on VJ for what to include with each form if you get stumped. There are also example forms here on VJ you can look at when filling out the forms. They can be helpful.

Oh, and here are the details you need about whether or not you need to see a civil surgeon > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/428381-i-693-report-of-medical-examination-and-vaccination-report/?p=6206232

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.