mag2929

To the Canadian filers out there

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

this will be a bit of a "Woe is me" post, so if that bugs you please don't read. I know there are people in worse situations, but this is me, and right now I am not feeling too positive about all of this. Hence the post.

I've been looking at timelines of other Canadians out there, and it seems my wait for the NOA2, and the current wait for an NVC case # is a bit longer than others. I just want to see if I am wrong - is there anyone else with 8 or more months between the NOAs? Still waiting for case #? Why do people get approved in a couple of months versus others wait more than 6?

I know the NVC is not a fun experience for most, and I know some Canadians who are trapped with long NVC delivery waits, and I was somewhat happy today when I was told they did get my application in Dec, however, I got the 42 day wait spiel. Wouldn't take my emails. Should I just keep calling and calling and eventually someone will give me a case #?

I feel like my dream of finally moving by July may or may not happen. I guess I'm wondering what you guys think - is it realistic for me to think all this will get done by July so I can join my husband? We have been long-distance for four years, and it's really hard. I never expected to fall in love with an American and have to go through this, and I am not sure I anticipated how full of bumps this might be. We did get a lawyer who says my case is easy, but I'm not sure what that means anymore. I just feel dejected and was hoping for some advice from people who are removed from my inner emotional battle and can comment objectively.

Thanks so much!

M

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Canada regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

this will be a bit of a "Woe is me" post, so if that bugs you please don't read. I know there are people in worse situations, but this is me, and right now I am not feeling too positive about all of this. Hence the post.

I've been looking at timelines of other Canadians out there, and it seems my wait for the NOA2, and the current wait for an NVC case # is a bit longer than others. I just want to see if I am wrong - is there anyone else with 8 or more months between the NOAs? Still waiting for case #? Why do people get approved in a couple of months versus others wait more than 6?

I know the NVC is not a fun experience for most, and I know some Canadians who are trapped with long NVC delivery waits, and I was somewhat happy today when I was told they did get my application in Dec, however, I got the 42 day wait spiel. Wouldn't take my emails. Should I just keep calling and calling and eventually someone will give me a case #?

I feel like my dream of finally moving by July may or may not happen. I guess I'm wondering what you guys think - is it realistic for me to think all this will get done by July so I can join my husband? We have been long-distance for four years, and it's really hard. I never expected to fall in love with an American and have to go through this, and I am not sure I anticipated how full of bumps this might be. We did get a lawyer who says my case is easy, but I'm not sure what that means anymore. I just feel dejected and was hoping for some advice from people who are removed from my inner emotional battle and can comment objectively.

Thanks so much!

M

I'm not associated with Canada, but I have heard that depending on certain times of the year, the USCIS location that your petition was sent to, may have received numerous cases to be reviewed ahead of yours, and the holidays do not help either. Just try and stay positive. If everything is In order, your petition will be approved. Good Luck to you both.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't want to be harsh, so I'll try not to be. But you really just have to suck it up and get through it. We all did it or are in the middle of it. Each person feels as much frustration and desire to be with their loved one as you do. So everyone really and truly understands. You pointed out yourself that you were posting a bit of "woe is me" scenario but it really isn't all that bad. You've got to be strong and be patient and know that once this is all over, it will be such a small part of the rest of your life.

I am not pretending to know the pain of a long wait because I was very fortunate having completed the process in a relatively short amount of time compared to others. I was also able to see my husband and visit easily while waiting. So I was very much okay with whatever time it took. It was just as stressful because I didn't want to have f'd something up and find out about it in an RFE but it wasn't horrendous waiting to finally make the move. That is MY scenario. I had other big issues to deal with which made it hard for my particular situation but those were my woes and mine to deal with alone.

There are so many people who wait for such a long, long time and we can't pretend to know what THAT feels like. And I mean YEARS, not a matter of months. With that said, it doesn't diminish the pain you feel and the impatience and the helplessness because there is nothing in your control right now during this part of the process. So what you CAN control is your choice to suck it up and do what needs to be done to prepare for each step along the way. Be ready with anything they might ask for well ahead of time so that not a single delay can be blamed on you. Be ready to provide additional documents if they ask. Be ready to book a hotel for your interview and have your medical done. Is your package ready to go to NVC already?

Keep calling every day until you get your case number and then jump on the next steps. These are the things you CAN control if you choose to. Make sure you make it easy for whoever receives your case file. I am confident that is one of the reasons I got through so quickly. Whoever got my file was probably like "phew, this is an easy one" because it was laid out easily without any need for confusion. Nothing was missing. No errors were made. Every blank was filled in. They made an error and asked for something that they had already been given but instead of dwelling on it I just sent it again and the correction was made immediately.

The control you have at this point is to stay on top of your case and be ready for everything before they ask for it. This will give you the peace of mind you need to know you've done everything YOU can to get through it quickly. The rest is up to the folks on the other end so hope for a little good luck and hang on to the patience you have, whatever amount that may be.

You'll get through it and down the road you'll realize it really wasn't that bad. All that matters in the end is that you're with your loved one and enjoying your life together. There are way more years ahead of you than this one single one you have to get through to officially be together.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

I don't have anything to do with Canada either, but looking at your timeline, the reason you had 8 months between NOAs was because you got an RFE. The date of the RFE is right in line with the 5 months or so that Nebraska was processing, and then looks like you went back into line waiting for your RFE response to be reviewed. We were also at Nebraska and ours went through in 5 months, 5 days with no RFE

It took about 3 weeks for Nebraska to even send our case to the NVC, about 2 weeks before the NVC even acknowledged that they had received it, and another 4 weeks before we got our case number.

With the holidays, it'll probably be another few weeks before you'll get your case number. I know it sucks, but it will come and you'll be moving before you know it. We just kept calling every couple days, and then surprise, we had a number. :)

Good luck!!!

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Timeline

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the supportive comments. Again, I realize this is a bit of "poor me" and I usually hate that but my husband just left this morning, and I won't see him till June and it just all came crashing down. oh and I have a horrible cold that's making me even whinier. I really love this site and I appreciate the support!! I only hope I can reciprocate to others once it's all done.

Best

M

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't want to be harsh, so I'll try not to be. But you really just have to suck it up and get through it. We all did it or are in the middle of it. Each person feels as much frustration and desire to be with their loved one as you do. So everyone really and truly understands. You pointed out yourself that you were posting a bit of "woe is me" scenario but it really isn't all that bad. You've got to be strong and be patient and know that once this is all over, it will be such a small part of the rest of your life.

I am not pretending to know the pain of a long wait because I was very fortunate having completed the process in a relatively short amount of time compared to others. I was also able to see my husband and visit easily while waiting. So I was very much okay with whatever time it took. It was just as stressful because I didn't want to have f'd something up and find out about it in an RFE but it wasn't horrendous waiting to finally make the move. That is MY scenario. I had other big issues to deal with which made it hard for my particular situation but those were my woes and mine to deal with alone.

There are so many people who wait for such a long, long time and we can't pretend to know what THAT feels like. And I mean YEARS, not a matter of months. With that said, it doesn't diminish the pain you feel and the impatience and the helplessness because there is nothing in your control right now during this part of the process. So what you CAN control is your choice to suck it up and do what needs to be done to prepare for each step along the way. Be ready with anything they might ask for well ahead of time so that not a single delay can be blamed on you. Be ready to provide additional documents if they ask. Be ready to book a hotel for your interview and have your medical done. Is your package ready to go to NVC already?

Keep calling every day until you get your case number and then jump on the next steps. These are the things you CAN control if you choose to. Make sure you make it easy for whoever receives your case file. I am confident that is one of the reasons I got through so quickly. Whoever got my file was probably like "phew, this is an easy one" because it was laid out easily without any need for confusion. Nothing was missing. No errors were made. Every blank was filled in. They made an error and asked for something that they had already been given but instead of dwelling on it I just sent it again and the correction was made immediately.

The control you have at this point is to stay on top of your case and be ready for everything before they ask for it. This will give you the peace of mind you need to know you've done everything YOU can to get through it quickly. The rest is up to the folks on the other end so hope for a little good luck and hang on to the patience you have, whatever amount that may be.

You'll get through it and down the road you'll realize it really wasn't that bad. All that matters in the end is that you're with your loved one and enjoying your life together. There are way more years ahead of you than this one single one you have to get through to officially be together.

Wow. I can't add a thing to this. Everything this poster said echoed in my mind. All I can say is echoing the previous post. If you feel something is wrong, keep calling. Be prepared for every step and be proactive. Everybody's case is unique. Do what you can to control yours and be ready for what is to come.

Good luck! :)

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

Thanks so much!

M

I feel your pain....I am at NVC right now. I called them 30 days after and got my case # then I filled out the DS261 and pay AOS fee....The website shows to pay IV fee but I am unable to do so apparently I have to wait for the IV voice which wasn't rec'd as yet. I plan on calling then on Friday since its a been a month now since i filled out the DS261... January 10 will be 3 month since my approval / NOA2

Timeline

Getting your NOA2 will take a while. I am Canadian. This will be our 2nd Anniversary in separte countries on Jan 11th. We filed our papers in April 29, 2013. Got our NOA on May 2, 2013. Got our NOA2 on March 25, 2014 (11 months later) and this whole process of 22 months later and I am still waiting for NVC to pass me over to the Montreal Consulate. AOS, Civil Docs, DS-260, all sent & Fees all paid since the 1st week of June 2014. They have lost our paperwork 4 times since with a receipt from the courier that they have infact got the paperwork. Each time we re-sent all the paperwork it added another 60 days each time for review. Still nothing. We have a senator involved now and amazingly they admit they have all the papers now. All 4 sets of them but now we still sit yet another 60 days for review. It is a long & frustrating journey. As all have told me, sit tight and be patient. It will happen.

Looking at your timeline (and thank you for filling it out), the hardest part is over!! The wait for the NOA2 is some of the hardest, because there is nothing you can do but wait..... at least at the NVC stage there are milestones (case rec'd, case #, fees invoiced, send ppwk, etc....) and while there might be 2-6 weeks in between these milestones, you just finished 8-ish months of doing nothing!!

I'm still waiting for my NOA2 (any day now!!)..... I'm a bit of a research nut, so in the 4.5 months we have been waiting I have read, re-read more than a few times, what to expect at the NVC stage and what is needed.... and have our files scanned and ready to go the moment they give us the green light....

On the bright side, there have been some recent changes - like being able to send the civil documents and AOS paperwork all at once, and we can email all the documents (electronic processing), so really from the NOA2 to the Case Complete could realistically be 4-5 months (with no checklists).....

Saying goodbye for another long stretch always makes it feel so much harder. I got to spend 2.5 weeks with my husband through the holidays and saying see you later ('cause we won't say goodbye) was especially hard to do......

Hang in there!! We will get through this!!

Best wishes!!

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Timeline

Hang in there! It took ten months for our NOA 2 and then NVC became delayed, 60 day wait to find out we made an error, another 60 days later and then everything came flying! Almost two whole years but we're finally approved. We've been LD for five years, I know how much it sucks!

Married: October 23, 2012
Sent I-130: March 4, 2013
NOA 1: March 6, 2013
Case Touched: April 5, 2013
Case transferred to 'local office': November 7, 2013
Case transferred to USCIS office: November 8, 2013

Hardcopy notification that case is at Nebraska office: November 15, 2013

NOA 2: January 23rd, 2014 (email notification)

Case shipped to NVC: January 24th, 2014

NVC received case: February 6, 2014

USCIS admitted to creating two case numbers for us and giving us the wrong one: March 20, 2014

USCIS faxed RFE to us: March 20, 2014

Submitted requested forms three days before deadline: March 23, 2014

NVC Ready for our case: May 27, 2014

NVC allowing us submit all forms and pay fees: July 27, 2014

Notice sponsor made error on I-864: September 27, 2014

Resubmitted sponsor I-864: September 28, 2014

Scan date: September 30, 2014

Notice of NVC processing delay: October 18, 20, and 21, 2014 (we got three)

CASE COMPLETE: December 2, 2014

medical: December 18, 2014

interview: January 5, 2015

Timeline

Hang in there! It took ten months for our NOA 2 and then NVC became delayed, 60 day wait to find out we made an error, another 60 days later and then everything came flying! Almost two whole years but we're finally approved. We've been LD for five years, I know how much it sucks!

Congrats on the approval!!!!! I have seen your posts before and I thought how patient you guys are with this process. I am super happy for you both!! Thank you for the kind words, I've been overwhelmed with the support and level-headed advice.

Best

M

Timeline

Looking at your timeline (and thank you for filling it out), the hardest part is over!! The wait for the NOA2 is some of the hardest, because there is nothing you can do but wait..... at least at the NVC stage there are milestones (case rec'd, case #, fees invoiced, send ppwk, etc....) and while there might be 2-6 weeks in between these milestones, you just finished 8-ish months of doing nothing!!

I'm still waiting for my NOA2 (any day now!!)..... I'm a bit of a research nut, so in the 4.5 months we have been waiting I have read, re-read more than a few times, what to expect at the NVC stage and what is needed.... and have our files scanned and ready to go the moment they give us the green light....

On the bright side, there have been some recent changes - like being able to send the civil documents and AOS paperwork all at once, and we can email all the documents (electronic processing), so really from the NOA2 to the Case Complete could realistically be 4-5 months (with no checklists).....

Saying goodbye for another long stretch always makes it feel so much harder. I got to spend 2.5 weeks with my husband through the holidays and saying see you later ('cause we won't say goodbye) was especially hard to do......

Hang in there!! We will get through this!!

Best wishes!!

Thank you so much for the wonderful response!! I appreciate the positivity. I hope that NOA2 comes soon for you! And yes, I agree that true love exists, that is the ONLY explanation I can imagine that would make us crazy enough to go through this process;)

All the great responses and support have gotten me through the down point and have redirected my efforts to moving forwards, regardless of what happen for what hiccups I come upon.

Best

M

Timeline

I looked at the NVC processing times spreadsheet and compared the average of 2014 and the current open cases. We don't have a lot of data from December approvals but we do see some consistencies between the current cases and 2014 (you need to click on the graph, it came out small

Edited by Rob L

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Timeline

I looked at the NVC processing times spreadsheet and compared the average of 2014 and the current open cases. We don't have a lot of data from December approvals but we do see some consistencies between the current cases and 2014 (you need to click on the graph, it came out small

attachicon.gifPresentation1.jpg

Cool, thanks for that. Is the y axis the number of days?

Best

M

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.