mom092511

Please help me with my situation

33 posts in this topic

As long as you meet the requirements in the 5 years preceding your application. If you don't meet the requirements in 2011-2016, you can wait until 2017, but then you have to meet the requirements in 2012-2017... 2011 will no longer count.

Also, if you live abroad for too long, you can lose your green card altogether.

Thank you soooo much!! That's exactly what i wanted to know. Can i still apply the 3 year rule like for examplein my case, i had my greencard jan 2013, if i could not meet my requirements until oct of 2015, can i start from 2014-2017? :) thank you for accommodating my uncertainties. :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you soooo much!! That's exactly what i wanted to know. Can i still apply the 3 year rule like for examplein my case, i had my greencard jan 2013, if i could not meet my requirements until oct of 2015, can i start from 2014-2017? :) thank you for accommodating my uncertainties. :)

I stated Oct 2015 because of the 90 day early application. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes that works provided you meet all other requirements, but remember that you must meet the continuous residence requirement as well as the physical presence requirement. If you are determined to have stopped living in the US, the you will fail the continuous residence requirement.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Yes that works provided you meet all other requirements, but remember that you must meet the continuous residence requirement as well as the physical presence requirement. If you are determined to have stopped living in the US, the you will fail the continuous residence requirement.

Thank you sooo much. You have given me the best answer. That's just what I wanted to know. I guess I wont be needing any legal advice anymore since I can easily extend my application when I could meet all the requirements. I really thought i was only allowed to apply for naturalization either 2016 ( 3 year rule) or 2018 ( 5 year) and thats it. I thought I'd lose my chance. But since you said I could adjust my time, given that I meet all the requirements anytime, then, I think that's about it. I'll give my shot on 2017. :) Thank you once again. :)

Timeline

Thank you sooo much. You have given me the best answer. That's just what I wanted to know. I guess I wont be needing any legal advice anymore since I can easily extend my application when I could meet all the requirements. I really thought i was only allowed to apply for naturalization either 2016 ( 3 year rule) or 2018 ( 5 year) and thats it. I thought I'd lose my chance. But since you said I could adjust my time, given that I meet all the requirements anytime, then, I think that's about it. I'll give my shot on 2017. :) Thank you once again. :)

Just don't lose your residency in the meantime... if you're not living in the US, they'll take away your green card eventually, and you won't be able to apply under any sort of rule!

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Just don't lose your residency in the meantime... if you're not living in the US, they'll take away your green card eventually, and you won't be able to apply under any sort of rule!

Thank you for the reminder. Right now I am still here in the US, my husband is leaving for deployment in August so the family might go back to the Philippines in July until he gets back from deployment. But I will make sure to meet the continuous residence, i'll probably gonna go back to the US for like 2 or 3 times within 7 months.

Timeline

Thank you for the reminder. Right now I am still here in the US, my husband is leaving for deployment in August so the family might go back to the Philippines in July until he gets back from deployment. But I will make sure to meet the continuous residence, i'll probably gonna go back to the US for like 2 or 3 times within 7 months.

That's good, but it's also important that you're not just coming here as a visitor... you need to maintain ties to the US, like a house, bills, car, taxes, etc...

basically it has to be very clear that you are living in the US and just overseas temporarily and not living overseas and in the US temporarily.

That's good, but it's also important that you're not just coming here as a visitor... you need to maintain ties to the US, like a house, bills, car, taxes, etc...

basically it has to be very clear that you are living in the US and just overseas temporarily and not living overseas and in the US temporarily.

We have a house in Whidbey Island, Wa that we have been renting out since we are stationed here in hawaii, i also have a car that's under my name and my husband's, I am unemployed right now because my husband and I decided that I should be fully hands on to our 2 kids (2.5 years old and 1 year old) but we are still filing federal income tax (joint) for the last 4 years that we're married. I hope thats enough proof that I am not staying here a a visitor. :)

Your whole text is confusing and basicaly not to read. Make table and list all dates you were in and out of the US so we can have a clear look.

Days in the US.

Jan 10, 2013 - April 10, 2013- 90 days

July 18, 2013 - July 29, 2013- 10 days

Aug 20, 2013- August 21, 2013- 1 day

Aug 5, 2014- August 6, 2014- 1 day

Nov 22, 2014- Present- 60 days

Total as of today: 162 days

Days outside US:

April 11,2013- July 17, 2013- 97 days

July 30, 2013- August 19, 2013- 20 days

August 22, 2013- August 4, 2014- 347 days

August 7, 2014 -November 21, 2014- 106 days

Total: 570

Hi JimmyHou. Based on my timeline, can you give me any idea when is the earliest I can apply? I really wanna start with my Nov 22, 2014 arrival in the US. Please enlighten me :)

We have a house in Whidbey Island, Wa that we have been renting out since we are stationed here in hawaii, i also have a car that's under my name and my husband's, I am unemployed right now because my husband and I decided that I should be fully hands on to our 2 kids (2.5 years old and 1 year old) but we are still filing federal income tax (joint) for the last 4 years that we're married. I hope thats enough proof that I am not staying here a a visitor. :)

Here are the dates I was in and out of the country. Please guide me as to when i can apply starting my application from Nov 2014.. :)

Days in the US.

Days outside US:

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Your whole text is confusing and basicaly not to read. Make table and list all dates you were in and out of the US so we can have a clear look.

I'm quite a decent reader and yet despite two attempts to read the wall of text I was unable to make it past the 50% point. I agree that paragraphs are very helpful.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You can't apply under three year rule. Even if you stay the total of 365 days in the US in 2015, it is not adding up to the 50% you have physically to stay in the U.S.

Here are the dates I was in and out of the country. Please guide me as to when i can apply starting my application from Nov 2014.. :)

Days in the US.

Days outside US:

I think an IO would look at those dates and see that you have been living outside of the US for the last 2 years with a few vacations to the US. In order to apply for naturalization you must be physically present in the U.S. for eighteen months within the three year period before applying in the case of qualified spouses of U.S. citizens and 30 months if applying under the 5 year rule. I would also pray that the IO doesn't consider your LPR status abandoned as from July 30, 2013 to November 22, 2014 you had continuous residence outside of the US except for 2 days on US soil.

05/01 - Married USC

06/01 - Filed I-130/I-485

01/03 - Conditional LPR approved

05/05 - Conditions removed

12/13 - Divorced USC

10/10/14 - Filed N-400 based on 5+yrs LPR

10/24/14 - NOA

11/12/14 - Fingerprinted

11/14/14 - In line e-notification

12/01/14 - E-notification of interview scheduled

12/05/14 - Received interview letter - Interview scheduled for January 8th.

01/08/15 - Passed citizenship interview and recommended for approval!

01/19/15 - In line for oath ceremony

02/19/15 - Oath scheduled for March 6th, 2015!

03/06/15 - Became a US citizen! :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.