Kim and Jermaine

Digicel phones and credit

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

When my fiancè travels from Jamaica to his POE and then on to the final destination can he use his Digicel phone and remaining credit in the States? Im just curious if he can use that phone to call me in case of a delay when traveling or if he will need another way to call.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

If he has a quad world type phone ( any smart phone should do) he will be able to use it. He will for sure be in roaming and the charges will be quite high, but for the emergencies he will be able to use the phone to call or txt.

Not sure if the phone will work as noted above. However, if your fiancé does not yet have Whatsapp on his phone, tell him to download it immediately. Free texting app and he can use it on wifi. So, in the case he can't use his credit on the phone, he can send you a message via whatsapp. Pretty sure Atlanta International had free wifi -assuming this is his port of entry. Oh... You will need to have the app also.

Be Sober, Be Vigilant!

Timeline

Yes we use whats app. I doubt he will come thru Atlanta. I believe most if not all airports have free WiFi. Good idea thanks

Timeline

I have never been able to correctly get signed into airport wifi. Always have to use my phone data...maybe its just me, but have a back up plan just in case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The wifi usually cost. If he has enough credit then when he reach he change his phone settings to roam then it will use one of the available networks and you can text/call. However it is cheaper to text. If you call it cost ALOT.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Nope Digicel will not work. However, majority of international airports have free Wi-Fi. It depends on where he POE's.

That's how I usually use my cellphone when I travel if I need to keep in contact. I Roam. Digicel even had a roaming plan. If they haven't change that plan.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

He can purchase the digicel roaming plan just in case there are no free wifi spots available for him to connect. I've personally used my digicel sim card both in Miami and in Atlanta (having just the regular data plan) so I guess it just depends on where his POE is. Digicel usually connects to either AT&T or T-Mobile cell towers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.