Technicalglitch

Flunked Biometrics - have questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I got a letter today that said I flunked the fingerprint portion of my biometrics appointment. (This annoys me as I saw it rejecting my prints while I was there - some of them went through, why didn't he just try the flunking fingers again while I was there?) I have been rebooked to go again on Dec. 22. I doubt this appointment will go any better as my fingers are what they are.

Two questions:

1) I have seen on the forum that some people go in early for their biometrics appointment - do I just take the letter and go in randomly whenever I want, like tomorrow? Does this always work, or do they sometimes send you away? Is there any risk in trying? Do I have to wait until closer to the appointment time to try, or just try anytime?

2) Does this delay my application for advance parole, or is that separate? I'm hoping to go home to Canada around the holidays, partly to do a work contract if I can (especially since I can't work here yet). Will the need to re-do the biometrics delay my AP, or is it possible that that is ticking along on it's own schedule? If it's going to delay it I'd just like to know, so I can advise my employer that I won't be able to do a contract I have asked for.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me with this!

1. You can try walk-ins if you have the letter and some excuses. The worst scenario is they don't allow you to do then you have wait. You need to kill some time to so it is not that bad. Don't use hand lotion, germX... before you go to your biometrics. If your second result is still bad, you will need to do police certificate.

2. Biometrics is very first step, so if they can't clear your background, I believe it will halt everything else. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Not having your biometrics done successfully will delay your application since they won't process anything unless they verify your identity.

I suggest you try the early walk in for biometrics at the end of the week (Wed soonest) in the afternoon. once they're almost done for the day and for the week they are more likely to squeeze you in.

Also in order to have a better chance of them letting you do them early is to keep a humble attitude like: i know i'm scheduled for later on. But if there is any chance at all you could squeeze me in anytime before that you'd rly be helping me out a lot.

I was refused the first time i tried cos of timing and attitude. I tried 2 days later, same security guard he lef me in. So it's all about how u approach the situation! Best of luck!

I-751 ROC Timeline
Sun, 11/27/2016 - 90 days before Green Card expiration on 2/25/2016
Tue, 11/29/2016 8:30 AM - Mailed out I-751 ROC petition to USCIS California Service Center
Wed, 11/30/2016 11:40 AM - USCIS California Service Center signed for receipt of petition
Fri, 12/2/2016 - Check cashed by the USCIS California Service Center per our online banking account
Sat, 12/3/2016 - Received NOA (one-year conditional resident status extension) in the mail with receipt date and time of 11/30/2016 at 19:29 (7:29 pm)
Fri, 12/9/2016 - Received biometrics appointment letter dated 12/3/2016 with appointment scheduled for 12/23/2016

Wed, 12/14/2016 2:14 PM - Successful early walk-in for my biometrics at the Santa Ana USCIS

Thu, 05/03/2018 - My ROC case was transferred from CSC to NBC

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Mon, 11/27/2017 8:00 AM - Submitted online application for Naturalization: Form N-400, supporting evidence & credit card payment

Tue, 11/28/2017 3:07 AM - NOA confirmation of application receipt was uploaded to my online USCIS account. Processing time for naturalization to be 10 months (to be completed September 2018)

Sat, 12/02/2017 3:06 AM - Received notification that my biometrics appointment was scheduled but the document showing the date and time has not yet been uploaded

Tue, 12/05/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Letter was uploaded to my USCIS account. Scheduled for 12/22/2017 at 8:00 am at USCIS Tustin

Tue, 12/05/2017 2:00 PM - Early walk-in biometrics completed at USCIS Tustin

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview - Approved

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Oath Ceremony

Passport Processing Timeline

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Passport Application at Irvine Passport Acceptance Facility

Fri, 08/31/2018 - Received notification via email that passport is being processed

Mon, 09/04/2018 - Check for $110.00 to US Department of State for passport application was cashed

Mon, 09/17/2018 - Passport received via USPS

Thu, 09/20/2018 - Naturalization certificate returned via USPS

Timeline

Biometrics are not needed for AP, but it will delay EAD, AOS. Make sure all fingers are in green before you leave.

Will they issue AP without the EAD? I thought those came together now. It's only the AP I need as I can do contract work back home to support myself, IF I can leave the country for a few weeks to go do it.

I mentioned to the guy that some of my fingers were failing, but he didn't seem to care so I didn't worry about it. I guess he was just going by the book, trying each one twice and if I fail, oh well, not his problem. It's such a waste of time though if the only remedy is to have me go back and try again, they might as well have just tried harder that same day, it wasn't crowded at all.

Edited by Technicalglitch

Will they issue AP without the EAD? I thought those came together now. It's only the AP I need as I can do contract work back home to support myself, IF I can leave the country for a few weeks to go do it.

I mentioned to the guy that some of my fingers were failing, but he didn't seem to care so I didn't worry about it. I guess he was just going by the book, trying each one twice and if I fail, oh well, not his problem. It's such a waste of time though if the only remedy is to have me go back and try again, they might as well have just tried harder that same day, it wasn't crowded at all.

Not gonna happen. Sorry.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Each application is treated individually. AP approval actually is a letter, until recently it became a combo card. If after the 90 days, your AP should be approved.

However, let's address the elephant in the room. How long are you talking about doing contract work outside of the US? Even if your AP is approved, it is not a guarantee to be readmitted into the US. If you leave prior to receiving AP, your AOS is considered abandoned.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

Each application is treated individually. AP approval actually is a letter, until recently it became a combo card. If after the 90 days, your AP should be approved.

However, let's address the elephant in the room. How long are you talking about doing contract work outside of the US? Even if your AP is approved, it is not a guarantee to be readmitted into the US. If you leave prior to receiving AP, your AOS is considered abandoned.

I won't leave until I have AP, I know not to do that. My contracts are generally 6 weeks long, plus I will visit a bit longer than that. I've researched, it doesn't break any rules to do that. I'm used to being given a hard time at the border by now, that's routine. I've never heard of anyone actually not being allowed to come back after leaving the country for a reasonable reason (with AP), and earning money to live is a pretty good reason, I can't get a comparable job here.

If America doesn't want me and refuses me back in if I leave to do a work contract, then my husband will just have to move to Canada. That's our deal. We're pretty sure America won't be quite that silly about it, even if they puff and posture about it (for no good reason, at that).

Anyway, I showed up for biometrics today and was done again, no questions asked, no hassles, even though my appointment is still 10 days away. They used a different technique this time for finger prep, so hopefully that will make a difference. They were doing it for everyone, so maybe they had had a lot of prints rejected from that centre.

Edited by Technicalglitch

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.