melissa89

Problematic come back to States

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I was(am?) and owner of green card granted in 2007. It is still valid until 2017. I obtained it by my mom that got married to US citizen. In 2009 I have left US and never came back. I understand that in legal termas I've abandoned my status. My mom became a citizen while I was out of the US. Now after finishing my Masters degree I'm thinking to come back to States. I understand that my mom would need to apply for me again to regain my LPR. It would take years.

I know that it can be possible for me to get a tourist visa to visit. They are also opportunities of getting student visa/working visa.

I've read many many different opinions about if on airports they swipe your GCs while exiting. I honestly don't remember having that happen to me while i left the US those few years ago. If attempting to reenter on my current GC (technically valid till 2017) land border from Canada on a busy day with two American citizens in vehicle what can happen? Would it be possible to go through? Do they swipe cards as well? I understand that probably after that I wouldn't be able to obtain my citizenship. (Maybe after 5-10 years when my previous exits/entry dates will be looong gone?) Aall this knowledge about exits dates are pretty blurry to me. People say they didn't come back to US for years and they come back without a problem even via planes!

I'm getting frustrated and desperate on the whole situation but oh well - you have to pay for ones mistakes :(

Also - what would be the quickest way to get to US and stay on legal terms?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You state that you understand that you abondoned status , then you should not look for coaching on how to sneak in. You mother needs to reapply for you and you wait for 10 years until a visa is available or the laws change. Even if you sneak in you are basically an illegal ( having a green card that you abandoned does not give extra privilages in border jumping )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Never had my GC swiped when exiting.

I have always been asked how long I have been gone when entering despite being certain they have the info on the screen.

If you blag it and fail then they will probably ask you to officially relinquish your status. You can refuse. They can detain you pending a hearing but more likely would parole you in.

Certainly would come up if you got in and down the line sought naturalisation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.