little immigrant

Quick question about traveling with GC

7 posts in this topic

So I've been in the US for about 3 years now. I got my 10 year GC. Now my step dad died and my mom really wants me back in Germany for a few weeks.

I will have my German passport and my GC. Is this all I need?

What do I need to keep in mind? I know when I came to the US with a tourist visa I had to fill out ESTA. Do I need to do this coming back with a GC?

Also when I come back, which line will I be in? US Citizen/permanent resident? Is there such a thing? Because obviously I'm not a visitor. What are they going to ask me? Could there be any trouble? If yes what?

Please let me know if I'm missing something. This is my first time traveling since I got my GC. It all happened way too sudden. I wasn't planning on traveling now. My mind isn't quite there yet. My step dad was only 49. :(

Thanks,

Andrea

Don't worry about any of these things. You won't have problems coming and yea, your passport (german) and free card is all what you need. All the other things you are concerned with are trivial. I am not sure about ESTA but the airline will tell you what you need. Regardless what line you enter through, it may take same amount of time depending on how many flight lades around that time :-).

Just do to your step dads funeral. May God rest his soul I peace. You can leave and come back with peace in your mind too.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

All you need to travel is your passport and green card. You do not need esta.

When you return you go in the line for permanent residents not the visitor line. You won't have issues. Just declare anything you need to.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I got back last Friday. I almost missed my flight because boarding wasn't announced over the monitor nor via speaker. I was pretty stressed.

When I got to Atlanta, I verified my GC via those automated machines. I took the receipt slip and took it to the officer. He OKed it, stamped my German passport and told me "Welcome back".

When I went through customs however, the guy looked at my slip and my passport and told me to grab a blue folder because the previous officer supposedly forgot to stamp something. So I'm going over there and wait for a bit. Then I get called up by the next officer. I showed him my GC since the previous guy didn't ask for it. He said: "Oh I was missing that one". Then he asked me all kinds of questions like: Why was I in Germany? How long was I there? Where in the US do I live? Where do I work? How did I obtain my visa? What does my husband do? How did we meet? - It was all very stressful already. Then he completely searched my bag. Not to mention he didn't stamp anything afterwards.

I wonder if I showed the custom officer my GC would I have had to grab the blue folder? Was it because it was the first time I traveled is why they asked me so many questions? I would like to visit my mom again soon and I do not look forward to this whole procedure again. Although I understand the officers need to ask those questions but still. I'm tempted to wait until I get my citizenship before I ever leave the country again haha

Edited by danda226

It was because you showed the customs guy your passport instead of your green card that you had issues. Next time just show your green card right away.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.