Maalin

Tourist Visa after cancelled K1

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Sadly, me and my fiance did not work out the way we wanted to and I'm in the process of cancelling the visa. It does not look like that'll be a problem, I just have to write and original letter and document, signed, that says we're cancelling it.

Here's what I foresee is to be an issue; I still have some really good friends in USA, one of who would like that I come to his mother's wedding. Is this even possible or are they going to say no right away? What are my chances?

Update your ESTA to see if you are approved or not.

You are cancelling K1 visa, not being denied visa by the US consulate.

If you have never overstay of VWP, then you should be able to continue to use VWP for travelling.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

We were getting approved, but we needed an addition, a co-sponsor that was going to be one of his parents but things changed after my interview and we never got that far and I haven't gotten around to cancelling the K1 yet. So yeah, we were almost approved with the exception of the co-sponsor.

So you think it being cancelled won't matter for just traveling now and then to visit friends?

I don't think you'll have any issues at all with the VWP. However if you were to apply for a tourist visa and be denied, then you will have VWP issues, at least for a while. Best to try the VWP first.

Ok, K1 visa is never issued.

US citizen should formally write in to USCIS, US consulate to cancel the I-129F, that both of you are no longer pursue K1 visa.

You will still be able to visit as a tourist using the VWP.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Timeline

Sounds like you got as far as the visa interview and then didn't follow through with the request for additional information. Am I reading that right? If so, an immigration officer might well think that you were trying to get around having to submit the additional information or that things went wrong some other way and that you are using this as your your means of immigrating to the US. Not saying that's what you're doing....but you asked what they could be suspicious about.

Timeline

You're right, I was asking about that! The letters are in the mail though and I'm hoping to get some answers about the letters arriving after Christmas so I can book my tickets. Hopefully they realize that Idaho and Chicago is at the opposite ends of the country and that the people I am meeting has no relation what so ever to my former fiance. I'm sure they will take me aside though, and I just want to be honest and meet my friends and go to that wedding.

Filed: Timeline

Did you keep copies of the letters? If so, and you don't get an answer prior to needing to travel for the wedding, would be good to carry the copies with you. And, did you send copies to the visa section at the Embassy? I would recommend that, too, as they can then note it in their system, which immigration officers can see at the POE. would also help show your prior intent. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

...and I haven't gotten around to cancelling the K1 yet...

If you were the beneficiary of the K-1, you yourself, cannot cancel the K-1, the petitioner has to.

Timeline

Copies of the letters, good idea. I have sent a letter myself and my ex is working on his part. He scanned a signed letter for me but they wanted it sent from him originally so now that's being worked on.

Thanks guys <3

Timeline

Another question: I bought my tickets and I know I have to register in the Visa Wavier program, but should I wait with that until I know my ex's letter has arrived at the Embassy or not?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Another question: I bought my tickets and I know I have to register in the Visa Wavier program, but should I wait with that until I know my ex's letter has arrived at the Embassy or not?

I would definitely wait until you know the K-1 has been cancelled.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.