demelat

asylee and citiznship

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

IS IT TRUE!!!!!??????? You can naturalize four years after the USCIS granted you permanent residence. You may submit your application 90 days before that date. The error on your permanent resident card shouldn't be a problem.Because you qualified for permanent residence based on your status as an asylee

Edited by demelat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

IS IT TRUE!!!!!??????? You can naturalize four years after the USCIS granted you permanent residence. You may submit your application 90 days before that date. The error on your permanent resident card shouldn't be a problem.Because you qualified for permanent residence based on your status as an asylee

Yes, as an asylee, you can apply after 4 years because the first year as an asylee counts towards your time as a permanent resident.

The error on the green card should have been corrected (for free) when it was received; it's unfortunate that you didn't do this. As an asylee, the Resident Since date should have been predated by one year.

USCIS should accept your application, but if you get an officer who is unaware of the regulations, you may have a problem or your application may be returned as soon as they accept it. As per the advice below, you need to include a letter explaining the situation.

Here's some advice from a legal question and answer post (note that this is not official information from USCIS)

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/asylum-seekers-naturalize-4-yrs-united-states-article-1.197452

Q: The government granted me asylum. When I eventually became a permanent resident, the date on my green card was wrong. Will that be a problem when I apply to become a U.S. citizen?

I became a permanent resident based on being an asylee. I read that asylees' green cards should be backdated one year, but mine has the date the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services approved my permanent residence application. Twice, I applied for a new card, but both times USCIS rejected my claim. Will I lose a year in qualifying for naturalization?

Name Withheld, New York

A: You can naturalize four years after the USCIS granted you permanent residence. You may submit your application 90 days before that date. The error on your permanent resident card shouldn't be a problem.

Because you qualified for permanent residence based on your status as an asylee, the USCIS should have backdated your permanent residence card one year from the date it approved this application to adjust status to permanent resident. For refugees, the USCIS backdates the approval to the refugee's date of entry into the U.S. in refugee status. Sometimes, a permanent resident card for an asylee or refugee has a wrong approval date. Nevertheless, you can apply for naturalization one year earlier than most other applicants. Because the date on the card is wrong, you should include a letter with your naturalization to bring the error to the attention of your naturalization examiner. If you have copies of the notices granting you asylum and permanent residence, include them as well.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

• 2 years later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

@Demlet so what happened to your case, did you write a letter to USCIS? i am in same situation, my case was approved in Oct 2012 but my green card was not back dated accordingly. Can you tell if you wrote a letter to USCIS and what was the outcome? Thanks

• 3 years later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 10/23/2017 at 11:04 PM, drxak292 said:

@Demlet so what happened to your case, did you write a letter to USCIS? i am in same situation, my case was approved in Oct 2012 but my green card was not back dated accordingly. Can you tell if you wrote a letter to USCIS and what was the outcome? Thanks

hi. im in the same situation. do you have an update about card not being backdated and applying for n400? TY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
30 minutes ago, yariii said:

hi. im in the same situation. do you have an update about card not being backdated and applying for n400? TY

OP has not logged into the site for 3 years.  this thread is over 6 years old.

please start a new thread for your questions.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.