InesD

I-134, is rental income accepted as extra income ?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Hi ! Quick questions : my fiances' ( petitioner ) income from his job alone wouldn't meet the 125 % of poverty guideline. But we own 3 houses ( both our names on warranty deeds ) , in one we live, one is rented and the other will be rented out next year when ready. He does have the rental agreement with the monthly rental amount on it and it actually is our extra income and including that to his job payment he would meet the 125 %. So, can anyone tell me, if assets such as houses and rental income would be added to the actual income ? We purchased the 2 homes for rental this year so nothing is shown on my fiances' last tax return.

Also : in case we would have to use a co sponsor, do both , my fiance and the co sponsor have to fill in my and my daughters name on their I-134 ?

Thank you :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi ! Quick questions : my fiances' ( petitioner ) income from his job alone wouldn't meet the 125 % of poverty guideline. But we own 3 houses ( both our names on warranty deeds ) , in one we live, one is rented and the other will be rented out next year when ready. He does have the rental agreement with the monthly rental amount on it and it actually is our extra income and including that to his job payment he would meet the 125 %. So, can anyone tell me, if assets such as houses and rental income would be added to the actual income ? We purchased the 2 homes for rental this year so nothing is shown on my fiances' last tax return.

Also : in case we would have to use a co sponsor, do both , my fiance and the co sponsor have to fill in my and my daughters name on their I-134 ?

what is the total of your assets and how many dependents do you have? you may clear the threshold by that alone.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a specific segment of tax preparation documents that refers to "Rental Income", so that income will reflect on the tax returns (which have to be submitted) towards evidence of support. If you include the rental income as a contributing factor on the affidavit of support, then it should be sufficient.

Also you will need to provide either 6 months of bank statements or a notarized letter from your bank (or his, whatever the case may be) demonstrating current balances and total of deposits over the last year. If the deposits are recurring then the amount should be reflected in the bank declaration.

As to co-sponsor; yes.

For me....I'm still trying to figure out whether or not to include child support I receive on my 134....... This ####### is so frustrating.

February 2010: Met on Facebook
September 27, 2013: Began Dating

December 21, 2013: Met in person for the first time (Two weeks together)
April 5, 2014: Met for the second time (One week together)
April 11, 2014: GOT ENGAGED!!!!!!!!!
June 29, 2014: Celebrated Canada Day and Independence Day together (One week together)

July 11, 2014: Filed all documents with USCIS for K1 Visa
July 17, 2014: NOA1

July 18, 2014: ARN Changed / USCIS check cleared my bank

September 14, 2014: Expedite requested for financial hardship; Declined for lack of evidence

October 17, 2014: He came to visit me in Atlanta for my daughter's surgery (One week together)

November 7, 2014: Expedite requested for a second time; USCIS unable to access my case for updates....

November 12, 2014: Contact my Congressman to request an inquiry into my case status

November 19, 2014: Receive notice that expedite request has been DECLINED

November 21, 2014: USCIS emailed my Congressman to inform him that the expedite has been APPROVED and will be processed.

This completely means that they re-considered their decision only after Congressional Inquiry

November 26, 2014: NOA2

November 26, 2014: Went to Toronto to Spend American Thanksgiving together (4 days together)

December 9, 2014: Shipment to NVC Notice

December 17, 2014: Received at NVC

December 18, 2014: MTL Case Number and Invoice Number Issued

December 20, 2014: Shipped from NVC to Embassy

December 21, 2014: He came for Christmas with my daughters and I (Two weeks together)

December 22, 2014: Montreal Embassy Consulate Received

December 23, 2014: Packet 3 Received via Email

January 6, 2015: Packet 3 Submitted via Email

January 15, 2015: Packet 4 Received via Email

February 19, 2015: Extended visit with me and my girls (6 weeks together)

May 10, 2015: Anticipated Wedding Date

event.png

Timeline

what is the total of your assets and how many dependents do you have? you may clear the threshold by that alone.

the total of our assets go way over $ 200.000. and my fiance has to count a household of 4. himself, me, my daughter (16 ) who will come with me on K2 and his daughter who is not living with us but he still pays child support.

Timeline

There is a specific segment of tax preparation documents that refers to "Rental Income", so that income will reflect on the tax returns (which have to be submitted) towards evidence of support. If you include the rental income as a contributing factor on the affidavit of support, then it should be sufficient.

Also you will need to provide either 6 months of bank statements or a notarized letter from your bank (or his, whatever the case may be) demonstrating current balances and total of deposits over the last year. If the deposits are recurring then the amount should be reflected in the bank declaration.

As to co-sponsor; yes.

For me....I'm still trying to figure out whether or not to include child support I receive on my 134....... This ####### is so frustrating.

thanks Christie.

and for your child support question : logically I would say that is another income or not and should be added. here is something I just found, don't know if it is of any help.........

Q: Can the petitioner (US Citizen) or joint sponsor who receives housing and other benefits instead of salary count those benefits as income?

A: Yes. The sponsor may count income that is not subject to taxation (such as a housing allowance), as well as taxable income. However the sponsor must prove the nature and the amount of any income if it is not included as wages/salary or other taxable income. Evidence of such income can be shown through notations on the W-2 Form (such as box 13, for military allowances), Form 1099, or other documents that substantiate the claimed income.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

the total of our assets go way over $ 200.000. and my fiance has to count a household of 4. himself, me, my daughter (16 ) who will come with me on K2 and his daughter who is not living with us but he still pays child support.

Just FYI: can't count the house the petitoner/sponsor resides in as an asset. You can count other property as an asset though.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline

Just FYI: can't count the house the petitoner/sponsor resides in as an asset. You can count other property as an asset though.

oh ok, didn't know that. thank you for the info !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Provide proof of the rental income. If it is listed on his most recent tax return, all the better and the best way for it to be accepted. You can provide a copy of the rental agreement and bank statements to show the actual rental amount being deposited to his account.

List the property as assets. Provide appraisals of the property and any documentation of existing liens against the properties in order to get the net value.

Child support can be used, especially if will continue for years. If the children are older and/or the support will not continue very much longer then it may not be accepted. You will need to provide a court order of the child support plus check stubs or bank statements to show the actual child support amount being deposited each month.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Provide proof of the rental income. If it is listed on his most recent tax return, all the better and the best way for it to be accepted. You can provide a copy of the rental agreement and bank statements to show the actual rental amount being deposited to his account.

List the property as assets. Provide appraisals of the property and any documentation of existing liens against the properties in order to get the net value.

Child support can be used, especially if will continue for years. If the children are older and/or the support will not continue very much longer then it may not be accepted. You will need to provide a court order of the child support plus check stubs or bank statements to show the actual child support amount being deposited each month.

thank you very much for your help !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.