DavenRoxy

This Woman Has Been on Welfare for 12 Years

110 posts in this topic

She says she doesn't need to get a job. And this is an example of how welfare has failed our society.

http://conservativetribune.com/woman-welfare-video-12/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

She says she doesn't need to get a job. And this is an example of how welfare has failed our society.

http://conservativetribune.com/woman-welfare-video-12/

This is a fairly old video. There's a 10+ page thread here somewhere about this video. I'll see if I can dig it up.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Can't find it. I think it was one of those threads where Cleo didn't like the subject and then rolled in and caused enough trouble to get it closed. Pretty effective way of suppressing debate on subjects you don't like around here.

Timeline

jeez. go after folks with actual money. get pissed about corporate welfare.

The money that welfare recipients receive is pretty insignificant in the scope of the overall federal budget. The generation after generation of single parenthood, while receiving these benefits and the overall effect that has on society is immeasurable in dollars and cents.

The money that welfare recipients receive is pretty insignificant in the scope of the overall federal budget. The generation after generation of single parenthood, while receiving these benefits and the overall effect that has on society is immeasurable in dollars and cents.

the over all effect of poverty is immeasurable. i'll give you that. call me crazy, but i think it's got to be more beneficial to go after those with actual money, than to soap box and shame poor people and stay angry about not being able to squeeze water from stones. but whatever gets you going.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I lived in a shelter for a brief period of my life in Toronto. One of the first things that people were encouraged to do was apply for Ontario works aka welfare. The mentality of the women who were happy to live on $250 a month just made no sense to me. Some were on disability and received about $850 a month. If you're on disability ok I get it. But many of these women had the ability to work but simply lacked the will in their own words. Minimum wage in Ontario is $11/hr. Personally I'd rather be productive and earn my money. I do not get the welfare mentality, however I also didn't see the shelter staff doing very much to change the mentality. Sometimes I believe that society is to blame.

Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I lived in a shelter for a brief period of my life in Toronto. One of the first things that people were encouraged to do was apply for Ontario works aka welfare. The mentality of the women who were happy to live on $250 a month just made no sense to me. Some were on disability and received about $850 a month. If you're on disability ok I get it. But many of these women had the ability to work but simply lacked the will in their own words. Minimum wage in Ontario is $11/hr. Personally I'd rather be productive and earn my money. I do not get the welfare mentality, however I also didn't see the shelter staff doing very much to change the mentality. Sometimes I believe that society is to blame.

:thumbs:

Edited by Torete

But many of these women had the ability to work but simply lacked the will in their own words. Minimum wage in Ontario is $11/hr. Personally I'd rather be productive and earn my money. I do not get the welfare mentality, however I also didn't see the shelter staff doing very much to change the mentality. Sometimes I believe that society is to blame.

i wouldn't even try to compare welfare in ontario to us welfare. welfare in the us is built to keep people poor. there is ZERO room for improvement, lest you loose your benefits.

the us does not handle mental illness well, if at all. i would say a good chunk of welfare recipients in the us are not personally/mentally capable of working and providing for themselves and unfortunately this is the sector that reproduces and passes such behaviors, learned or ingrained, on to the next generation.

if the welfare system's main goal is not to assist in getting people off of welfare permenantly (realistically, with plenty of support in the areas needed as opposed to withdrawing support the day a penney over the minimum income requirement is made) then we're stuck with status quo, no end in sight but lots of job security for welfare workers.

as a country we're more interested in getting outraged at the poor and making excuses for corporate entities. i guess it's more fun too, when they're black single mothers considering how many damn times i've seen this video.

Blame can be shared amongst many. The largest piece of that pie should sit squarely on the shoulders of personal responsibility.

but that ain't where the money is. waste of time.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I completely get what you're saying, the system is in fact broken. I was simply giving my personal experience with the fact that people are often okay with looking down their nose and turning a blind eye to the poor. That has become status quo.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

i wouldn't even try to compare welfare in ontario to us welfare. welfare in the us is built to keep people poor. there is ZERO room for improvement, lest you loose your benefits.

the us does not handle mental illness well, if at all. i would say a good chunk of welfare recipients in the us are not personally/mentally capable of working and providing for themselves and unfortunately this is the sector that reproduces and passes such behaviors, learned or ingrained, on to the next generation.

if the welfare system's main goal is not to assist in getting people off of welfare permenantly (realistically, with plenty of support in the areas needed as opposed to withdrawing support the day a penney over the minimum income requirement is made) then we're stuck with status quo, no end in sight but lots of job security for welfare workers.

as a country we're more interested in getting outraged at the poor and making excuses for corporate entities. i guess it's more fun too, when they're black single mothers considering how many damn times i've seen this video.

but that ain't where the money is. waste of time.

Genuinely interested to know, in bullet form if possible, what are the differences between Ontario's welfare system and the one in the US. For instance, if the welfare system in the US is built to keep people poor, how is it "built" in Canada...specifically Ontario?

Timeline

the over all effect of poverty is immeasurable. i'll give you that. call me crazy, but i think it's got to be more beneficial to go after those with actual money, than to soap box and shame poor people and stay angry about not being able to squeeze water from stones. but whatever gets you going.

Who's angry? Not me. There's been a real shift in attitudes in this country lately. A shift towards blaming others for their lot in life. If only the govt. did more, life would be better etc. I'm poor because I'm black. The cop shot that poor innocent black kid as he was trying to surrender, simply because he was black. Frankly it's all bull$hit. Anything, and I mean anything, goes nowadays as long it can be blamed on someone else. Personal responsibility is for suckers.