AnyaGuillaume

Help with establishing domicile

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

I was wondering how much do you need to prove that you are established in the US or have the intent to establish domicile? How much proof would be safe and effective for the visa?

For example:

All I have is recent voting registration and that's all.

I don't have a bank account because I closed it when I moved 5 years ago.

However I am going to move back to the same house (my mother's house) with my family at first, then we will get our own place. Should I have a letter from my mom or something saying that is where I lived before?

I can't set up an account overseas, I tried over the phone, but they don't allow.

I have three children that I will make US citizens, but later just before we leave France.

I don't know what school to register my (will be) 5 year old because we don't know what part of town to live in.

What else I can do overseas? I live in France. Is my intent enough to say I moved temporarily to get married and produce children for the last 5 years?

Thanks for your help.

Timeline

Thanks for the help.

I see in the forums that everyone has a bank account in the states. I did have an account 5 years ago, but I closed it. And my bank will not let me reopen a new account without being there in person. Would an old bank account registration packet and a letter stating that the bank will not allow me to reopen without being there be a stupid idea?

Or can you skip this step and find other ways?

Find other ways, or visit the USA and get a bank account, driver's license, voter registration, etc..

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Do you know of any banks that will let you open an account from overseas?

My bank refuses to let me open an account even though I was a client before and my mom is still a client. They need me in person to sign.

Is there any bank in the states that can be opened overseas?

Do you have other evidence? A job/education you'll be starting? Did you keep your state ID current? A bank account alone may not be sufficient evidence, so it's worth your time to think through all of your options.

Try applying with a large international bank - you can probably then send notorized application forms instead of doing it in person.

Or, as NLR says, make a trip to the USA to sort out your bank application and start renewing your status in the US.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Yes, I do have other evidence, such as; drivers license voter registration (I just voted in a local election) i will have a letter from my mother for staying at her place I will see if I can enroll my 4 year old in school Do you think a bank account is absolutly neccessary or can you explain that you will get it as soon as you arrive with your spouse? I have 3 kids and its costly to travel back from France. I was 20 when I left and I closed my account (I had no more money) and I can't figure out how to get by this issue. Will they deny the visa if I don't have an account? What banks are trustworthy?

No I am unemployed and will search for jobs when I get there. It's complicated overseas and I have never worked in the states.

Edited by AnyaGuillaume

Yes, I do have other evidence, such as; drivers license voter registration (I just voted in a local election) i will have a letter from my mother for staying at her place I will see if I can enroll my 4 year old in school Do you think a bank account is absolutly neccessary or can you explain that you will get it as soon as you arrive with your spouse? I have 3 kids and its costly to travel back from France. I was 20 when I left and I closed my account (I had no more money) and I can't figure out how to get by this issue. Will they deny the visa if I don't have an account? What banks are trustworthy?

No I am unemployed and will search for jobs when I get there. It's complicated overseas and I have never worked in the states.

Have you been filing your US tax return every year?

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

No, I have never worked in the states, I was a student, then I left for France when I turned 20 and worked only for 4 months, part time, not enough money to declare.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.