GuidedbyGODkatval

ITR questions regarding my application for US citizenship

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. So next year of august marks my third year here in united states. Since I am marrried to a us citizen, they told me I can file an application next year for us citizenship. Problem is, if they will be looking for my itr, which I filed as a single for itr 2013, are they going to question it? And can i still amend that? Thank you.

I have bank account statements, leases, and other proof that our marriage is not fake.

Yes, they will question it and yes, you can and should amend it. Why did you file as single ?

This.

IR-5 for Mom

02-17-16: Application sent to Chicago

02-23-16: Received official receipt Notice (Form I-797) - NOA1

03-12-16: Received email/text that petition was approved and that they are mailing the notice to me.

03-17-16: Received approval notice - NOA2

04-08-16: Received email from NVC

04-24-16: Submitted DS-261 (Choose an Agent) online

04-25-16: Paid AOS Fee

04-26-16: AOS cleared bank

04-27-16: AOS Fee status changed to PAID

04-27-16: Received email with IV Fee Invoice

05-23-16: Paid IV Fee Invoice

07-14-16: Submitted DS-260

07-15-16: Mailed Affidavit of Support and all Other Supporting Docs

09-13-16: Received email scheduling interview for 10-19-16

09-26-16: Medical Interview - FAILED (need Sputum Test)

10-12-16: Sputum Test PASSED (Negative Result)

12-08-16: Sputum Test Culture PASSED (Negative Result)

12-09-16: Re-scheduled Interview

12-13-16: Interview - PASSED

12-29-16: Received Passport and Visa

The person who prepared our taxes said it would be better if we filed as single. Such a huge mistake. If I am going to amend it, does that mean I'm going to pay the gov't back right? Is the ITR one of the requirements? Thank you so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The person who prepared our taxes said it would be better if we filed as single. Such a huge mistake. If I am going to amend it, does that mean I'm going to pay the gov't back right? Is the ITR one of the requirements? Thank you so much.

You were legally married, but you filed as "single"?

Are you sure that you didn't file as "married, filing separately"?

If you did the former, you probably need to amend your return.

If you did the latter, you don't need to end your return.

Does anyone know if the former is even legal? If you are legally married, I didn't think you could file as single, but I could be wrof.

When you amend your taxes, you'll have to pay back any additional money you owe.

If you are filing base on marriage to a US citizen, then they will look at your returns or tax transcripts.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

You were legally married, but you filed as "single"?

Are you sure that you didn't file as "married, filing separately"?

If you did the former, you probably need to amend your return.

If you did the latter, you don't need to end your return.

Does anyone know if the former is even legal? If you are legally married, I didn't think you could file as single, but I could be wrof.

When you amend your taxes, you'll have to pay back any additional money you owe.

If you are filing base on marriage to a US citizen, then they will look at your returns or tax transcripts.

well said

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As long as you file"married, filing..." you are fine.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi vj members. So now that we are amending my 2013 tax return found out that during the year of 2012 my mother in law claimed m daughter, me and my husband as her dependents since she was helping us financially since we came to united states august of same year. I was able to work ftom oct-dec of 2012 and mu income was only 3000 something and my status is single. Is that ok though or they will still question me? I am so confused.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes I think with a solid 2013 tax return, and recent paystubs you still make at least as much, you will be fine.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

So if the interviewer ask why is my status single on 2012, should i answer him that its because my mother in law claimed my daughter,husband and me and my income was only 3000 since i just started working oct-dec 2014? Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.