nicknackzz

Help with something please

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey i am going to the US again in December :) 3rd time in the US on a VWP to see my girlfriend this time! im heading back with her

Im wondering can i bring my xbox 360 console with me? (im a hardcore gamer) ???

and when i bring my laptop last time they looked through it, why do they do this? i have private things in my laptop, (banking info my log ins for banking and emails and work stuff for where i live and things of this nature)

what is it there looking for when they do this? could i get my GF to bring my laptop for me?

Also.... Do they do background checks on your work back home? work with my sister and im bringing proof of work (which is a paper she has made me up stating where i work and what i do and that im allowed to be traveling there for so long and due back on a certain date) is this okay? and do they do background checks on your work?

Edited by nicknackzz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Tourist Visas from Off Topic - As the OP is traveling with VWP~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Be honest - that's the best approach, but no guarantee things will go the way you want them to.

Traveling on the VWP is no guarantee of entry. In spite of following the guidelines to the letter the last time (only the second trip) my boyfriend (now fiancé) was stopped, lead into the small room and all of his things gone through. The immigration officer couldn't believe he could travel for such an extended stay (he's self employed). He was even told he no longer had ties to Ireland (because his children are adults), imagine - his whole life, other than me is there. They let him come but he was told don't come back for "at least" a year.

We were told by a US immigration attorney that all people entering the country are looked at as wanting to stay - so they need to be convinced otherwise. BTW - He was clearing US customs in Shannon.

I see no reason why you can't bring the Xbox.

I-751

NOA8/11/17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

More Irish?! I'm amazed! lol

I've never had any problem flying to the US on VWP. I'd never had my belongings searched, nor mine or my husbands laptop.

but I did have a pat down once returning from Chicago, guess I look like a bogey? haha

Your xbox would probably be useless because the voltage is different, but I'm not completely sure.

I never brought any letters from my work or anything to say I'd be returning home, but the officer at Dublin Airport was very stern when he said I must return home at the time stated on my ticket, and so I did, as we were just going to the US for a family wedding.

If you've been a target beforem just be honest about returning and bring proof like you stated, the letter should be fine.

Met Online - July, 2009
To see our full timeline see "Spolier"

USCIS
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Dublin, Ireland
Marriage : September, 12th 2012
I-130 Sent : November, 11th 2013
I-130 NOA1: November, 20th 2013
I-130 NOA2 : April, 28th 2014

NVC
Shipped to NVC: May 1st, 2014
Case Received: May 13th, 2014
Case Number Assigned: June 6th, 2014
AOS Bill Paid: June 22nd, 2014
AOS Packet sent Express: June 27th, 2014
AOS Packet Received and signed for by "NVISA*: June 30th, 2014
AOS Packet scanned into system: July 3rd, 2014
IV Bill invoiced and paid: August 7th, 2014
DS260 completed: August 8th, 2014
IV Packet sent Express: August 9th, 2014
ATTEMPTED DELIVERY UNITED STATES 16-Aug-14
11:58 NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS (tried to deliver on a saturday) :lol:

IV Packet Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: August 18th, 2014
IV Packet scanned in: 19th August, 2014
AOS Checklist - August 21st, 2014 http://prntscr.com/4gsyod click link to see the checklist
Fixed AOS (I-864a) Sent to NVC - September 8th, 2014
Fixed AOS Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: September 15th, 2014

CASE COMPLETE - 20th October 2014
Medical Scheduled: November 12th
Interview December 23rd (called October 30th)

Interview Changed to December 8th! (Embassy called me!!)

Interview Result: APRROVED! :dance:

Visa in hand: December 11th!

event.png event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

They are probably looking through your laptop to see if there is anything like talk of moving permanently, a job offer or such.

One year I went to the US 5 times (usually just long weekends), and they got suspicious and puled me into secondary and questioned me, looked at my bag etc.

X-box: yeah you can bring it, but between the danger of it being damaged in transit and the different power source/ plug, you may be better off renting one in the US?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I am surprised you have never had your baggage or/and luggage searched.. I was returning from Ghana in early this year (before the ebola scare) and I had to go to a second room at George Bush Intercontinental Airport. TSA chooses who to search. You can bring your xbox but have it in your hand baggage or the carryon. You could be international travel adapter when you get here. I believe laptops have ' a power converter' because we travel out USA, I have never had to use a different adaptor but im not sure about xbox..just google what you need to bring with your xbox to in other to use it here. Just know that immigration is a privilege so in doing their job, they can basically waste your time with "unnecessary" searches. Good luck

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.