Ruipo

F1 student got married and dropping out school after, dangerous ?

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I found this great sites few weeks back after Me and my bf got married. I plan to drop out school in a month because I am in a art school and it does nothing but draining my money. We were filing out forms today and got stuck in the i 864, My husband has been making cash tips and didn't bother to file taxes in the past few years. But he started doing it after we got married because we figured this is important. So should we wait till the end of the year when he can get the taxes info, or go ahead and file the document, If i drop out school which will be in a weeks and normally you have to go back to your country after that, But i got married to a USC before that, can i stay in the US even we haven't file anything? I heard it will be forgiven because I enter the country legally, but I still want to make sure. Because Once i drop out school my visa should be not longer valid.

In case this is too confusing, here is the simple version:

October 20th, got married while holding F1 visa.

Going to drop out school on November 17. (F1 visa no longer valid)

Planing to file documents for adjustment of status in January 2015.

During November 17 to January if I stay in the US, Will i get into any trouble?

If you stay out of troubles way then you should be good until you file.

Know that the school will terminate your sevis record once you become out of status.

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

It's highly unlikely ICE will come after you for a student visa voilation but there's still a slight risk though. A very small fraction students have been served a notice to appear in court for removal proceedings after status violation when their SEVIS got terminated. If you happen to be one of those unlucky ones, that'll complicate your process as you'll have to adjust status through an immigration judge first as I485 will be denied by USCIS initially. That's where attorney fees will also come to play. I know it's a big waste of money but your safest bet will be just hang in for 1 quarter/semester and throw in your application in janaury as you say. Remember you can always have a joint sponsor who is a citizen or permanent resident and also file as soon as you can though if your husbands income is an issue.

Hi guys, I found this great sites few weeks back after Me and my bf got married. I plan to drop out school in a month because I am in a art school and it does nothing but draining my money. We were filing out forms today and got stuck in the i 864, My husband has been making cash tips and didn't bother to file taxes in the past few years. But he started doing it after we got married because we figured this is important. So should we wait till the end of the year when he can get the taxes info, or go ahead and file the document, If i drop out school which will be in a weeks and normally you have to go back to your country after that, But i got married to a USC before that, can i stay in the US even we haven't file anything? I heard it will be forgiven because I enter the country legally, but I still want to make sure. Because Once i drop out school my visa should be not longer valid.

In case this is too confusing, here is the simple version:

October 20th, got married while holding F1 visa.

Going to drop out school on November 17. (F1 visa no longer valid)

Planing to file documents for adjustment of status in January 2015.

During November 17 to January if I stay in the US, Will i get into any trouble?

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Why drop out of school during the middle of the semester? Haven't you already paid tuition for the entire semester?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why are you attending that course if it is meaningless?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Why are you attending that course if it is meaningless?

I love art, but i just don't want to do school anymore, I mean, you cant really learn much from an art school, and they charge so much!!, Many people find them in a odd place of their life after a few years of college and they realized the school is not gonna help their future. Unless you are doing law, business or medical profession, which is require a degree to get a job. I have wasted 3 years in the art school, I should stop 2 years ago. when people spend the same amount of money to become doctors and lawyers but most art student work at Starbucks. How nice lol

Edited by Ruipo

Why drop out of school during the middle of the semester? Haven't you already paid tuition for the entire semester?

The art school Im going is quarter system, so the school will be ending soon, in 2 weeks, i am planing to drop school before the new quarter so I wont waste anymore money on that school. But I think I will finish this quarter.

Edited by Ruipo

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I love art, but i just don't want to do school anymore, I mean, you cant really learn much from an art school, and they charge so much!!, Many people find them in a odd place of their life after a few years of college and they realized the school is not gonna help their future. Unless you are doing law, business or medical profession, which is require a degree to get a job. I have wasted 3 years in the art school, I should stop 2 years ago. when people spend the same amount of money to become doctors and lawyers but most art student work at Starbucks. How nice lol

Art school would still get you a degree. A degree goes a long way in the working world regardless what it's for.

Art school would still get you a degree. A degree goes a long way in the working world regardless what it's for.

Sad thing is that most professors in the end of the course they will somehow indicates the useless of an art degree, because nobody look at your degree when you have a strong portfolio, You don't need an degree to work anywhere in art you need a portfolio to show that you can, that's it. Unless it is architecture(which require master degree to take the test to be an registered architect). Besides working as an artist to support ones future is unrealistic unless you are very famous.

All the thing below are comes from different professor of my classes in the past 2 years, not my own opinion, and they all tried to work as an artist solely, but it is different when you work in a corporate company, like people who do animations or game design, they will have stable income but they have a lot to learn in school, so they don't really waste money going to art school. But my major is illustration its basically stylize drawing for books and stuff. In my case school doesnt do much to me, it is myself handwork and talent that bring me to any job opportunity. And the tuition is over ten thousand every quarter. Why not just save my last year, forty thousands can do lot of thing even start my own business.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.