Steve & Hazel

Adjustment of Status - Green Card - Processing Time

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Have you thought about extending your employment authorization card? Will it be expiring within the next couple of months? I am worried about applying for an extension and paying the fee just to have my green card come shortly after.

Extension of your EAD is free as long as your AOS case is still pending.

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Mine expires in May next year. I think I'm going to give it until January to see if I get any sort of notification. I hope that by then I'll have SOMETHING, anything lol.

Yes, that is what I will be doing also!

Thank you!! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife had her biometrics done in May and we received an AOS interview waiver in July. However, our letter indicated that if we did not receive a greencard by January, we should then call USCIS.

From what I've heard and read on this forum, it seems like if your interview is waved, it actually delays your case and thus makes it longer until you get your green card. Not necessarily sure if this is 100% true, but that seems to be the general consensus.

We filed early December 2013. Biometrics appointment was 13 January 2014. Potential Interview Waiver letter received early March 2014. Received wife's green card via U.S. mail on 14 August 2014. So it took us 7 months to receive her green card from our Biometrics date. Additionally, in our case, interview was waived. Check out our AOS time-line for more detailed information. Hang in there and good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They received our Finger prints 12/23/2013 receiver waiver 02/27 2014 as of today nothing. Just sent the paper work in to extend the combo card. Office is Chicago . Our will take a year or more it looks like

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I submitted my AOS since March too and had the waiver letter in June but haven't heard anything since then. Mine is Atlanta Field Office.

Did you receive an official waiver letter for the interview? I had a letter explaining that my interview could POTENTIALLY be waived, but the letter wasn't definitive at all.

Edited by Steve & Hazel

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Oh ok thanks and where you able to legally work with a K1 or you had to wait for AOS?

No, Steve & Hazel had received their Employment Authorization Document (EAD), read the thread, in particular their response #15.

To legally work in the US (as far as DHS is concerned), you either need an EAD or Green Card (I-551).

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

No, Steve & Hazel had received their Employment Authorization Document (EAD), read the thread, in particular their response #15.

To legally work in the US (as far as DHS is concerned), you either need an EAD or Green Card (I-551).

ok. Where is the thread. I really don't know this website very well.

Timeline

ok. Where is the thread. I really don't know this website very well.

Don't know if you've managed to navigate your way through this forum, but if not I'll save you some time. Once you cross on a K1 visa, you have 90 days to get married. Within those 90 days, you have to send in the forms for your AOS after you get married (most important of all) and EAD (card allowing you to work and advance parole for leaving the country and coming back). I would suggest you apply for your SSN then too. If you don't apply for your SSN within those 90 days, you'll have to wait until you get your EAD, since your visa will have already expired if done after the 90 days. That's pretty much what happened to me, I had to wait for my EAD before I could get my SSN, and then use the SSN to get my driver's license. Once you receive your SSN, you can then start looking for a job.

I caution you NOT to work unless you have documentation to do so. You don't want to jeopardize the visa process.

Message me on here if you have anymore questions, I'm happy to help. I remember being new to the visa process and this website, I'm pretty sure I was confused one too many times also lol. VisaJourney is a great tool to use throughout whichever visa process you're going through. Members are typically helpful, also, but you will get some who can come off as condescending. Take no offense, though. It's hard to decipher tone on the internet, unless it's blatantly obvious :-).

Good luck!

Edited by Steve & Hazel

Filed: Timeline

Don't know if you've managed to navigate your way through this forum, but if not I'll save you some time. Once you cross on a K1 visa, you have 90 days to get married. Within those 90 days, you have to send in the forms for your AOS after you get married (most important of all) and EAD (card allowing you to work and advance parole for leaving the country and coming back). I would suggest you apply for your SSN then too. If you don't apply for your SSN within those 90 days, you'll have to wait until you get your EAD, since your visa will have already expired if done after the 90 days. That's pretty much what happened to me, I had to wait for my EAD before I could get my SSN, and then use the SSN to get my driver's license. Once you receive your SSN, you can then start looking for a job.

I caution you NOT to work unless you have documentation to do so. You don't want to jeopardize the visa process.

Message me on here if you have anymore questions, I'm happy to help. I remember being new to the visa process and this website, I'm pretty sure I was confused one too many times also lol. VisaJourney is a great tool to use throughout whichever visa process you're going through. Members are typically helpful, also, but you will get some who can come off as condescending. Take no offense, though. It's hard to decipher tone on the internet, unless it's blatantly obvious :-).

Good luck!

Ahhh thank you so much !!!! No is this process about the same if you are here on an F1 visa? My boyfriend has been here (US) for about three years on an F1 and we are planning on making that wonderful step. I really appreciate your help!

Timeline

Mine expires in May next year. I think I'm going to give it until January to see if I get any sort of notification. I hope that by then I'll have SOMETHING, anything lol.

Hey there, I sent you a email/message on here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.