Kittentard

petitioner to move to the UK

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So after he becomes a citizen (3-5 years) what if we wanted to move back to the UK?

Would i have to apply for a visa somehow as well to move with him?

Oh, and when we have kids. would they have dual citizenship or would they just be an American citizen?. Very confused on how this works.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

There is a sticky pinned to the top of this page about 'leaving the UK', at the top of the United Kingdom regional forum, and it really relates to the relatively new regulations for returning to the UK if you have left.

If your spouse is not a UK citizen, some form of visa will be required. I think it falls under family immigrant visas, but someone else could possibly clarify. Be forewarned that there is a minimum income requirement, which is quite high, if you want to bring a a family member back to the UK. The good news is that the UK processes visas much faster than USCIS.

Edited by wbeem
Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

hes a UK citizen (moving here on this) If we want to move back to his home country in 10 years or whatever, does he have to prove income he made here for me to move with him?

There is a sticky pinned to the top of this page about 'leaving the UK', at the top of the United Kingdom regional forum, and it really relates to the relatively new regulations for returning to the UK if you have left.

If your spouse is not a UK citizen, some form of visa will be required. I think it falls under family immigrant visas, but someone else could possibly clarify. Be forewarned that there is a minimum income requirement, which is quite high, if you want to bring a a family member back to the UK. The good news is that the UK processes visas much faster than USCIS.

ill have a look thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will need a visa or resident status to live in the UK, your husband will have to file for you. If your children are born in the USA, they will automatically be US citizens. They can hold dual citizenship but your husband will have to file for that too. The sticky in the regional section about moving back to the UK is great, to find more info about the UK's immigration system, I suggest you visit britishexpats.com, they also have a good forum section dedicated to spousal visas and moving back to the UK. You Can also visit official UK government websites.

Timeline

You will need a visa or resident status to live in the UK, your husband will have to file for you. If your children are born in the USA, they will automatically be US citizens. They can hold dual citizenship but your husband will have to file for that too. The sticky in the regional section about moving back to the UK is great, to find more info about the UK's immigration system, I suggest you visit britishexpats.com, they also have a good forum section dedicated to spousal visas and moving back to the UK. You Can also visit official UK government websites.

Great thank you!

hes a UK citizen (moving here on this) If we want to move back to his home country in 10 years or whatever, does he have to prove income he made here for me to move with him?

ill have a look thanks!

UK immigration laws, as it relates to spouses returning to the country are extremely strict now. Your future husband would have no problems returning to his own country, as afterall he is a citizen. You would have to file for the immigration process, and adhere to the strict financial guidelines.

Your husband would have to make the threshold of:£18,600 while being present in his country.

The promise of a guaranteed job at that rate, I believe for at least six months (don't quote me on this).

or

Savings of: £62,500

for each child you have that wishes to return, even in being dual citizens, the financial burden goes up.

You are allowed to combine various savings + income of a certain threshold.

Only the salaried requirement can be taken into account for the British citizen and not the non EEA spouse (the US citizen). You will not be allowed to work for a period of time, so any job offers cannot be taken into count for you. You are not allowed to seek any financial offers of help, invites from friends or family to help you get settled financially, not even an offer to reside at their homes will be taken into account.

This has caused a great deal of hardship on couples that would like to return to the UK. Therefore I would say, your husband should be prepared to stay with you in the US for some time. If you save and are successful or he would like to return and is offered such a job contract, or the regulations change in the UK government -- that would be your best and only chance.

There will be other hoops you'd have to prove and jump through, but the financial is the biggest one. You may also have to both maintain domicile to some degree in the US (not sure on this).

Once we're married, my guy and I intend to stay in the states for the long haul, beyond visiting -- unless some changes in the UK are made.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ten years who knows what the rules will be. Difficult to see the requiremwnts being weaker.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.